Reaction score
Handicap
So I'm working my way through P90X3, and was wondering if anyone else is doing it? I'll come back and post some mini-reviews as I go (I'm doing it at my own pace) but wanted to see if we could get a group together. Bottom line: I think there is a LOT to like for golf fitness in here, from both a strength and flexibility standpoint, and I'm only through Phase 1!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'm working my way through P90X3, and was wondering if anyone else is doing it? I'll come back and post some mini-reviews as I go (I'm doing it at my own pace) but wanted to see if we could get a group together. Bottom line: I think there is a LOT to like for golf fitness in here, from both a strength and flexibility standpoint, and I'm only through Phase 1!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Three is on my ponder list, but I'm currently doing two right now. Still on phase one and it's the devil. A lot of lower body workout so far, which doesn't make me happy.

Three interests me a lot because of the 30min to do a workout. Seems you can knock that out very fast, especially when time is short. Knowing Tony Horton though, I have a feeling you might be a puddle of goo on the ground after you finish your workout though. 30min means that sucker has to be intense!

been thinking of doing it on my kinect for xbox one. Did a few of the core training ones (not P90X), and that kinect is awesome. It will even read your heartbeat so you know if the workout is doing its job!

I've been doing T25 now for almost two weeks. If you can keep up with Shaun T in those, you'll get fit quick. The entire workout with stretching at the end is 30 minutes. I've lost 4 lbs in that small time frame.

My wife and I are in our 3rd week of P90x3. I really think it will help with my golf, mostly with balance, flexiibility and stamina. Some of the movements remind of parts of the golf swing and the balance needed for the yoga will help for sure. What I am hoping for is to not get tired while golfing and adding 5-10 more yards onto my club lengths. Very excited to see the end results.

So I've just completed Block 1, and I figured I would give my thoughts on it since they are fresh in my head. Overall, I felt like this block had a lot of utility in the golf game, and I think I will come back to several of the work outs over time outside of the P90X3 structure, which is a testament to their effectiveness in my opinion.

ABOUT ME
30 years old
5'10", starting weight 200 lbs
Former military, now federal employee
Office worker
Last year swing speed 93-97 mph

So, about those workouts...

TOTAL SYNERGISTICS
This workout really matches its name, in that it is designed to be full body in nature. If there is any emphasis I picked up, it would be core. Note I said core there, not abs; the trend throughout the Block (and I suspect the rest of the program) is to focus on your full core rather than beach muscles, which should have good results on your golf game. Push-ups, pull-ups, lunges, everything in between here.

AGILITY X
This was unlike anything I had done before. Basically, this was a grown-up, more painful version of ring-around-the-rosey, with tape marks designed to give you locations to aim for on different movements. I'll be honest, I hated this the first time I did it. HATED IT! Mostly because I sucked at it. But, because I sucked at it, I immediately wanted to get better, and by the third go around, I ended up loving it. Lots of upper body-lower body seperation in here, lots of athletic movements in here, lots of power building movements in here. This workout should be one that helps you build the lower body strength you need to hit the ball farther.

X3 YOGA
Full disclosure- I am a convert to yoga. I believe in it, think it is important, have done it for years. Having said that, P90X yoga was ridiculous. Who does 90 minutes of yoga? Even Santa Barbara yoga instructors thought that was dumb. This particular yoga is far different. For one, it sticks to the 30 minute schedule. Two, it is really effective. What do I mean by effective? I mean it has lots of good hamstring work, and lots of challenging balance poses- both areas men in particular tend to struggle. I think pretty highly of it, particularly because the increased full body flexibility is critical to improving your game.

THE CHALLENGE
Oh The Challenge, how I hate you. Really, I love The Challenge, because all it is (haha, all it is :beat-up:) is push ups and pull ups. It just so happens that I am terrible at pull ups. So The Challenge for me really turns into The Survive And Attempt Not To Pass Out. All joking aside, it is well designed in that they tend to try and offset difficult push ups with easier pull ups, and visa versa. I made big gains here just working to improve at something I really suck at, and I can see the lat strength helping in the downswing, but otherwise this might be more for showing off when you fist pump after draining a birdie putt.

CVX
In my opinion, CVX has some of the most value for golf of all the Block 1 workouts. The stamina you build, the core work you do, particularly core work done while standing, is huge. Basically CVX is a cardio workout using a light weight to raise your heart rate while moving it around in different ways. Sounds silly, but the methods you do it in are sometimes quite challenging. I felt it really had some direct correlation at times to the golf swing.

THE WARRIOR
The Warrior is Tony Horton's bodyweight workout designed for military bases. I felt it was plenty challenging, though I've done tons of military bodyweight workouts at military bases. Usually they involve less fun and more yelling. Anyway, this particular workout had a great deal of core work, most of which was Pilates based. If you've never done Pilates, or if you think it's all girly girl stuff, think again. Pilates will turn you into a sweating, crying puddle of goop and not even feel bad about it (more on this later.) This for me was one of the easier workouts, but I have done bodyweight exercise for much of my adult life, so I am accustomed to that. Your mileage may vary.

TRANSITION WEEK
Transition week has several workouts in it, which cut across the whole program. They are: Isometrix, Dynamix, Accelerator, Pilates X, CVX, and X3 Yoga. The concept here is to give your body a week to recover/heal, then get on with the show. Since I covered a few of those previously, I'll briefly cover the ones I didnt.

ISOMETRIX
This was a tough workout for me, because it was non stop unstable plank/sphinx. I shook like a leaf. I look forward to meeting again.

DYNAMIX
The stretching routine of P90X3. Should you chose to do the program you may get a chance to do this at the end of any week, I just chose to wait until Transition Week. Lots of great stretches in here, really loosened me up. Some great mobility exercises in this particular exercise, especially in hip mobility. Tons of utility in the golf game for the future.

ACCELERATOR
SURPRISE! This is actually a decent workout in the middle, with a good amount of leg and core stuff interwoven nicely. I was caught a bit off guard, though I was OK with it.

PILATES X
Holy core pain Batman! I told you Pilates would leave you in a pile of goop. This workout did for me, and that is AFTER all the core work in the previous 3 weeks. Really activates the hip flexors, which many of us office sitters (raises hands sheepishly) need to do more of.

FINAL THOUGHTS
I felt like throughout Phase 1 there was a ton of functional golf utility. I know I FELT stronger, and combined with tracking my food and good eating (THIS IS CRITICAL) I lost between 7 and 9 pounds depending on the day. That's right, I'm currently at 193-191, and dropping. I haven't been out on the course to measure yet, but on indoor simulators (multiple, across several cities) I've brought my swing speed from mid 90's to upper 90's and even broke the 100 barrier. Now, part of that has been a focus on proper sequencing, to be sure. But I must attribute at least part of it to my new found fitness, which is all the motivation I need to keep going.

If you've done the original P90X, how do you think this would compare to doing half of those workouts (so making them ~30 minute workouts instead of ~an hour)?

If you've done the original P90X, how do you think this would compare to doing half of those workouts (so making them ~30 minute workouts instead of ~an hour)?

They're probably a lot more intense since you only have a half hour.

They're probably a lot more intense since you only have a half hour.

I would say that is pretty darn accurate. My original gripe with P90X was the time between exercises. When I workout, I want to go and get it done. With P90X, I felt like I had time to make a ham sandwich between sets sometimes. With P90X3, I barely have time to grab a sip of water on some of them. The workouts are really cut to bare bones, very little rest in between, with the exception of some of the more muscle building/weight lifting ones, where a rest every 3 sets or so is necessary. I find them to be MUCH more up my alley.

Thanks I'll have to look into it. Not only do I not have the time in the morning to work out more, I would burn myself out and quit, like before, if I worked out the full length of the original.

I'm a big p90 fan. I've done p90, p90x, p90x2. I'm on week 5 of p90x3. I enjoy it mainly because of the length. 30 minutes is perfect. I have a job and 2 small kids so the longer workouts don't work for me anymore. 30 minute workouts allow me to spend some time working on my golf game and maintain all my commitments. The workouts are good but I find you need to really push yourself to get the full value of the program. Of course nutrition is key. If you eat a gallon of ice cream daily, no workout plan will get you the desired results. I'm a big fan of the p90 programs because they focus on overall fitness and flexibility. This obviously helps on the golf course. I recommend this program to anyone. Unlike p90x or p90x2, you can start p90x3 at any fitness level.

So, I got my P90X3 last friday, with the intention of starting on monday. That got thrown out the window. I have absolutely no room in my house right now to do a push up, let alone a full workout. Working on finishing up making room in my small basement so that the wife and I can start monday. Super excited. Did the original last year, and liked it, but, couldn't allocate an hour everyday - that would leave my kids to their own devices for way too long. 30 minutes will be perfect, especially since I can do it first hting in the morning with my wife.

Looking into this more now. How's everyone doing on it? Still liking it?

I'm thinking about starting this in the next week or two. My wife is a Beachbody coach and I've seen the results first hand. This combined with Shakeology and she's back to her college weight!

I'm thinking about starting this in the next week or two. My wife is a Beachbody coach and I've seen the results first hand. This combined with Shakeology and she's back to her college weight!

How does she like and do with the coaching? My wife almost did it, but then backed out.

So far this is my favorite of the p90 series

Anybody still doing this? I've just started my second round.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i've always put off doing P90X for the same reasons as you guys, 1+hour workouts just weren't jiving with me. A friend and I have recently been going to the gym during lunch hours now, and its WAY more convenient as i hated wasting time after work or getting up super early to get my workout in. Would rather have those hours to spend with family.

So far though i've only been doing some weightlifting and a little swimming/cardio mixed in, and although i'm stronger and a bit bulkier, i think its time to trim some of the fat and get to work at the core. A 30 min p90X routine sounds pretty amazing and right up my alley as i try to get to a higher fitness level and athletic level to help me on course, or on the ice.

Back