which tee box to play from?? Decisions, decisions .... in the essence of slow play

What's wrong with just labelling them with a colour and a yardage?

I have no issue with it personally, but you and I are in the minority. Most golfers understand the tee boxes just as the OP called them.

I have no issue with it personally, but you and I are in the minority. Most golfers understand the tee boxes just as the OP called them.

Right and I acknowledged that.

I say play what you are comfortable with. Golf is supposed to be a game of fun. Playing from the tips might not be fun if you only drive the ball 190. I have played from the tips before and I was comfortable with it. I have also played from the womens tees and got laughed at for it. I said I don't care! It is amazing how much the course changes when you play from different tee boxes. I suggest everyone try playing from the red tees sometime, it was one of the most fun rounds I have ever had.

This is actually a tip from instructors. It makes you completely change your strategy and use clubs you may have never used on holes.

I play mostly whites but do play the golds also since that what I get to play in our weekly Thursday scramble at my golf course. I really like the whites better because I get to use more different irons and hybrids. I have never played the back tee but I see people playing it every day that can't break 100.

This is actually a tip from instructors. It makes you completely change your strategy and use clubs you may have never used on holes.

I play my home course one day from the blues, next the whites, and the next from the REDS .... just to see the difference and where my misses are so I know what to work on. Just as some people have stated already, play to your ability and put your ego aside and I guarantee you will have more fun in doing so!

Really does test your decision making a lot. I do it a couple times a year just for the practice. Plus, it feels really fun to go driver or even 3w short iron into a par 5.

To the OP, I go off of par 3 length. If they're all over 200yds, that's dumb. If there's that big of a jump from one yardage to another, I'll mix and match a tee box or two as I see fit.

Here.. I fixed the tee boxes for you in two different ways.

1. RED - Shoots > 100
2. Gold - Shoots 90 - 100
3. White - Shoots 80 - 90
4. Blue/Black - Shoots < 80

or

1. RED - Drives < 200
2. Gold - Drives 200 - 220
3. White - Drives 220 - 250
4. Blue/Black - Drives > 250

I disagree. There are plenty of single digit players that can't hit it 250+ (Cory Pavin?) and plenty of bombers that should be playing from the whites. I play to a 6.1 and hit my driver 235 max. But nearly 70% of the time it's in the fairway. Shorter hitters can still play longer courses and some of us enjoy it.

Right and I acknowledged that.

You noted that you hated it, you interjected your opinion, creating a talking point. Acknowledgment was moot.

It's nice to see my area 's courses displaying the PGA tee it forward message and signs and actually implementing them on the tee boxes and club house. Hopefully this makes it more of a public awareness thing than an embarrassment for someone who wants to play the "white".

You noted that you hated it, you interjected your opinion, creating a talking point. Acknowledgment was moot.

It was included as part of my acknowledgment.

I simply stated my opinion that I hated it. Your response was that most people and courses still call it that, which I know.

Anyways, I'll let this get back on topic.

I disagree. There are plenty of single digit players that can't hit it 250+ (Cory Pavin?) and plenty of bombers that should be playing from the whites. I play to a 6.1 and hit my driver 235 max. But nearly 70% of the time it's in the fairway. Shorter hitters can still play longer courses and some of us enjoy it.

I agree with your reasons for disagreeing, that is why I made 2 charts =) .. You can pick that one that suites you best.

It's nice to see my area 's courses displaying the PGA tee it forward message and signs and actually implementing them on the tee boxes and club house. Hopefully this makes it more of a public awareness thing than an embarrassment for someone who wants to play the "white".

I really wish all of the courses around me did that. I think its great for the occasional golfer who may not know about teeing it forward

I see MANY people doing curious things on the course (blue tees, kicking balls out of traps, picking up eight foot putts, etc.). I asked a friend early on in my playing days why this didn't drive him crazy (as it was doing to me), and he said as long as it didn't affect him, he didn't care what they were doing. I liked that. If somebody wants to go out, shoot a 110, and then loudly celebrate their 95 in the bar, good for them. But blue tee thing definitely DOES affect others the majority of the time, IMO.

Really does test your decision making a lot. I do it a couple times a year just for the practice. Plus, it feels really fun to go driver or even 3w short iron into a par 5.

To the OP, I go off of par 3 length. If they're all over 200yds, that's dumb. If there's that big of a jump from one yardage to another, I'll mix and match a tee box or two as I see fit.

When I go out solo I play at whatever box most people are playing (at my home course). Helps keep it fresh and fun for me too. I also like your tee selection on Par 3 length, that's a good way for most to decide as well.

Of course, then there are instances when I play from the forward tee and I blow it by my partners and they say "you should be playing from the tips!" And I say "nope, I enjoy working on my game from 125 yards and in!"

I play mainly whites, just because. I do play from the tips every once in a while, but with courses getting so long what is the fun in hitting a 3 wood every second shot.

Totally agree with the idea that many people play from the wrong tees. Just this past week a friend and I played behind a 4-some playing from the blue tees. They were playing 2 man scramble and on pretty much every hole some team was barely past the women's tees and the other team wasn't too far in front of that. They did not have the game to play from the blues and I personally don't understand why you would want to torture yourself and make the game harder. The only reason I mention it is we were walking and they had carts and we still had to wait almost 5 mins every tee box. Part of the reason for their slow play too was not playing ready golf...that is a huge issue and more important than tee selection.

During the warmer months I like to mix it up between white and blues (because all the par 3s are 200+ yards from the blue tees and 2 to 3 are into the prevailing wind...that just isn't fun to me). I find it a lot more fun to give myself easier scoring chances but know I need to challenge myself from time to time by playing the blues. I have got my handicap down to the higher single digits and at times still feel I shouldn't be playing the blues.

I think skill level should determine tee box but lets face it...most of us are too proud to admit we might not have the game to play the tee box we choose.

I think my course's scorecard use to suggest a tee box by handicap...I think that is a decent indicator but not always appropriate

Totally agree with the idea that many people play from the wrong tees. Just this past week a friend and I played behind a 4-some playing from the blue tees. They were playing 2 man scramble and on pretty much every hole some team was barely past the women's tees and the other team wasn't too far in front of that. They did not have the game to play from the blues and I personally don't understand why you would want to torture yourself and make the game harder.

During the warmer months I like to mix it up between white and blues (because all the par 3s are 200+ yards from the blue tees and 2 to 3 are into the prevailing wind...that just isn't fun to me). I find it a lot more fun to give myself easier scoring chances but know I need to challenge myself from time to time by playing the blues. I have got my handicap down to the higher single digits and at times still feel I shouldn't be playing the blues.

I think skill level should determine tee box but lets face it...most of us are too proud to admit we might not have the game to play the tee box we choose.

I think my course's scorecard use to suggest a tee box by handicap...I think that is a decent indicator but not always appropriate

If you start to play from the shorter set of tees, you just might develop the game to bring you back to tips. Until that point, stay up front and speed up play. "Let's go ... while we're young!"

If you start to play from the shorter set of tees, you just might develop the game to bring you back to tips. Until that point, stay up front and speed up play. "Let's go ... while we're young!"

I agree. I think you can refine your game from the shorter tees...in particular the scoring part of your game (8 iron - wedges).

That is usually my guide, too. I like hitting irons (and maybe hybrids) to par-3's, not fairway woods/drivers.

I play my home course one day from the blues, next the whites, and the next from the REDS .... just to see the difference and where my misses are so I know what to work on. Just as some people have stated already, play to your ability and put your ego aside and I guarantee you will have more fun in doing so!

It also makes you use your brain. A golf buddy of mine will only play blues or the equivalent because he always wants a driver in his hands off the tee. I'll play with old dudes sometimes and play golds or whites or wherever. Definitely end up using a lot of different clubs.

I play from the Whites most often, there are some events or rounds I may play the tips, but not that often and usually on what might be considered easier courses.

It is a difficult thing, as for so long most places have referred to the forward tees as the ladies tees. I think if we could get people to get that out of their head and remove that stigma that playing from shorter tees is looked down upon, or makes you less of a player, it would help a lot. I don't think testing someone before hand would help. Some people may shoot perfectly well from the tips even though they don't hit it very far, where others may bomb it off the tee and then 4 or 5 putt once on the green.

Back