Looking for recommendations around Denver area

perkis

Reaction score
Handicap
My buddy and I are planning a trip out to the Denver area for a week in late May. We will be there a Monday-Fri/Sat.

I have been looking online at courses and would sure appreciate your recommendations on 5-6 courses within 30/45 minutes of Denver.

Looking to play 4-5 courses reasonably priced (<$75) and splurge on a more expensive course that you guys deem worth the green fees. We are looking to walk these courses (if allowed/advised).

Thanks guys.

Tony

Paging J4U & KC720.... If you have one you want to splurge on it would be Bear Dance in Larkspur..... I'll let the local DEN crew chime in on local courses.

Where in Denver? 30-45 minutes limits options. Bear Dance is a must splurge, agree if you don't mind a buck fifty.

Down South
Red Hawk Ridge
Plumb Creek
Ridge at Castle Pines (possible splurge)

West
Fossil Trace
Arrowhead (possible splurge)

North
Colorado National
Green Valley Ranch
Legacy Ridge
Heritage at Westmoor
Common Ground

Get ready for some good exercise walking on some of these!

Last edited:
My buddy and I are planning a trip out to the Denver area for a week in late May. We will be there a Monday-Fri/Sat.

I have been looking online at courses and would sure appreciate your recommendations on 5-6 courses within 30/45 minutes of Denver.

Looking to play 4-5 courses reasonably priced (<$75) and splurge on a more expensive course that you guys deem worth the green fees. We are looking to walk these courses (if allowed/advised).

Thanks guys.

Tony

Colorado National home of my Buffs! Where I played my college golf! Great course. There are a TON within that distance. Fox Hollow, Meadows are a couple others.

Not sure how well it's liked locally, but I always liked Raccoon Creek as a lower cost option.

Where in Denver? 30-45 minutes limits options. Bear Dance is a must splurge, agree if you don't mind a buck fifty.

Down South
Red Hawk Ridge
Plumb Creek
Ridge at Castle Pines (possible splurge)

West
Fossil Trace
Arrowhead (possible splurge)

North
Colorado National
Green Valley Ranch
Legacy Ridge
Heritage at Westmoor
Common Ground

Get ready for some good exercise walking on some of these!

These plus Riverdale Dunes, Todd Creek, WestWoods. All would be under $70. To save money to use on a splurge round, hit up the Denver City courses of Kennedy or Wellshire as they are solid courses at a cheap price. Common Ground would be a must play but it flooded last summer and they had to resod half the course and those holes will not open until mid May.

Splurge rounds would be Bear Dance, Ridge at Castle Pines, Arrowhead. You might be able to find a twilight deal on GolfNow to keep it under $80.

Give us a shout out when you are about to come out and perhaps we can join in.

I throw Deer Creek out there as well. If I come back out there for a visit some time I would love to take a few guys with me to Deer Creek, Plum Creek, and Cherry Creek CC for a round or two as I know the owner to all the courses. Only if I still lived out there!

I lived in CO Springs in the early 90s. If you want an absolute splurge, try to get on at the Broadmoor. It hosted LPGA & Champions Tour US OPens & PGA events. Just remember, all putts break toward the Will Rogers shrine up on the mountain.

Not sure how well it's liked locally, but I always liked Raccoon Creek as a lower cost option.

Racoon creek is a great track. About 70 bucks. Tight with lots of trees. Gets pretty crowded so expect 5 hr rounds there. Lonetree is a great course as well with fast greens and course is set up to punish bad shots.

Splurge courses are Bear Dance (my favorite), Arrowhead, Ridge at Castle Pines. There are so many courses with 45 min drive of metro denver area, really depends on where you are staying. I am sure J4U and Milehighgolfer, as I am, will he happy to meet you and tee it up with you

I throw Deer Creek out there as well. If I come back out there for a visit some time I would love to take a few guys with me to Deer Creek, Plum Creek, and Cherry Creek CC for a round or two as I know the owner to all the courses. Only if I still lived out there!

I will fly you out for a round at Cherry Creek CC as I doubt I'd ever get on there. The others are OK tracks.

Racoon creek is a great track. About 70 bucks. Tight with lots of trees. Gets pretty crowded so expect 5 hr rounds there. Lonetree is a great course as well with fast greens and course is set up to punish bad shots.

Splurge courses are Bear Dance (my favorite), Arrowhead, Ridge at Castle Pines. There are so many courses with 45 min drive of metro denver area, really depends on where you are staying. I am sure J4U and Milehighgolfer, as I am, will he happy to meet you and tee it up with you

I've always played Raccoon early so he rounds were not that long...

I forgot about Raven, but being in Silverthorne that might be too far.

I will fly you out for a round at Cherry Creek CC as I doubt I'd ever get on there. The others are OK tracks.

Well my family is trying to get out there next summer! How about this, when I come out I WILL take you to play Cherry Creek CC!! Jack designed course and unless you have a lot of money, which I don't, we'd never be able to pay for a membership.

Well my family is trying to get out there next summer! How about this, when I come out I WILL take you to play Cherry Creek CC!! Jack designed course and unless you have a lot of money, which I don't, we'd never be able to pay for a membership.

That sir would be extremely generous. As for membership, I do have a lotto ticket for tonight. Only chance I would have.

That sir would be extremely generous. As for membership, I do have a lotto ticket for tonight. Only chance I would have.

I'll let you know....I know we are trying to plan on next summer to visit family. We can hack it up together!

I appreciate the suggestions fellas. Looks like we have it narrowed down to Legacy Ridge, Riverdale Dunes, Fossil Trace, Colorado National, & Highlands Ranch.

Looking forward to the trip. You guys look like you're pretty fortunate to have so many nice courses in such a small radius.

I appreciate the suggestions fellas. Looks like we have it narrowed down to Legacy Ridge, Riverdale Dunes, Fossil Trace, Colorado National, & Highlands Ranch.

Looking forward to the trip. You guys look like you're pretty fortunate to have so many nice courses in such a small radius.

All are great picks. You should enjoy yourselves.

I have not played Highlands Ranch so I can not say how it is. But try to add Green Valley Ranch if you can. Its the home of the Colorado Open played a month after you come out.

All are great picks. You should enjoy yourselves.

I have not played Highlands Ranch so I can not say how it is. But try to add Green Valley Ranch if you can. Its the home of the Colorado Open played a month after you come out.

+1 for GVR

Will take a look at gvr. How about some decent places to eat, maybe some local favorite holes in the wall?

Will take a look at gvr. How about some decent places to eat, maybe some local favorite holes in the wall?

Chubby's!!!!! But I only go during the day. Best burrito with smothered green chili I've had.

Back