Cleveland Classic XL & XL Custom Driver Preview Thread

I posted in the range thread last night, but I can't really give any feedback on the first time hitting the driver as my swing was not working at all yesterday so shots were all over the place

Everything (and this was all clubs from the driver to my 8i) was turning from left to right with varying degrees of movement and I am not sure if it is a result of the stiff shoulder I have had for a few days not letting me swing freely....I do know that if my swing is off with every club I swing then it is usually something simple but my brain obviously wasn't comprehending what I was doing yesterday

Despite this, there were a couple of 'better' hits, and once I can get my swing working again I am looking forward to seeing what the Classic XL can do for me

Anyone tried a proforce v2 shaft in the xl classic head? If so how does it compare to the stock shafts?

I currently have the jdl6s in and find the flight a little too high. Good carry and flight just a bit high for me. Always loved the proforce shaft and have a 66gm x flex lying about that I will cut down to 44inches from butt end and ad some head weight to soften up a bit. Would that bring the launch and flght down a little and make it more controllable?

just pulled my driver out again for the first time since october and hit up the virtual golf place near my work. the clubs were cold from sitting in the trunk but i let it warm up for 15 minutes before swinging it. a couple hits and i'm getting no distance.....a few minutes later i find the club sole weight sitting on the floor, with the housing as well. so the screw portion didn't come out, the weight screw AND the part that it screws into completely came out of the hole in the back of the sole.

I do have some club epoxy at home, should i just epoxy this myself or has anyone else had this issue and needed a replacement or anything?

That's a new one to me.

That's a new one to me.

it doesn't look like anything is broken. it's not like the screw stripped or snapped off, but the entire "assembly" of the screw & housing that it screws into, just fell out of the port hole. I would think that even from the factory that part is just epoxied in?

I would send it straight back to Cleveland!

I would send it straight back to Cleveland!

i sent them an email and already got a response back from the Head guy over at the canadian division. he told me it's rare, but he has seen a few instances like this. He said there are no special parts to it, and if i was to send it in they would definitely fix it for me, but the extent of the fix would just be epoxying it back into the port which was what i was going to do anyways. I need my driver for vacation next week so i don't have time to ship it in, but i'll do the home fix for right now which he said was fine, and if any futher problems arose that i should have them take a look at it. Really i just wanted to confirm with them that there wasn't anything special about the weight that needed any further attention besides some glue.

In any case, i like the quick response and customer service so far, +1 cleveland!

My local shop just got one of these in on trade-in and I'm very much wanting to hit it. May swap out the G20 for it and put the XL in play over the weekend to test the waters. In the past 6 months I've gamed the RBZS2, Covert Tour, and G20 and just haven't been COMPLETELY satisfied with any..

Will the XL be my ticket to happiness? We shall see.

Is it the Custom or just the bonded driver?

Nice. Let us know how it works out if you pull the trigger.

Nice. Let us know how it works out if you pull the trigger.

Here ya go hawk.. I even picked up his friend for a try-out..

Oops I lied, bonded version..

egasebe3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might need my head examined, but I picked up a new Classic XL 10.5 B.asha 4S. I say 'need my head examined' because it may be another month or two before I can put it into play this year, still under winters icy grip here. Good thing it is a beautiful club to look at since that is about all I can do for the time being.

I did get desperate yesterday though and drove down to Mr. Golf in GB to hit some balls out into the frozen wasteland. Despite the fact it was 26 degrees, windy, and the balls felt like rocks, I hit some pretty solid drives once I got warmed up.

It looks really weird to watch golf balls skid on the ice after landing.

Might need my head examined, but I picked up a new Classic XL 10.5 B.asha 4S. I say 'need my head examined' because it may be another month or two before I can put it into play this year, still under winters icy grip here. Good thing it is a beautiful club to look at since that is about all I can do for the time being.

I did get desperate yesterday though and drove down to Mr. Golf in GB to hit some balls out into the frozen wasteland. Despite the fact it was 26 degrees, windy, and the balls felt like rocks, I hit some pretty solid drives once I got warmed up.

It looks really weird to watch golf balls skid on the ice after landing.

Congrats on the purchase. I game the Classic XL with the asha 4r and it is by far the best driver I have ever it. I couldn't whack a bad shot if I tried.

Congrats on the purchase. I game the Classic XL with the asha 4r and it is by far the best driver I have ever it. I couldn't whack a bad shot if I tried.

Thanks, it's the best one I have found too...so far. It's nice to get the launch and spin I'm looking for (high launch, low spin) without having to go to a 9* or lower head, or the expense of trying multiple custom shafts. This was the first time I found a Classic XL with the 10.5 that had the 4s shaft. I was gaming the 270xl 9* for a few years because of the bombs it could and would often drop, but even in the stiff flex it was a little soft and the 9* head didn't help much with dispersion. This combo, however, seems to be just as long, just as easy to hit, and better dispersion to boot.

Still loving the Classic XL. I'm confident that I have the right driver this year. I hit half a large bucket of balls with it today, with great results. The first few were thin, only two went right (1 push and 1 push fade), the rest were down the middle. I can't remember the last time I hit so many good shots with a driver, probably because I never have before. lol

Had my Classic XL (10.5 with B Asha 4r) on the course for the second time today since purchasing it and it seems to work pretty well for me so I am not going to be in any rush to change it I reckon

My typical driver shot when I previously had one in the bag was always a big fade/slice, but I made a couple changes to my grip whilst practicing on the range and everything now is either straight or a slight fade so my confidence in the club has gone straight to top level - I did have a couple of straight pulls but that is most definitely me and not the club and considering how short a time I have had it, I am not going to worry about the odd bad shot

My typical driver shot when I previously had one in the bag was always a big fade/slice, but I made a couple changes to my grip whilst practicing on the range and everything now is either straight or a slight fade so my confidence in the club has gone straight to top level - I did have a couple of straight pulls but that is most definitely me and not the club and considering how short a time I have had it, I am not going to worry about the odd bad shot

What changes did you make to your grip? I was having success with my XL Custom until recently, but now every shot is a huge slice. I've lost confidence to the point where I'm only taking a 3W out on the course.

It was as simple as turning my left hand slightly so that I could see more of my knuckles

I do have a slight OTT move that was causing me problems with every club but I have almost got that sorted out so I am now at a point of knowing what my swing is going to produce 99.9% of the time

It was as simple as turning my left hand slightly so that I could see more of my knuckles

I do have a slight OTT move that was causing me problems with every club but I have almost got that sorted out so I am now at a point of knowing what my swing is going to produce 99.9% of the time

I'll give that a try at the range this week. Some swing changes during lessons this month have me cutting across the ball more with my irons, giving a baby fade which I really like. Just gotta get the woods sorted out as the same swing with is a major slice. :(

It didn't take much, but I think the ball position for the driver was exaggerating the open club face I obviously had, but the change in grip straightened the ball flight for me

Hope you get it sorted

I've been toying around with some of the newer drivers lately, and they're really great, but the XL was just money today. First time with it on the course and hit it really well. I hit a low pull on the first tee (jitters I guess), but I got lucky with it, and the most of the rest were great. I hit a couple towards the toe that ended up in the left rough about 225, but I still had a shot at the green.
My drives were going farther than I expected for a 40 degree, breezy day as well. I hit one right at 250 in the middle, with a prov1. I'll take that any day. I hit driver on holes today that I really didn't need to and didn't get burned. I didn't hit a single drive out into the woods, or an adjoining fairway. That may well be a first for me.

So I got my hands on a classic custom in 10.5 with kusala white 61x!
Played it for the first time today and I couldn't be more impressed!!
So forgiving I even tried to hit heel and toe shots but the thing just launched high and went straight!
Much more forgiving than my (now old) gamer RBz with fubuki tour!
I can't wait to get on flightscope and see the numbers!!

Back