tflint

Reaction score
Handicap
So I am looking at making a minor overhaul of my bag for the 1st time in years. I am just getting back in to the game after having been away for a couple of years. I am looking from some opinions (from people who have more expertise than myself) on what club changes I should make to have a better all-around bag. I currently do not have a handicap, but I shoot high-90s low 100s. So use that as a point of reference when evaluating my setup.

Here is my current bag:
r1 Driver-10*
r7 ST 3W- 15*
r7 ST 7W- 21*
Ping G5 3 iron- 21*
Ping G5 4 iron- 24*
Ping G5 5 iron- 27*
Ping G5 6 iron- 30.5*
Ping G5 7 iron- 34*
Ping G5 8 iron- 38*
Ping G5 9 iron- 42*
Ping G5 PW- 46*
Ping G5 SW- 54*
Ping G5 LW- 58*
Ping G5i B60 Putter

I am thinking about changing/swapping out fairway woods and long irons for hybrids and/or changing around my wedge setup for something else. I know I have a redundancy at the 7W/3 iron spot, just not sure what to do with it. I am looking for a good setup that will serve me well as I get really serious about improving my game over the next couple of years.

I appreciate any thoughts or feedback.

I think that swapping out the 3 and 4 iron for a couple of hybrids is a great place to start.
Good luck and keep us updated !

I think that swapping out the 3 and 4 iron for a couple of hybrids is a great place to start.
Good luck and keep us updated !

Thanks for the feedback. So in this case would I leave the 7W in my bag and replace the 3 and 4 iron with 2 Hybrids in the 21-25 range? Or is that getting them to close and just being redundant?

My first recommendation would be to spend a few sessions at a range and figure out your distances to see if there are any weird gaps. From there I'm okay with replacing everything/anything from your 3w down to 6i with new woods/hybrids. For the wedges, I would guess there would be a bigger gap b/w your pw/sw than the sw/lw, so might want to get a new sw that splits the gap better. Good luck and have fun!

Either keep your 3 iron/7 wood or get a new 3 hybrid. Then get a 4 hybrid. And maybe ditch the wedges and pickup a new gap. Sand and lob wedge

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My first recommendation would be to spend a few sessions at a range and figure out your distances to see if there are any weird gaps. From there I'm okay with replacing everything/anything from your 3w down to 6i with new woods/hybrids. For the wedges, I would guess there would be a bigger gap b/w your pw/sw than the sw/lw, so might want to get a new sw that splits the gap better. Good luck and have fun!

I agree - you need to figure out your yardages and then any gaps will show up quickly.

First thing I would do is get a 4h. From there, if you like the 7w and hit it well, I would keep it, as it should gap well with a 4h. In theory, a 7w should be interchangeable with your 3i or 3h but in practice, it may or may not be, you will have to see how it gaps.
Only other "gap" on paper is 5w, but honestly, not sure it's an immediate need.
If it were me I would look for a 4h first, get comfortable with it, then just go from there after spending time with everything else you already have.

I would consider seeking a professionals assistance. Many variables could determine which clubs to ditch/pick up...I wish you best with your game.

I'd have to agree with range sessions to see what distances you're hitting your current set up to get an idea of gapping and then go from there. Heck I even think Golf Galaxy offers a "gapping" fitting. Not to mention if you plan on buying some new clubs I'm sure they'd be more than happy to let you hit some balls with your current set up to get an idea of what you're looking for and go from there.

First thing I would add in place of possibly the 3I, is adding a GW/AW in the 50* range.

Couple questions, how do you hit your long irons/fairway woods? If you hit the woods well, and have your gaps covered, I wouldn't change. If you hit your 4I well, I would keep that as well.

Based on those answers, I would look at maybe a 4W/7W combo, or stick with the 3W pull out the 4I and add a couple different hybrids, of if you like what you have going, I wouldn't change a lot.

Whatever you do, go hit whatever you options you are thinking of before buying. When I have made changes in the past and didn't put the options head to head, anytime I hit a bad shot I would wonder if I should have gone the other way....

First thing I would add in place of possibly the 3I, is adding a GW/AW in the 50* range.

Ya,I missed that. I would no doubt add a gap wedge first. Then the 4h and honestly, I think you have a good bag to work off of then. Play it from there to see where you may want to go from there.

Your 5i-PW is fine. After that you'll want to figure out if you're a "go for the green on par 5's to score" type of player or "layup to a wedge distance to score" type of player. I'll lay out a couple typical bag setups for both types of player. I'm not a fan of wedges with more loft than 58° so I base my bags around this end point.

Go for the green in 2 on par 5's bag: Driver XX°, 3w-15°, 5w-18°, 3H-21°, 4H-24°, 5-PW, SW-52°, LW-58°
Layup to a wedge distance's bag: Driver XX°, 4w 16°, 3H-20°, 4H-24°, 5-PW, GW-50°, SW-54°, LW-58°

My only suggestion is switch the 7w for a 5w and your 3I for a 3 Hybrid

Lots of hybrid love here. Is it a known fact that long irons suck. I have missed the memo. Can a hybrid do anything an iron can do? That is an honest question. Tone don't come through well on internet.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Lots of hybrid love here. Is it a known fact that long irons suck. I have missed the memo. Can a hybrid do anything an iron can do? That is an honest question. Tone don't come through well on internet.

They are easier to hit for some and usually hit the ball much much higher than the comparable iron. This allows for a softer landing into the greens.

Can it? Yes. Will it work for everybody? Of course not. But simply by design they will be easier to launch and hit and offer more forgiveness.

I'm going to add to the hybrid love here. I've gone as far from dropping all fairway woods from my bag and carrying a 17* hybrid as the next club after my driver. They are just far easier to hit from a multitude of different lies compared to something like a 3w or 2 iron.

Thanks for the comments everyone, this is very helpful. I think that getting my distances down at the range and looking for gaps is good advice. I will do that for sure.

First thing I would do is get a 4h. From there, if you like the 7w and hit it well, I would keep it, as it should gap well with a 4h. In theory, a 7w should be interchangeable with your 3i or 3h but in practice, it may or may not be, you will have to see how it gaps.
Only other "gap" on paper is 5w, but honestly, not sure it's an immediate need.
If it were me I would look for a 4h first, get comfortable with it, then just go from there after spending time with everything else you already have.

So I am assuming in this scenario I would drop my 3i (keeping the 7W) and add a 4H (which replaces the 4i)? Then I guess I would be a club down that I could use to add a gap wedge?

Is the hybrid I get going to be different based on the brand? For example, if I bought a SLDR Rescue, would I really want a 5H so it is the same 24* loft as the 4i I am pulling from the bag?

Is the hybrid I get going to be different based on the brand? For example, if I bought a SLDR Rescue, would I really want a 5H so it is the same 24* loft as the 4i I am pulling from the bag?

If you have access to a launch monitor get the club that fills in the gap for you. I hit a 20° hybrid about 225/230 but my 3i only 212. So a 3H wouldn't be a direct replacement for my 3i.

Back