Nxt Tour S vs Chrome+

Franklin51

On the Verge
Reaction score
Handicap
I know the obvious urethane cover differences but anybody played both head to head and what's your thoughts. Looking at changing from ProV1 and narrowed down to these two

Totally different ball. Outside of price, they are nothing like each other.
One is a tour level premium ball and one is a surlyn covered ball.

If you want a ball to compare to the NXT Tour line, you would look at the Bridgestone e6 or e7, Callaway X2Hot, Srixon Q-Star, etc.

I agree with JB. Chrome+ is worlds ahead of the NXT

I have played, and like both choices. However, with the Chrome+ going away, you can find some decent deals, making them similarly priced, or even less than the NXT Tour S.

I have played, and like both choices. However, with the Chrome+ going away, you can find some decent deals, making them similarly priced, or even less than the NXT Tour S.

I was under the impression that the Chrome+ was sticking around at least through this season. I definitely hope it does.

I've played both balls quite a bit. The Chrome+ is better for me with every shot, from tee to green. Less driver spin, more greenside spin, great feel off the putter. NXT Tour S is a good all around ball, and I prefer it to maybe any other surlyn ball (between this and e6 for me), but the Chrome+ is one of my favorite balls all time.

sent from The Note 3

I was under the impression that the Chrome+ was sticking around at least through this season. I definitely hope it does.

I've played both balls quite a bit. The Chrome+ is better for me with every shot, from tee to green. Less driver spin, more greenside spin, great feel off the putter. NXT Tour S is a good all around ball, and I prefer it to maybe any other surlyn ball (between this and e6 for me), but the Chrome+ is one of my favorite balls all time.

sent from The Note 3

Thank you sir that's what I wanted to hear

sent from The Note 3

Perhaps I am mistaken, then (wouldn't be the first, nor will it be the last time). The stores in my area are trying to get rid of Chrome and Chrome+ inventory (just wish the Chrome+ prices would dip a little bit more).

I would think it'd stay one more year

Rambler I hope you're right about the price falling. I'll buy enough to last a few seasons. Though I think I have 5 boxes already. Love this ball!

sent from The Note 3

Perhaps I am mistaken, then (wouldn't be the first, nor will it be the last time). The stores in my area are trying to get rid of Chrome and Chrome+ inventory (just wish the Chrome+ prices would dip a little bit more).

They aren't going away this season. SR Line along with the Chrome+ and then the X2Hot line as well

They aren't going away this season. SR Line along with the Chrome+ and then the X2Hot line as well
Callaway would be stupid to get rid of the Chrome+ this year and they know it, nobody is convinced yet by the SR line. I don't think the Chrome+ vs. the NXT Tour S is even a contest - same price, performance is light years ahead.

Callaway kind of screwed themselves with the Chrome+ because it's an overall better performer, IMO, than both the Hex Black & Lethal were (granted the Lethal was long as hell, but that's it) so why would anyone pay $15 more for either?! It also stacks up head to head , performance-wise (distance, flight, spin) with the ProV1 but is not quite as soft feeling in the short game. Just a very good ball at a great price.

Callaway would be stupid to get rid of the Chrome+ this year and they know it, nobody is convinced yet by the SR line. I don't think the Chrome+ vs. the NXT Tour S is even a contest - same price, performance is light years ahead.

Callaway kind of screwed themselves with the Chrome+ because it's an overall better performer, IMO, than both the Hex Black & Lethal were (granted the Lethal was long as hell, but that's it) so why would anyone pay $15 more for either?! It also stacks up head to head , performance-wise (distance, flight, spin) with the ProV1 but is not quite as soft feeling in the short game. Just a very good ball at a great price.

I agree with some of this, but think you are making some pretty big generalization here. When you say better, obviously you mean for yourself. I happen to find the Hex Black better for my game than the Chrome+, which is probably why the SR3 is the best ball for me in that line.

Many companies release new balls each year. Not sure how the Lethal fits in because that was TaylorMade, but the Hex Chrome+ was a release after Hex Black and Hex Chrome and many thought it offered the best properties of both.

Listening to them discuss the SR series, its hard to say the above. It is built with options in mind and that should be a good thing to most golfers in my opinion.

FWIW, and this is strictly my opinion...Nobody was convinced by the Hex Chrome + either based on a lot of factors. SR line comes out of the gate early and wins at the highest level. While I dont think that should impact anybody, it does and its hard to say nobody is convinced when that is happening.

Most of the country is not even playing golf yet, so I think time will show why they released this line based on our early testing and those that were in #TheGrandaddy and Ultimate Club Testing both came away raving about it.

Rambler I hope you're right about the price falling. I'll buy enough to last a few seasons. Though I think I have 5 boxes already. Love this ball!

I did that with the TM Red LDP - used that ball for more than 2 seasons. Could definitely see myself doing the same with the Chrome+. Though, I do have a couple of sleeves of the new SR2 that I haven't used, yet, so we'll see what happens with those. Just based on last year, I really liked the Chrome+, and loved that I could get it in yellow. If the SR2 ends up being better, than I'll have to at least think about the value proposition of the Chrome+ versus the SR series. And, that's only the Callaway line. So many good ball choices, now.

Back