Attending My first PGA event....

Michigan Slice

This Guy Cant dance...
Reaction score
Handicap
I will be attending my first PGA event in April.

There is a tournament called the Masters, and I will be attending a practice round.

What are some do's and dont's that I need to know to make this the best expierence possible?

Wow that will be an amazing experience, I've always wanted to go. I've never been so I can't help you though.

Do: Eat a pimento cheese sandwich
Don't: Forget to get me some autographs and memorabilia

Have you already found a room. I know everything for miles around is usually booked up well before the tournament. So if you plan on staying at a hotel and havent booked a room yet, I would do so with haste. If that is already covered then you can look for some other activities to occupy your other time there. Augusta isnt really that big of a city but there are some things to do and with the masters in town I would be there are some special events taking place. I have a cousin who has been a few times and lives in the area so if you would like I could try to get some more info from him.

Plan on doing a lot of walking cause your gonna wanna walk around the entire course. I went last year and it was incredible, bring plenty of money for food cause those $1.50 sandwiches get pricey. lololol In all seriousness your gonna wanna spend a lot in the gift shop and buy yourself a chair cause it does come in handy from the walking your gonna do. I'll be there Tuesday

I will be attending my first PGA event in April.

There is a tournament called the Masters, and I will be attending a practice round.

What are some do's and dont's that I need to know to make this the best expierence possible?

Specific to the Masters:
*Don't run anywhere! They frown on that.
*Make sure you take a credit card with a high limit. EVERYONE that you know that plays golf will want Masters gear. Go in the front gates as early as possible, then look to the right and the main gift shop is right there. Buy everything you want 1st thing in the morning, and then you can leave it at a will call and pick it up at the end of the day. They will even arrange to have all of your merchandise shipped back to your home if you don't want to deal with dragging it around at the end of the day.
*Walk the entire course at the start of the day, then pick some holes where you want to watch.
*On at least one par 5 and one par 3, take a position directly behind the tee as close to the ropes as possible. Prepare for your jaw to drop when you hear the sound of the ball coming off of the clubface. Plus, you can hear some good conversations being right along the ropes.
*Take some time to watch #16, the pros will try to skip the ball across the pond onto the green.
*Eat as many sandwiches as you can, the prices are insanely low for a sporting event.
*You can take pictures during a practice round, but no flash, and try not to take one during a player's backswing.

Specific to the Masters:
*Don't run anywhere! They frown on that.
*Make sure you take a credit card with a high limit. EVERYONE that you know that plays golf will want Masters gear. Go in the front gates as early as possible, then look to the right and the main gift shop is right there. Buy everything you want 1st thing in the morning, and then you can leave it at a will call and pick it up at the end of the day. They will even arrange to have all of your merchandise shipped back to your home if you don't want to deal with dragging it around at the end of the day.
*Walk the entire course at the start of the day, then pick some holes where you want to watch.
*On at least one par 5 and one par 3, take a position directly behind the tee as close to the ropes as possible. Prepare for your jaw to drop when you hear the sound of the ball coming off of the clubface. Plus, you can hear some good conversations being right along the ropes.
*Take some time to watch #16, the pros will try to skip the ball across the pond onto the green.
*Eat as many sandwiches as you can, the prices are insanely low for a sporting event.
*You can take pictures during a practice round, but no flash, and try not to take one during a player's backswing.

^^^^^This^^^^^ Do all of this! CJ, you will LOVE this. I wish you had said something on Saturday when we played, but I would have told you exactly what Ary did. When do you want me to place my gift shop order? :act-up: Man, so happy for you that you get to experience this!

JM

Oh, you won't believe the elevation and relief of the terrain once you are there!

JM

Plan on doing a lot of walking cause your gonna wanna walk around the entire course. I went last year and it was incredible, bring plenty of money for food cause those $1.50 sandwiches get pricey. lololol In all seriousness your gonna wanna spend a lot in the gift shop and buy yourself a chair cause it does come in handy from the walking your gonna do. I'll be there Tuesday

Me too!
Myself and Gio (gcruz86) will be there.

I went last year Tuesday too, your gonna simply be in awe. What Ary said is dead on. Bring yourself a good camera cause you could get some great pics.

Congrats CJ! Enjoy it that's awesome!

CJ, I'd love some Master's stuff if you can get your paws on it! Figured I'd drop that since ary mentioned it anyhow haha!

Congrats enjoy every minute of it. Jump around all over the course. Don't forget autographs and pictures.

A nice Masters signed flag is always the best gift.

That is awesome CJ, enjoy it man. Ary's given some awesome pointers. one day I hope to make it down there.

Congrats on going! Ary's advice seems to be spot on. Have a Blast!

Room booked Columbia,SC!

I have questions about parking, I see there is free first come first served, If we get to the course early 2 hrs or so before the round is this plenty of time?

Any other tips also appreciated, I am really looking forward to this!

Room booked Columbia,SC!

I have questions about parking, I see there is free first come first served, If we get to the course early 2 hrs or so before the round is this plenty of time?

I think you should be good. Gives you enough time to get to the course, get those souvenirs, as the good stuff tends to go early, then catch some of the early guys going off.

Have a blast. What an awesome first PGA event!

Room booked Columbia,SC!

Stand still when the marshall says quiet. Be sure you know who the golfer is before you give him an "Atta boy". All mistakes I made at age 16 during my first Western Open. If Tiger is playing, he's friendly on day 1 or day 4(if he's not in the running). He once commented to me about a shirt iwas wearing that said, "SIU Women's Rubgy - Rude, Crude and Nearly Nude."

Spend time at the range and putting green and experience the ability of even the "lowest" player. Tee box and green are the best vantage points. You can't see a thing from the fairway.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

Wow, your first PGA tourney ever is at the Masters? That's like having your first pro football game be the Superbowl.

I've never been to the Masters (yet) but I have been to three US Opens. And a lot of other regular tour events, too. The majors have an awesome "tension" to them. It's like going to a playoff game - you just know it's something special. Enjoy it ! And you will be completely, utterly amazed at the skill of the players. You just can't see the skill on TV like you can in person. You'll either be inspired to practice your game a lot more, or just quit and give it up. :)

No matter your age or fitness level, you will get tired and run out of steam at some point. I like the advice others gave you - walk the course first, then get a chair and sit in a good spot for awhile.

Your mom would say to stay hydrated and use sunscreen, and she'd be right about that.

Buy swag, swag, and more swag. I spent almost three hundred dollars at Merion last year and I'm still kicking myself for not getting a few things that I should have.

Lucky guy,,, just watch how many different swing styles there are.. That is what I enjoy...and they all work

Room booked Columbia,SC!

The parking lot adjacent to the side gate is pretty large. I believe I got there about 30min after the gates opened when I went and didn't have any trouble parking. It's going to be a nightmare getting in and out of there though, just be ready to wait. In fact, you might want to grab a sandwich or two to go. I believe it took me 45min to leave the parking lot?

Be prepared to wait in long lines at the merchandise tent. I would go right when it opens and plan on dropping $300 or more for yourself, Masters stuff is timeless.

Come hungry - the food is incredibly cheap - all the sandwiches and beers are $2 or less. Don't even think about trying to sneak in a cell phone - the security guys are like the secret service if you violate the no cell phone policy.

Be prepared to wait in long lines at the merchandise tent. I would go right when it opens and plan on dropping $300 or more for yourself, Masters stuff is timeless.

Come hungry - the food is incredibly cheap - all the sandwiches and beers are $2 or less. Don't even think about trying to sneak in a cell phone - the security guys are like the secret service if you violate the no cell phone policy.

The metal detectors will pretty quickly stop you from bringing a phone in. Granted it's a practice round so it may be different? A camera would probably take better photos for what it's worth.

CJ, if you're camping out at some point, I recommend 6 tee box. You'll be able to see all of 6, as well as 7 tee, 17 tee, all of 16, and the 15th green. You should be able to see them back up the hill hitting their approach shots into 15 as well. Lot of golf to see in an itty bitty space hehe

The metal detectors will pretty quickly stop you from bringing a phone in. Granted it's a practice round so it may be different? A camera would probably take better photos for what it's worth.

CJ, if you're camping out at some point, I recommend 6 tee box. You'll be able to see all of 6, as well as 7 tee, 17 tee, all of 16, and the 15th green. You should be able to see them back up the hill hitting their approach shots into 15 as well. Lot of golf to see in an itty bitty space hehe

This is true. I really enjoyed parking behind #12 tee as well. You can watch approaches into and putts at #11, tee to green on #12 and the tee shot on #13.

Envy you CJ!

JM

Back