Swing advice ( what age do you start youngsters swinging? )

Mystery Meat

Ben Hogan Fan
Reaction score
Handicap
Bad Gas
Tadashi

read in a post about teaching your 5 year old son the great game of golf. Awesome stuff man

Question for u / others

1) what age to start
2) how do you know if they want to do it / or not?
3) at a young age,,some kids are very independent and want to do on their own. How to you correct obvious faults without angering the child?
4) women's cut down clubs fine?
5) real golf ball/ tennis ball or plastic ball?

if this thread is in wrong place,,please move

just curious.. Son is almost 3 .. I tried with him, but he gets super angry and uses cut down club like a rake..lol

Our daughter just turned 5 a week or so ago and had her first golf lesson last week. She wasn't too keen on taking my advice, but she worked well with an instructor at our club.

My 5 week old daughter has already had a lesson in grip. Next week we're going to correct her getting stuck on the downswing :)

I'd say 4-5 years old, teach then the absolute basics and pray that they find it interesting otherwise its back to the wife "This one doesn't like golf, let's try again"

Maybe my son is onto something..using the club like a rake. Wonder of I can get more club head speed doing that?

:)

just joking..I tried to show him.. And all he said " I do it..I do it" than when he gets louder..best to just back away. Maybe try a few years down the road.

I don't correct her swing. I let her have fun. Once they have fun swinging, you can work on getting them better.

My daughter is 4. I haven't tried a swing yet but started her with a putter. She likes to hit it on the birdie ball, and she also likes to come with me and ride in the cart. She will tend the flag and then just drop the ball somewhere and take a few putts. My only goal at this age is to make it fun. I may start with a club later this year and see if she cares to hit it.

Cool stuff.. I'm getting the vibe, if they really don't care for it.. Don't force it,.either they will or won't.

My son started at 5 and my daughter as well with an indoor scheme using plastic clubs and bigger plastic balls , the PGA pro that runs the class is the area junior coach anyway so he makes it fun and they learn without realising. They both then graduated to junior group lessons , I found them a pro that has a structured plan , it works for my two , but every kid is different. The US KIDs golf clubs are very good as they have a range that is height based and are forgiving and have kids shafts in. Ranger junior is on the last size set now and has a few ladies clubs as well as he just isnt strong enough and swinging hard enough for gents shafts in his clubs yet.
I tend not to try and coach him when we play or practice as i want him to enjoy , so I restrict myself to some course management ideas for him , and we have putting and chipping competions ...above all enjoy it and make it enjoyable for them...its a wonderful time to be with them

I actually got back into golf last year after my son was into it. He was 3 and could make solid contact with the plastic sets that I bought him. He turned 4 this January and all he wants to do is play. He kinda doesnt like being told wgat to do at the moment but sometimes he listens. I bought him one of the $50 intra tech golf srts from walmart for his birthday and he's really coming along pretty well. Gonna wait until he's 5 or 6 before I even think about taking him to get lessons. He played teeball last here so he still has the bat grip lol. But he sometimes does theinterlock grip. But he is making good contact with the ball as I buy the 15 plastic practice ball packs for him from walmart. I have taken him to a par3 course where he did ok for his age. Just gotta get him working on his putter. Living where we live you gotta have your kids liking and ejoying things at a young age rather than running around getting into more and more mischief as they grow

I started my son at 2 years and 2 months old. Whenever he watches golf on tv he grabs my clubs and makes swings. Its very promicing to see. I started off just buying him a hybrid as its easier to hit and quite a bit of fun for him so far. He hits it around 8-10 yards and pretty straight. For Christmas next year I am planning on buying him a set for sure. When he reaches 5 years of age, still interested in playing I will invest in some lessons for him. Right now I just let him do his thing, only have taught him the grip. So far just enjoying the ride and having fun doing it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My clone (son) is getting his first set either this week or next, and he's 5. Pretty soon I intend to haul him out to the course a couple of times a week and let him play. He already goes to the range with me. Right now I'm trying to keep his swing as simple as "keep you hands lower than your shoulders on the backswing, then hit the ball as hard as you can." It worked pretty well.

Great replies..well,, I will see how this turns out. I will not force it on him, if he hates it..so be it..if he loves it ...even better. We would watch my nephew play little league, and he absolutely hated every second of it. You could see it on his face, and his reactions...his dad was so so upset. This won't be me, either he does..or he doesnt

great stuff guys

Mine is 2 1/2 and loves hitting golf balls. He likes the outside balls the most because of the writing on them. He swings lefty so I'm not correcting it. Some of his clubs are righty he still hits the backwards. Right now he has so much fun I don't try and correct.
nubyvujy.jpg

swing your swing

If your son doesn't want to play, don't make him. If he isn't taking to your instruction, go get him one when and if he wants to play.

Kids shouldn't be getting angry or frustrated. It means they are not receiving the info correctly.

They make kids clubs so there is no need for cut down clubs. In fact cut down clubs will do more harm than good.

Back