OITW

Reaction score
I'm currently looking at getting new wedges. I know Titliest, Ping and Hopkins offers customized grinds.

I was curious as to how important are grinds in wedges, if at all, when you're looking for a new set?

If so, what kind of grinds do you like and what are the reasons for choosing them?

I just went thru this in selecting a 58 wedge. Ended up with a C Grind from Callaway as I understand it allows me to open the face without adding bounce. I also understand it make toe down chipping easier but this will be my first time using a club with this grind.

?...

I was curious as to how important are grinds in wedges, if at all, when you're looking for a new set?

If so, what kind of grinds do you like and what are the reasons for choosing them?

I am a huge believer that "grind" makes a difference. Particularly if you like to use wedges in different ways e.g. wide open face, etc.
Easiest system for me to understand was the "Scratch" wedges system with their sweeper, digger, driver, slider stuff. Having said that just spent today with short game and sand bunker work with relatively new Scor wedges. With that dual sole grind it seems almost impossible to leave a ball in the bunker.

I used to think it was all a bunch of crap, to put it bluntly.

Found out with my Hopkins experience that I was being a little short-sighted there.

Love a heel grind for opening up the face.
Love a crescent grind for bunker shots and high spinny pitches. Cally U grind is sort of the same thing.

Personally I would go get a wedge fitting and hit as many as you can....especially outside. Depending on their use and your swing all wedges react differently as least for me. I have come to the conclusion that no matter the bounce I prefer a wedge with a thinner sole for my 54* which I use to pitch around the green from about 50 yards in. For my lob wedge I like more of a heel grind so I can open it up a little. I've always used a vokey 200 series wedge and was amazed at how different they all react when I started testing other wedges. I had to learn how to position the wedge and how to swing it to get the bounce and grind to work for me.

I had never thought of grinds on wedges before I came to this site either. After reading a lot of feedback and shopping around, I ended up putting in an order for the Hopkins wedge in 54* I can't wait to try it out especially with the open face just to see how it performs and the difference from a standard sole.

I use my wedges for full swing shots as well as those short open face etc shots. Does a "grind" on a wedge help, hurt or have no effect on a full shot.

I use my wedges for full swing shots as well as those short open face etc shots. Does a "grind" on a wedge help, hurt or have no effect on a full shot.

Honestly, it depends on the grind. More often than not there is no effect on full, square-faced shots

Honestly, it depends on the grind. More often than not there is no effect on full, square-faced shots

I am looking at the Vokey M grind.

Jlukes pretty much covered it, the grinds also help with turf and sand interaction depending on where you're playing and the conditions you're playing in. The grinds would have different bounce when played square vs open.

While everyone on the topic of wedges, whats the benefits of cavity vs blade wedges? Normally I play blade wedges. I uae to play tge Wilson harmonized sole grind wedges.

Curious as to this. Learning grinds and really like heal relief to open her up. The vokey M has my eye

I am looking at the Vokey M grind.

From what I'm seeing, the M grind just reduces bounce and allows a lower leading edge on open face shots. Might make it a little more prone to digging if that's already an issue?

While everyone on the topic of wedges, whats the benefits of cavity vs blade wedges? Normally I play blade wedges. I uae to play tge Wilson harmonized sole grind wedges.

Perimeter weighting in the cavity wedges should increase forgiveness.

This may not be conducive to the "grind" questions, but, I really enjoy the Taylormade ATV wedges. As ridiculous as TM is with marketing and gimmicky innovations, these wedges are great.

They really do a great job of handling multiple shot types.

This may not be conducive to the "grind" questions, but, I really enjoy the Taylormade ATV wedges. As ridiculous as TM is with marketing and gimmicky innovations, these wedges are great.

Exactly what I thought when I demoed the ATV wedges when they first came out. I bought 3 of them on the spot and haven't looked back. I guess I've always been to lazy to get fitted for custom grind wedges.

Exactly what I thought when I demoed the ATV wedges when they first came out. I bought 3 of them on the spot and haven't looked back. I guess I've always been to lazy to get fitted for custom grind wedges.
Yep, once I tried the ATV I was sold. Have 3 of them and see no reason to go back to a wedge with any kind of defined grind, custom or otherwise, as the ATV sole does it all. Most versatile wedge I've ever played.

Yeah I really like my RBZ AW and SW which have the ATV sole, I just bought a 60* MD2 U-grind for green side finesse shots....really curious how that will impact my scoring.

Yeah I really like my RBZ AW and SW which have the ATV sole, I just bought a 60* MD2 U-grind for green side finesse shots....really curious how that will impact my scoring.

Do you find the general shape of the ATV sole similar to the U grind? I thought there are some similarities between the profile of the wedges

Do you find the general shape of the ATV sole similar to the U grind? I thought there are some similarities between the profile of the wedges

I don't have the MD2 in hand yet, literally just bought it from Mikedean today. I'm sure they share similarities, I had the C-grind in hand at a local Dick's and it felt similar to my RBZ wedges, I'm confident the U-grind will blend in fine with my RBZ ATVs.

C-grind does make a difference (allows you to open the face without adding too much bounce). Im not a believer in custom grinds making much of a difference though or that people like Miura (supposedly), who hand-grinds all his wedges makes much of a difference.

C-grind does make a difference (allows you to open the face without adding too much bounce). Im not a believer in custom grinds making much of a difference though or that people like Miura (supposedly), who hand-grinds all his wedges makes much of a difference.

I never really had any concern over "grind" either, mainly bought the MD2 for it's ability to spin the ball plus the versatility which does correlate with the U grind.

I guess I used to think that grinds didn't matter as well, but I chalk that up to pure ignorance on my part.

It's hard to refute what is plain to see. Less heel material lets you open the face with a little lower leading edge. It just does. A channel/cresent type grind gives you less bounce on square face and more bounce open. Again, it just does. Whether that helps/hurts/has no effect one's game remains to be seen, but it's not just made up for the sake of sounding cool.

I guess I used to think that grinds didn't matter as well, but I chalk that up to pure ignorance on my part.

It's hard to refute what is plain to see. Less heel material lets you open the face with a little lower leading edge. It just does. A channel/cresent type grind gives you less bounce on square face and more bounce open. Again, it just does. Whether that helps/hurts/has no effect one's game remains to be seen, but it's not just made up for the sake of sounding cool.

For me, it was more that I had no concern over it. Honestly didn't even know what it was until pretty recently.

See I keep reading this. I am between the C and the M grind on either the SM5 of MD2. Plan on hitting both this weekend.

Back