Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

The Apex absolutely saved me all weekend. Friday and Saturday my swing was off, but these irons were forgiving enough to still give me a chance to score. On Sunday my swing was more in tune, and the Apex performed beautifully. I was hitting a nice draw at everything. It was fun to watch.

Also, you can definitely work these irons. On Saturday I hit a 20-30 yard hook with a 9i from the trees (and on the green). On Sunday I hit a knockdown hooked 4i as a layup on a par five (around a palmetto tree) that stayed less than 10' off the ground and hooked right on command.

Glad they're working out for ya Seth. It's days like Friday and Saturday that you really like your decision to go with forgiveness. It's fun to watch you play when things are clicking.

Glad they're working out for ya Seth. It's days like Friday and Saturday that you really like your decision to go with forgiveness. It's fun to watch you play when things are clicking.

Two things really stood out over the weekend with the Apex.

First, as bad as I was swinging Friday and Saturday, the iron shots were still in play and had good distance on them. I thought several times during Saturday's round that the same shot/miss-hit with my prior irons would have been 20 yards short and dead.

Second, after hitting a shot on Sunday my dad kept asking me if I hit it well. The ball flies so well on miss-hits that he was having trouble figuring it out.

My elitism is creeping back in as I think about a MC bag. I may give a look at a combo set. Ultimately, though, it's hard not to absolutely love the Apex.

The 4 is my go-to on punches around obstacles. I, too, hit a couple nice ones this weekend, one a fairly big slice out and around some junk back up the fairway. It seems like they will just run forever, too, much longer than you would think, but I usually get great distance on those curving punches.
Always fun to know you have that shot and not be scared of them. I also hit a few toe shots that turned out to be pretty OK. I think JeffJohn watched one of them. We were talking about how the only shot you can't get away with is the big ol' fat shot.

Yep. The Apex is savior on thin and toe shots for me too. The fat shots aren't any more penalizing than other irons for me at least.

I hit my 3 iron off the tee the majority of the time this weekend and it was a solid fairway finder for me. Long and forgiving.

Yep. The Apex is savior on thin and toe shots for me too. The fat shots aren't any more penalizing than other irons for me at least.

I hit my 3 iron off the tee the majority of the time this weekend and it was a solid fairway finder for me. Long and forgiving.

This shots with these are surprisingly not as penalizing as other irons. It's almost like the sweet spot starts at the sole. Fat shots are fat shots. I really did like my time with these irons. Just weren't the right fit for me. Glad to see so many others having success with them.

The 4 is my go-to on punches around obstacles. I, too, hit a couple nice ones this weekend, one a fairly big slice out and around some junk back up the fairway. It seems like they will just run forever, too, much longer than you would think, but I usually get great distance on those curving punches.
Always fun to know you have that shot and not be scared of them. I also hit a few toe shots that turned out to be pretty OK. I think JeffJohn watched one of them. We were talking about how the only shot you can't get away with is the big ol' fat shot.

All these comments about the 4 iron make me wish I had ordered it. I did get the x2hot hybrid though and it is awesome.
Still don't have my irons yet. GS checked on order and there was confusion on the Mack Daddy 2 wedges I ordered.
These were all on same custom order because of +1 inch on shafts.
Apparently no problem with inventory, just confusion on wedges which held up entire order. (????)
At least that is their story.

Will keep you updated.
I guess I should stop reading this thread. Just makes me more anxious.
(Of course I played with my MP 53's this weekend and stiffed irons all day. It is like they know they are coming out of bag!)

After my solid range session yesterday I'm very excited for this set of irons. Thin shots are my most common miss and I love reading the reports on how forgiving the apex is low on the face.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

After my solid range session yesterday I'm very excited for this set of irons. Thin shots are my most common miss and I love reading the reports on how forgiving the apex is low on the face.

Apex were made for bottom groove interaction. Fact.

I really love these irons.

Can somebody give me a better idea of which recoil shafts are which? The numbers are a bit confusing to me. Maybe a brief description of which shafts are for what type of swing? Sorry if this derails the conversation, but I am curious, specifically as it pertains to the Apex.

Can somebody give me a better idea of which recoil shafts are which? The numbers are a bit confusing to me. Maybe a brief description of which shafts are for what type of swing? Sorry if this derails the conversation, but I am curious, specifically as it pertains to the Apex.

I am no expert, but I believe the 660 comes in F2 (senior) and F3 (regular).
The 680, comes in F4 (stiff) and F5 (x-stiff).

The 660 weights are 68 and 71 grams respectively for the F2 and F3, torque 4.3 for both.
The 680 weights are 82 and 84 grams respectively for the F4 and F5, torque 3.8 for both.

These are specs from UST Mamiya site. Not sure if same spec in shaft Callaway is using.
Again, I am no expert, but that is what I thought from my research.

Looked at Fedex tracking and my new Apex finally being delivered tomorrow. Only 2 1/2 weeks for custom order (+1" shafts) but seems like months.
Can't wait to get them on the range right away and course this weekend.
Got the GS 30 day playability, so gotta put them through the paces.
If anything like the x2h 3 wood and hybrids, will be staying in my bag.
More to come....

I received my 4-AW Apex irons with PXI 6.0 +1/2" and 2up on Tuesday. They are beautiful looking clubs and feel sweet in the hand. Once I can catch a break from work I will be hitting them on the range.

Getting my 4-AW tomorrow after only 1 week directly through Callaway. Had them made -1/4 short, 1* upright with the regular XP95 shaft. I wanted to like the graphite but the steel just kicked better with my swing. These are my first new clubs since I bought the Hogan Apex, which I still play (until tomorrow anyways!).

This thread seems to have slowed a bit- are people still excited by these clubs?

Getting my 4-AW tomorrow after only 1 week directly through Callaway. Had them made -1/4 short, 1* upright with the regular XP95 shaft. I wanted to like the graphite but the steel just kicked better with my swing. These are my first new clubs since I bought the Hogan Apex, which I still play (until tomorrow anyways!).

This thread seems to have slowed a bit- are people still excited by these clubs?

Congrats on the new sticks coming. Just waiting for weather to turn to continue putting these through the paces.

Congrats on the new sticks coming. Just waiting for weather to turn to continue putting these through the paces.

Going to be a lot of Apex goodness in a little scramble in early April!

decided to do something i normally wouldn't do, but bought a barely used set of these (the 8i was still in original plastic) with the 680 F4's in them at the right length without having tried them. The price was just too amazing, and it wasn't much more than if i re-shafted my current irons with the 680's which is what i was going to do. Haven't hit them yet, but looking forward to it next weekend. Put the CP2 wraps on too...i am in love with these grips.

WP_20140328_17_04_47_Pro_zps4e40e37b.jpg

Mine definitely shined today. Through the wet and cold, mostly still frozen ground, the Apex stood strong. Still seeing about a foot of backspin on everything and the ability to work the ball a little both ways is nice. The KBS TourV are performing admirably for me as well, just a solid feel and the combo produces a great ball flight for days like today with wind swirling and gusting.

Mine definitely shined today. Through the wet and cold, mostly still frozen ground, the Apex stood strong. Still seeing about a foot of backspin on everything and the ability to work the ball a little both ways is nice. The KBS TourV are performing admirably for me as well, just a solid feel and the combo produces a great ball flight for days like today with wind swirling and gusting.

Agreed. I really enjoy the Apex/TourV combo. It's a really good one.

I'm actually surprised how well I can move the ball with them. When I first tried them, everything was a two-yard draw. Was I've gotten more used to them, I can really get some good movement.

Just ordered today a set of Apex with Recoils 680 F4 shafts, 6-pw. Can't wait for them to arrive. Once these come in and after a few range sessions and rounds on the course, I'll decide if I go the 5h route or the Apex Recoil 660 F3 5 iron route.

decided to do something i normally wouldn't do, but bought a barely used set of these (the 8i was still in original plastic) with the 680 F4's in them at the right length without having tried them. The price was just too amazing, and it wasn't much more than if i re-shafted my current irons with the 680's which is what i was going to do. Haven't hit them yet, but looking forward to it next weekend. Put the CP2 wraps on too...i am in love with these grips.]

I think you will really like them Martsy.
FedEx showed up yesterday with mine.
Got home in time to go to range and play a few holes.
Every bit as good as I had hoped and as good as they felt at GS hitting into net.

One problem I see though is having to learn distances.
These are definitely longer than my old gamers.
I had Mizuno forged and these feel every bit as good.
I think the combo of heads and the recoils work great together.
Playing in the morning, so will see how it goes.

Really starting to get the feel of these now and the distances are consistent. The feel of the face is sweet! The guy who did my driver fitting last night hd never tried the recoil shafts. Haha the look on his face when he cried a 6 iron 193 yards and he was holding back as regular shafts are to whippy for him. Lol

Apex starred yet again today. Loving how easy the long irons get into the air with these. Had more than a few long iron shots today and they performed for me. Still seeing great consistent spin and can increase it with a knockdown if need be.

Ordered these in 4-7 Apex and 8-PW Apex Pro with KBS Tour V Stiff shafts, I'll put pictures up as soon as they get here!

I played Stoneybrook GC on Sunday. I have completely lost my driver lately and my tee shot was luckily caught by the small trees on the right. The ball was probably 40% settled in the rough trees to my right and overhanging. My only shot was to keep it low 185 ish out and I knew I could not be long. I hit a 6 iron and tried to keep it low. I knew I hit it low on the face and solid but had no idea where it flew. The other folks I played with had no idea as well. We drove up to the green and we see 4 balls. Mine was just on the green on the back left corner. I had a long putt which I missed and then lipped the 4th to end up with bogie (all me). But I love these irons.

On 18 I hit 4 iron and then 7 iron to a back pin. Ball below my feet but I hit it well right at the pin into the wind. It was short of the pin a lot more than I thought from my vantage when I first hit it, but 2 solid hits to get to the green. Cross and into wind from the tee and then more of a head wind into the green, but I love these irons....

I started and ended with bogies on 1 and 18. Most of the rest of the round was a train wreck until I kept my driver out of my hands. But I really love these irons.

Every few days I dream about the Apex recoil combo. July?

Every few days I dream about the Apex recoil combo. July?

Stop dreaming start living, I love mine the recoil shafts just finish the combo off I think I can honestly say I won't change my irons for a loooooong time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back