Help with shaft purchase fiasco!

No skillz

Reaction score
Handicap
Didn't pay close enough attention to an ebay auction and ended up purchasing a 43.5" driver shaft with a .350" tip. Along with the shorter length, the shaft was also tipped (how much I do not know, but I can tell it was tipped because the cut was not square).

What do I do with the shaft now? I have the same driver shaft in a 45" and happy with it. I was going to replace my 4w shaft with this one, but the current shaft is .335". Is it still ok to replace? Do I add an extension to the butt of the club and use as a tipped driver shaft (which I don't really need)? Do I chalk this on up as another lesson in stupidity (I am collecting these but that should be another thread)? Re-sale the shaft on ebay?

All suggestions welcome - that are 'PG' rated!!

Not sure there is much you can do. Maybe just sell it on eBay again and hope its someone else's mistake?

Is it 43.5" installed or as is? A 43.5" shaft would play at 45" if the driver has a 1.5" bottom of bore to ground measurement, most have a 1" or 1.5" bbg measurement.

The shaft is 43 3/8". I am playing a X Hot driver so I will also be adding an adapter if I use this for the driver.

With adaptor installed it should play close to 45

It's going to play stiffer no matter what. I'd try to resell in ebay

I have not seen anyone vote for putting this in the 4W (which currently has a .335"). Would sanding this down another .015" and using in the wood be a bad idea?

I have not seen anyone vote for putting this in the 4W (which currently has a .335"). Would sanding this down another .015" and using in the wood be a bad idea?

Absolutely a bad idea

ALRIGHT! I have a new plan.

Install a .350" adapter. Add a butt extension and try this stiffer shaft at 45.5". If I don't like the extra length, I can cut down to 45" and see if I like this stiffer version better than the non-tipped version.

Better than the original ideas??

Install a .350" adapter. Add a butt extension and try this stiffer shaft at 45.5". If I don't like the extra length, I can cut down to 45" and see if I like this stiffer version better than the non-tipped version.

If you already have the same shaft in your driver, using the tip to graphics measurements you should be able to determine approximately how much it has been tipped. If it's only been tipped 0.5" more then you're unlikely to be able to tell any real difference to your existing shaft in terms of flex and playing characteristics...

I'd throw on the adapter and try the club at 45", to go through the trouble of adding an extension for 1/2" probably won't be worth it!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

If you already have the same shaft in your driver, using the tip to graphics measurements you should be able to determine approximately how much it has been tipped. If it's only been tipped 0.5" more then you're unlikely to be able to tell any real difference to your existing shaft in terms of flex and playing characteristics...

Even if it's tipped 1" I'd believe you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. I say give it a go at the very least... You may like the 1/2" shorter version that plays marginally stiffer. Then give it a name like, "Fairway Finder"!!!

I done the same thing, bought a shaft, it ended up being tipped. Nothing about it being tipped was in the ad, I let Ebay know that I didnt get what I was supposed to they got in touch with the seller and my money was refunded within 2 days.

Sounds like the ad stated it was tipped but the OP didn't read it well or just plain missed it. I would resell it on eBay.

I done the same thing, bought a shaft, it ended up being tipped. Nothing about it being tipped was in the ad, I let Ebay know that I didnt get what I was supposed to they got in touch with the seller and my money was refunded within 2 days.

I played in the wind (15 - 25 mph) yesterday and had several shots balloon and drift on me. It was hard keeping the shots down with my gamer shaft. I am going to check how much the shaft has been previously tipped, by checking graphics-to-tip length (thanks mab13). Then tip further (if needed) and put a shaft extension in the butt to my playing length.
Question: how much should I tip before I will see a noticeable difference in launch angle?

Back