Iron fitting questions

Miss0uriHacker

Reaction score
Handicap
Went to get fitted the other day on the mizuno machine, swing speed with 7 iron with the monitor attached was 78-80-78=79, tempo 4-4-4=4, can't remember the rest. But it put me right between R and SR. It gave me a few shaft options. But those didn't take into account my ball Flight preference.

I would prefer if my flight was higher, as I can always lower it myself with technique but it's tougher for me to raise the ball flight.

Being right between stiff-regular and regular, I would prefer to err on the stiffer side as my swing will probably only get faster as I'm 25. But there aren't SR shafts, at least that I'm aware of...

Should I look into hard stepping some regular shafts (taking some length off the tip of a regular shaft) or soft stepping (taking length off of the butt of a stiff shaft)? I was told by my fitter that I should get my next shafts 1/4" short (I'm 5'9") so this could be two birds with one stone. Especially since I'll be buying used and won't be ordering shafts from the factory. Three birds if you factor in New grips also.

I like the performance of the NS pro 105T Regular. But I like that the XP95 is lighter, though I haven't tried it. I have a graphite stiff shafted 7 iron that I really feel I can swing fast, but I don't want to go Graphite. Should I soft step a XP95 S300? I would like the flex to end up as stiff-regular, and yield a high launch. Lighter and somewhat less stiff than stiff could get me to SR, yeah? Or should I just go XP95 R300 just to be sure I get high launch? Remember, I was right on the line between regular and regular stiff on the mizuno machine, not including flight preference.

I should also mention that I'm always drawing or hooking the ball, and sometimes I even hit behind the ball. He noted that my hands are lower at impact than they are before takeaway. And that I'm hitting 1-2 degrees Upright because of it. And that I'm crowding the ball... Bare with me... Would shortening the shafts fix any of this? I choke up on almost every Club in my bag so that's not why my impact is upright. I would just hate to get 1 degree flat 1/4" short shafted clubs just to never covered up the swing problem.

Also, is a putter length of 34" pretty standard for someone my height? 34"is comfortable for me, 35" I'm choking too much. 33" haven't tried.

And for the ball, he told me any 3 piece would be good, recommending the Callaway SR-1 and the Taylormade project a ball. Balls are more a feel and confidence-inspiring thing more than anything else, but I just wanted to see if we had any opinions here.

I'm super glad I got fitted. Just wish I would have spent more time going over details. Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The KBS pro 90s or tours might be a great option for you. I wouldn't soft step or hard step your irons. I would go with a standard set. The Nippon are also solid shafts that launch high. Get what you like but I would err on the side of reg and develop a smooth delivery. And even if you do add some Swing speed, the reg. shafts will hold up.

KBS shafts come in an R+ so that would be between R and S. Give the KBS Tour, C Taper Lite, or Tour 90 a hit in R+ as those three cover med, med high! to high ball flight.

Your Mizzy numbers are very close to mine. The KBS Tour 90s in R flex or the Steelfiber i95s in R are a perfect fit for me. The Steelfibers gave me a higher launch and tighter dispersion than the Tour 90s so those are what I put in my new irons. The Nippon 950s were great to, but the didn't offer me the dispersion that I want.

The KBS pro 90s or tours might be a great option for you. I wouldn't soft step or hard step your irons. I would go with a standard set. The Nippon are also solid shafts that launch high. Get what you like but I would err on the side of reg and develop a smooth delivery. And even if you do add some Swing speed, the reg. shafts will hold up.

^This, panda is pretty much right on.

... and I know this shaft didn't come up, but the dynalite xp s300 sounds like it could be a shaft that you could game. It's a lighter shaft with higher launch. It was slightly less stiff that a standard DGs300, so it might be right up your alley

Also, is a putter length of 34" pretty standard for someone my height? 34"is comfortable for me, 35" I'm choking too much. 33" haven't tried.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

For the putter I am 5'11" and use a 33" but I was fit into that based on my shoulder arc and a comfortable stance for me. I recommend finding a SAM lab. I didn't but the guy at PGA SS that 'fit' me is a putting instructor over the summer so he was able to really help me.

http://media.titleist.com/images/titleist/pdfs/US/2014/2014_Custom_Options_Book_US/index.html#10/z

Go to page 10, steel fiber i95 doesn't show as high launch, nor does any of the KBS offerings.

So I'm looking at the Nippon PRO NS 950, TT XP95, and Project X 95. Going to look at the torque numbers, I could really use more spin and height with my irons. I've been using shafts that get around 1.7 for torque (according to the link above), and that seems low. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to use a stiff shaft if I end up getting a shaft that's ~100 grams, as I've been using ones 30 grams heavier (Dynamic Gold). I've never thought a shaft could improve your swing speed so much until lately.

I've seen the chart before. The Steelfibers launched higher than the Nippons for me, but the xp95 launched the highest of all the shafts I tried.

KBS Tour 9o in R flex. These are nice high launching shafts for me. No ballooning, but just high flight that comes down soft. You can always find them on the bay as well!

JM

http://media.titleist.com/images/titleist/pdfs/US/2014/2014_Custom_Options_Book_US/index.html#10/z

Go to page 10, steel fiber i95 doesn't show as high launch, nor does any of the KBS offerings.

So I'm looking at the Nippon PRO NS 950, TT XP95, and Project X 95. Going to look at the torque numbers, I could really use more spin and height with my irons. I've been using shafts that get around 1.7 for torque (according to the link above), and that seems low. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to use a stiff shaft if I end up getting a shaft that's ~100 grams, as I've been using ones 30 grams heavier (Dynamic Gold). I've never thought a shaft could improve your swing speed so much until lately.

That chart is good, if you're buying Titleist clubs and want a rough idea, it is not exact. Titleist develops the chart by using their club heads and a machine to look at numbers. So, though it's a decent chart, it's still extremely flawed.

I would so go find a real club fitter and not just the mizuno machine. The fitter should take into account what you want and let you hit way more shaft options.

The NSPro 950's should definitely be on your list to hit for smooth feel and high flight.

Based on the fact that a 65i regular flex graphite helps me get a higher clubhead speed and feel where the clubhead is more (I like this), and that I was fitted for regular-stiff, I chose stiff XP95 shafts. The higher speed ill get should offset the fact that they are rated as stiff. And coming from Dynamic Gold shafts, just about anything else should yield higher ball flights.

Back