Do these numbers semm possible?

mikefjohnson

Reaction score
Handicap
My apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I am 99% positive I have negative AOA with my driver, thus my whopping 4500 backspin number! That big said, I thought a negative AOA should lower the loft of the driver, so is it possible to have such high spin, a neg AOA, and a launch of 18 degs? My drives fly high and look good but fall out of the sky with no roll, so my high spin is confirmed and I would say so is my launch angle. But again, shouldn't I have a launch lower than my drivers launch (7.5) with a neg AOA?

thanks

I think a negative angle of attack means you're hitting down on it, which would cause backspin. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

My apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I am 99% positive I have negative AOA with my driver, thus my whopping 4500 backspin number! That big said, I thought a negative AOA should lower the loft of the driver, so is it possible to have such high spin, a neg AOA, and a launch of 18 degs? My drives fly high and look good but fall out of the sky with no roll, so my high spin is confirmed and I would say so is my launch angle. But again, shouldn't I have a launch lower than my drivers launch (7.5) with a neg AOA?

thanks

May be possible - you could have an extreme flip at impact (monitors measure angle of attack just before impact) which could account for the spin and launch - although that would be pretty extreme. You must be coming into it really steeply?

Sounds about right to me if you go to a lower lofted driver it will reduce effective loft at impact you might want to think about a swing change to get the AOA positive or at least neural

There are a couple other factors that attribute to launch angle

1) where you hit on the club face
2) shaft (dynamic loft)

Regards to #2, if your shaft head is kicking early then you are going to hit the ball with more loft then is stamped at the bottom of your driver

With regards to #1,impact higher on the face will lead to a higher launch.

That being said, 18 degrees of launch with a negative aoa and a lower lofted head does seem a bit unrealistic

There are a couple other factors that attribute to launch angle

1) where you hit on the club face
2) shaft (dynamic loft)

Regards to #2, if your shaft head is kicking early then you are going to hit the ball with more loft then is stamped at the bottom of your driver

With regards to #1,impact higher on the face will lead to a higher launch.

That being said, 18 degrees of launch with a negative aoa and a lower lofted head does seem a bit unrealistic

Exactly my thoughts. The monitor I was on did not list AOA, but I don't think I could have such high spin numbers without a negative AOA could I? I definitely know real world my spin is high, because I hit shots that look good but die once they reach their apex get literally zero release on some days.

Are you only saying it's a negative AoA because of ball flight and high spin numbers?

Are you only saying it's a negative AoA because of ball flight and high spin numbers?

yup, never confirmed via measurement. But again, what else would cause such high backspin numbers? Gotta be negative AOA, no?

yup, never confirmed via measurement. But again, what else would cause such high backspin numbers? Gotta be negative AOA, no?

I've been on a monitor once, and I'm a hack, so take it with a grain of salt. I had a positive AoA (up to 5*) and was getting LA as high as 21 with backspin as high as 4200rpm. I haven't been back on a monitor but swing changes have helped tremendously.

No, a negative AOA does not in and of itself cause high backspin numbers (but someone with a negative AOA can have swing issues that lead to high spin). Virtually every PGA Tour player has negative AOA numbers. I suspect you are steep with a flip and you are hitting high on the face.

No, a negative AOA does not in and of itself cause high backspin numbers (but someone with a negative AOA can have swing issues that lead to high spin). Virtually every PGA Tour player has negative AOA numbers. I suspect you are steep with a flip and you are hitting high on the face.

Can you expand on this a bit? What would be some of the main contributors of higher spin if not AoA?

Can you expand on this a bit? What would be some of the main contributors of higher spin if not AoA?

Without getting too deep into the technical verbage, a glancing blow (not square contact) can be a major contributor to spin as can hitting a ball high on the clubface (due to the higher loft there). An OTT swing hit off the toe generally will have very high spin. Sometimes when people consider a negative AOA they are thinking about striking the ball low on the clubface (which can definitely cause a lot of spin).

High on the face = less spin due to the gear effect

This thread just got too nerdy for me :p

Back