Callaway Apex Pro Irons Review Thread

My irons arrived today! Hit a bucket right away. Despite the rain blowing into the stall they felt REALLY sweet. Put a nice piercing baby draw on almost every ball, including with the 5 iron. Very easy to elevate. If I didn't love hitting 4 hybrid so much I would consider the 4 iron. Kind of fun to hit the rest of the set after hitting so many balls with the demo 6 iron. I have a pretty quick tempo so despite my slowish 80-84 mph 6 iron swing speed I always get fit into stiff shafts. Really helps my dispersion. Went heavier with these. Was playing 109g CFS stiffs in my i20s, went for the 120g KBS Tours in these (always one of the options with the Mizuno optimizer). Worked with the Callaway rep and decided to soft step them once to get a little more height since I am a low ball hitter. Really like the flight I saw today. Can't wait to get them on the course!
*Apologies for the blurry pics.

Last edited:
After 2 range sessions, I got these out on the course today for the first time. Soggy conditions, but I couldn't resist...
Shot an 81, playing right around my 9 cap. Hit them pretty well. Some really solid strikes and some scrubby ones (typical of my game). Ironically, my best strikes were with the 5 and 6 iron and not the short irons. Overall very impressed. I was wondering how the wide grooves would perform. I had some concern about them being too low spin, but found them to be perfect. The ball was stopping within a foot or two of its ball mark every time. Also enjoyed the turf interaction. Even on the wet fairways, divots were shallow and nicely shaped. Can`t wait to get these out on a drier day!

Last edited:
After installing kbs tour 130 in my apex pros, my ball striking feels much more natural. The recoils were fun but the kbs tours fit my swing better

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Dealt with rain and wind today, but continue to love my Apex Pro's. The ability to flight everything down to control distance into the wind is a game changer for me.

These irons continue to impress me. The look at address with these just fits my eye perfectly. I always look forward to pulling any club because I just know these things will perform. I have been struggling a bit with some shots going a little more left but thats completely user error. When I can strike these pure the ball just jumps off the face and sits down nice and soft each and every time. I am looking forward to getting some more time with these and being able to give a little more feedback.

For now though one word comes to mind: Beautiful.

Finally got to hit these outside with the c-tapers (off Mats). Love the feel. Back to my normal butter fade rather then losing everything to the left.

I can work these things high,low left and right with no problems.

Can't wait to get these on the course!

Round 2 with these beauties today. Soggy turf again today. Did not hit a clunky iron shot all day. Nothing but gentle draws. Was especially deadly with the Pitching Wedge and A wedge. Knocked one to 2 feet from 120 yards and a couple others to around 6 feet. Was spinning the ball back with the short irons and my 5 and 6 iron hit and stopped within a few feet of their marks. Absolutely loving the turf interaction. Can't wait to get them out on some dry firm fairways. My playing partners all commented on the glorious sound these irons make at impact. They were also smitten with the look of these irons. Lots of staring at my golf bag :)
I play off a 9 so that should give everyone an indication of their forgiveness. Even shots that are slightly thinned or hit towards the toe travel well.
I am fussy and take extreme care of my stuff, golf equipment included. Despite weaving a towel through the irons when transporting them and cleaning them after every shot, they definitely do scratch easily, and the satin finish rubs revealing the shinier metal beneath (similar to i20s, but worse), but it isn't bothering me much. You have to get up close to see this. These will be in my bag for a while :)

I bought the APEX and after hitting Greg's APEX pro 9 iron in Georgia I made a mistake and should have got the pros, much better feel though the ball and better turf interaction IMO. I finally got the right shafts in mine with the CT reg. hard stepped..but sure wish I had got the Pro model..

Got a chance to put these through there paces on Sat at a Demo Day felt very nice soft face nice weight to them easily workable and nice profile very solid set of irons

Well, all of the little black pieces are falling out of my irons now that it has warmed up. I contacted callaway customer service on Wednesday and have heard nothing back. Very unlike them though as I've always had great service in the past.

I guess I'm just not hitting the ball hard enough, mine are still in there, but I've only got 8-PW...

Edit to add: I still really really dig these irons. They go high, they go straight, they land soft. There are times I think I maybe should have gone with a whole Pro set instead of the combo.

Last edited:
I bought the APEX and after hitting Greg's APEX pro 9 iron in Georgia I made a mistake and should have got the pros, much better feel though the ball and better turf interaction IMO. I finally got the right shafts in mine with the CT reg. hard stepped..but sure wish I had got the Pro model..

Want to hit them again in May in Sarasota?

I guess I'm just not hitting the ball hard enough, mine are still in there, but I've only got 8-PW...

Edit to add: I still really really dig these irons. They go high, they go straight, they land soft. There are times I think I maybe should have gone with a whole Pro set instead of the combo.

I had to eventually call Callaway to get things taken care of after almost a week of no response to my emails.

I had to eventually call Callaway to get things taken care of after almost a week of no response to my emails.

Before this turns into an ugly thing, reach out to chad or Harry. Not sure CS is going to know what to do.

Before this turns into an ugly thing, reach out to chad or Harry. Not sure CS is going to know what to do.

CS took care of me on the phone. It isn't going to turn ugly for me. I am grateful Callaway gave us the set for testing and am just happy they have been awesome clubs. Even though I can't swing them..LOL

Right now just the 8 iron is had the piece fully fall out but he asked me to check every club and make sure the others are all "securely" in place. If any others are loose, they will replace them. Callaway CS has always been top notch in the past for me. It just surprised me that I had heard nothing in almost a week. In the past, it was less than 24 hours.

Greg,
Thanks I will most likely own a set by then.
I was really impressed with that 9 iron and it had the Tour V stiff that I had ordered for the APEX and got X Stiff instead. Your 9 iron was effortless to hit and the ball flight perfect. So I am convinced now that what I had was X stiff even though neither Callaway or KBS would confirm it.
That to me is the only problem with most club fittings you only hit a 6 or 7 iron, if I had hit a higher lofted club I would have bought the PROS without any doubt. I want to like the APEX but it just does not set up right for me, I just cannot get comfortable over the ball.

Thanks

Last edited:
My Apex 4-8 Apex Pro 8-PW are here!!! I'll try to get some more pics and a small review when I get to the range today.
avyry5eq.jpg
unemahyj.jpg
7yta4y7a.jpg
asy3y5u2.jpg

Tapping from my IPhone

So I struggled a bit with these today but towards the end I was starting to put some great swings on the ball.

I just love how these set up to the ball and how easy they really are to hit. Got a small case of the lefts today but still the distance is dead on and I continue to love the tour-v shafts.

Put these in play today. Best ball striking day in a while. It affirms for me kbs tour 130g shafts fit me best

Put these in play today. Best ball striking day in a while. It affirms for me kbs tour 130g shafts fit me best

It's been night day since I put in the S+.

It's been night day since I put in the S+.

I have a set at home that I am thinking of throwing in there. I wanna give the tour-vs a fair shake though.

5 rounds with the Apex Pros so far. Two rounds in the 70s, two 81s and an 85 (wet course playing very long, still struck it well that day). Striking these as well as I have ever hit any iron. In love :)

I have a set at home that I am thinking of throwing in there. I wanna give the tour-vs a fair shake though.

Shake'm like a Polaroid picture

Solid day of ball striking but my alignment with my irons was left all day. Love the turf interaction with these off of the fairway. I've been getting nice, crisp divots

Back