Need suggestions on older blade irons

Joshsmit56001

Reaction score
Handicap
I am looking at buying some blad irons and I want to keep the price under $100. I want to basically try blades before I spend a grand on a new set. Any suggestions would be great and links to the bay would be even greater! Thanks a bunch.

For under $100, you won't get near the results you would get from today's technology. Just my opinion

For under $100, you won't get near the results you would get from today's technology. Just my opinion

Not really looking for today's technology, just something that is closer to a blade. It should let me know if I can hit them or not.

You might not be able to hit blades from a decade ago but you could crush this years blades.

I picked up a set of MP 30's a few years back for $100 check the bay there should be some nice ones

Any suggestions?

Try to get your hands on the 712 MBs. Again just my opinion, but I absolutely loved them. 6i down were perfect for me. Just struggled with the longer irons so I switched to a cavity back. If that's too pricey, you could try any of the older Mizuno blades

Lots of options on the bay. Sometimes the good ones can be pretty pricey though because of collectors.

How far back are you looking to go? I have a set 1-PW of W/S X31's from 1967 with stiff aluminum shafts that are in very good shape (except the 1 which got bent a little by accident).
Heck, I'll just send them to you if you want to try them. They do need to be re-gripped though.

Look for Wilson/Wilson Staff on ebay.

Definitely Wilson Staffs. My dad has an old set and I'm going to have them rechromed for nostalgia's sake.

Wilson Staff, Hogan Apex/Apex II/Apex PC, Golden Ram Tour Grind...

Mizuno MP-32, highly regarded as one of the best blades ever made along with the Hogan Apex and can be easily had for less than 150

Lots of options on the bay. Sometimes the good ones can be pretty pricey though because of collectors.

How far back are you looking to go? I have a set 1-PW of W/S X31's from 1967 with stiff aluminum shafts that are in very good shape (except the 1 which got bent a little by accident).
Heck, I'll just send them to you if you want to try them. They do need to be re-gripped though.

ever hit these yourself? What are they like?

Last edited:
I dont know yoo much about blade irons for under $100 but I can say I have seen golfsmith spalding wilson staff and super old titleist blades go for the low on the internet

Lever hit these yourself? What are they like?

X31%20STG.jpg

I've had several sets of these over the years, I like them. I played a few rounds with them last year. I bought them off ebay a few years ago on a whim.

They have a little lower CG and thicker sole than a lot of the older muscleback irons.
Hogan had a similar iron called the radial.

I'm trading some TM MBs from '11 in the marketplace. They not brand new, but they offer much more forgiveness than the blades of yore

I'm trading some TM MBs from '11 in the marketplace. They not brand new, but they offer much more forgiveness than the blades of yore

Do you have a link?

I'd suggest hitting some demo clubs. Not worth it to spend $100 to test something that's old and won't resemble the technology of today's market.

I'd browse your local craigslist. I was just on mine here locally and saw a decent looking set of MP30's for $120.

It may be hard to find them for 100 or less but the Titleist 695 mb are good for an older blade. I do not consider myself great by any means, but I do not have any trouble with these and I think they are rather forgiving for a blade. If you look on ebay you can probably find a great deal on a set if you don't mind a little wear. Even for $200, I think they are a quality buy.

Back