Fit for stiff and playing regular

TTime

Reaction score
Hey guys so I'm wondering how many of you are "suppose" to be playing a certain flex, but play another? My driver ss is 110 +/-, and I'm using a stiff shaft. Not sure the ss with my irons but I've been fit for stiff flex, but my current GI irons have taylormade 85 reg flex shafts. Even compared to other reg flexes they are a lot lighter. Thought about switching the shafts but after playing a few rounds to start the season, I see nothing wrong with them other than being too light. My mishits are usually thin shots, and don't notice any ballooning on solid shots. If anything right now I want to hard step them, but will I even notice a difference?
Thanks

Welcome to THP TT.

Jman has some good thoughts on how amateurs may "overthink" when it comes to shaft stiffness. If you feel comfortable with them, why change what seems to be working? Have you got them on a monitor at all to get some numbers?

Welcome to THP

If your transition is smooth enough you should be able to play regular flex if your driver swing speed is truly 110mp Xflex would also work. There are many ways to fit for flex if the reg shafts work then play them. i have a similar Driver swing speed i play xflex because of a hard transition and it reduces my dispersion

I had played for years with a R shaft , but when I went and got fitted the pro said you need a S rated shaft for your irons , tried a couple and found one that suited my swing , the change in launch and distance was brilliant , a fitting is the way to go .....well in my limited humble opinion anyway....
My woods /hybrids are a different matter as my swing speed is on the cups of R/S so it really depends on the shaft in the club I am using . a good example is the shaft in last years Cobra Amp Cell ..the R was quite soft , this year in the Bio cell a different manufacturers shaft and the R seems much better....:confused2:

:welcome: not sure but I think hard stepping would only make them slightly more "stiff" and would have minimal effect on thin shots.

I had played for years with a R shaft , but when I went and got fitted the pro said you need a S rated shaft for your irons , tried a couple and found one that suited my swing , the change in launch and distance was brilliant , a fitting is the way to go .....well in my limited humble opinion anyway....
My woods /hybrids are a different matter as my swing speed is on the cups of R/S so it really depends on the shaft in the club I am using . a good example is the shaft in last years Cobra Amp Cell ..the R was quite soft , this year in the Bio cell a different manufacturers shaft and the R seems much better....:confused2:

Amen to the fitting. It just goes to show why it's so important. I would play what you feel most comfortable with. A lot of Tour players will go towards feel over absolute optimum numbers, there is a pretty cool THP video on that here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CokHQyxkAEY

Thanks guys. I have got them on the monitor but never saw my ss, maybe 86? Talked with the fitter a bit, and said I should be in a stiff, but should also see a pro and work on my swing more.

I will stick with the shafts for now and see how the next month or two go. I'm debating if its worth hard stepping or not, they just seem so damn light and flexible.

As a retired professional from the golf industry, I will of course say a real fitting is the preferred method.

Don't let someone measure your swing speed or ask how far you hit your 8i and put you in a specific shaft flex though....

I have a solid 105 mph driver swing and play an R flex shaft. I've played more than one round with A and even L flex shafts, and can play these as well.

It's all about your swing mechanics, not speed.

Hit clubs with different shafts and find what best fits your need for feel, accuracy and ball flight.

I agree with most of what been said. My SS avg is between 112-116 and I pretty much run S flex across the board. Just fits my swing. One thing I know is that you don't argue with results

I switched to a regular flex from a stiff in my driver and picked up about 15 yards of distance. I'm also hitting more fairways. My driver SS was 112 the last time I had it measured. In my experience, it is your tempo which is more important for determining what flex will work best. I accelerate the clubhead right before impact which loads a whippy shaft better.

I've been fitted for regular speed but have had the most consistency and success with a stiff shaft in my current driver. Kick points, tempo, and other idiosyncrasies of your swing beyond just your overall swing speed play into your shaft choice. Play what works, not what's on the label.

I feel that "regular" or "stiff" doesn't matter. It's the matching of the shafts that's important and having those at the right CPM: the flex should fit your swing and be as consistent throughout the set as possible.

I've seen "R" rated shafts that where "X" and vice versa.

This has all been good to read, and convinced me to not change what's not broken. I swung some stiff shafts today(mats only), and to be honest I didn't notice much of a difference besides being a little heavier. I also have a demo club with kbs tour s that I've played the last couple rounds to see what happens, still not much of a difference. For now I'm just moving to midsize grips and keeping everything the same. Down the road I will probably hard step them once to see how they feel.
Thanks everyone.

Wise choice what "flex it is shouldn't matter" results is what matters!

Your midsize grips will make the club head feel lighter so watch out for that. Otherwise play whatever you feel produces the best results. Maybe you go at it hard with driver but play a control shot with the irons.

Try some heavier shafts just so you know the results too. I found that I'm less handsy with some more weight and use my core correctly.

Back