Let's discuss new club and accessory oddities

I have seen major golf retailers no names mentioned, sell fairway woods, drivers and hybrids without the covers. If you would like the cover they charge you anywhere from 5-10$. Seeing we are ripped off already in Canada buying clubs I call that complete shananagins! Making extra profits for something offered free elsewhere! Part of the reason I buy online or in the USA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In some cases it may be affected by where they buy the clubs from. For example, I know my club has loaners and demo clubs, but when you sign one out they don't include the head cover. For that matter, they toss out the head cover when they get it. So toward the end of the season they sell off the demo clubs, only without the wrench or head cover. I don't know why they don't keep the head covers.

Either way, it's a pretty inexpensive way to get clubs, which might explain why someone could take a fly on a club, hit it a couple of times, and decide it's not for them. I've held and hit some clubs where it just didn't take much effort to determine that it and I were not meant for each other.

I'm telling you. There is a whole subculture on the internet of guys that buy stuff, hit it, and sell it. It's their thing and I don't think you're going to get a rational answer.

I think this is the best answer. No rational answer. I think the no tool thing is mainly from a company that buy's and sells used equipment and they don't get the tool or head cover from the customer or they sell is seperate, I think of "Second Swing" I can't say for sure but that is my opinion.

Buyers remorse?

I vote for this. and as for the missing accessories: may it be due to, in some cases, the clubs being of questionable authenticity?

It's a whole range of reasons, from pure addiction and profiting to trying to fix their game when the swing should be more in focus.

I have done this before since I am in the addiction camp; in fact I am doing it now in the marketplace with an Optiforce. I haven't even played a single round with it. I'm a gear guy; one reason why I love golf is the constant barrage of new equipment on a regular basis - seeing the innovation, no matter how useless the innovation is, is interesting to read about. If I find something for a great deal where I know I could sell it for little to no money out of pocket (or even at a gain if I'm lucky), then I might pounce on it and give it a shot. Nothing to lose. If it doesn't work out, or something more intriguing comes along, then time to sell - mainly because the purchase of the intriguing item needs to be funded with the sell. I had no reason to buy the Optiforce. I had an Amp Cell and it's fantastic. But, before I could even use the Optiforce, I was lucky enough to get a BB for a price that could not be ignored. Some of us like the club turnover, others play what they have for years.

As for no headcovers / tools, technically these are not packaged with the clubs in distribution. The store will get a box of drivers, a box of headcovers, a box of tools. They are actually separate products, different SKUs. Most (good) shops will include the headcover and tool when you buy the driver. That said, in many cases guys with good connections will get a bunch of sticks to sell but no accessories to include along with them. It's fairly common. As mentioned earlier, some are given away in tournaments and such and are usually acquired without the accessories that would typically be included at a retail store.

I love golf equipment so I buy lots of it, I then sell it when I want something else. I have an XCG6 that my friends have hit more than I have.

I don't love headcovers or wrenches, so I lose them, my wife throws them away or when I'm selling a club I never give the headcover or wrench to anyone who lowballs me.

I am very much a thrifty golf club buyer, and I have never in my life impulse bought a club, so it's very interesting to read this thread for me. Nothing wrong with the equipment loving mentality, but it's something that I'm not super into, so this really explains some things that I didn't fully understand previously.

It's a wonderful system that us golf folks have worked out: equipment lovers get to fulfill their passion without losing a ton of money, and us cheapos who refuse to pay retail (*raises hand* lol) get to have our deals!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure you guys are reading... after a couple range sessions???? How is that possible? Even those that like to swap clubs so often that has to be too quick.

I'm one of those people. I've sold a bunch of clubs that have never made it to the course for a full round. Sometimes a couple of range sessions is all you need to know it's not going to work.

One way to remedy this would be to go to the store and hit them prior to buying. There are some people out there whose time (or lack there of) is so valuable, that the opportunity cost of taking a small hit on a club is less than taking the time to go demo.

I'll be honest. With a 50+ hour a week job, wife with a 40+ hour a week job, two young children, living in a high traffic urban area, and traveling ~ 25% of the time, I might make it to the golf store once or twice a season. I can buy and sell and hit the range late at night once things have settled down.

The key for me is always buying used. I couldn't afford the depreciation hit that comes with new clubs. Buying used and shopping for deals, if something doesn't work out, the worst that happens is that I take a very small transaction hit. That's not such a big deal.

As for the head covers and tools, sometimes I don't sell my clubs with them. I typically do because they'll bring more money, but let's say that I know that I like a driver, but need a different shaft. The replacement I buy may or may not have the head covers or tool, so I'll just keep mine just in case.

There are people that just like to buy/sell golf clubs dude. It's their thing. As for the headcovers, no clue.

Those headcovers elope & mate with those socks that go missing in the laundry.

It's true, I read it on the interweb.

How is it possible to see new clubs for sale so often? There is always someone selling a single club or a set that they've only played once or twice. And what happens to so many head covers or tools as they are often not included in sell? Is this simply someone trying a club or clubs that they have gotten a great deal on and moving on quickly or something else? I don't go through clubs but I can't fathom how or why people wanna change after "2 range sessions" or how they lose head covers or tools so easily. Please help me understand...

As someone who has owned shops I can tell you that a LOT of "no headcover, no wrench" sales are from originally stolen clubs. Accessories, headcovers are stored away from the clubs. Thief gets club--nothing else.

My guess is, they think they may get more selling the club, headcover, and tool separate. Most clubs that sell get close to the same money with or without the other stuff. Then if they can get $15 for the cover and $5 for the tool, that's a extra $20 in there pocket.

I'm telling you. There is a whole subculture on the internet of guys that buy stuff, hit it, and sell it. It's their thing and I don't think you're going to get a rational answer.

I agree. I know a guy that has bought 5 new drivers this winter and we are weeks from any golf here. Time and money does strange things to some.

I thought of that too but how could you misplace the original? Do you instantly sell it? Throw it away?

I'm guessing that you're referring to the sales on "the bay" where clubs are often sold as practically new or only hit once or twice. I think part of the issue could be that people lie about how much a club is used to try and make it more attractive to potential buyers. They figure, if it cleans up well and there aren't many marks on it, they can embellish a bit. You won't run into that on the THP marketplace, though.

I've actually seen huge boxes just full of headcovers at more than a few shops.

Wow, if some folks out there are just tossing their OEM head covers out in the trash or in a box never to be used, I would appreciate it very much if someone has spare/orphan Titleist 910 H21* and 910 H24* head covers (that they no longer need) would send send them my way. The clubs I purchased were demo hybrids as I could not afford new ones at the time and I have been looking for the pair of these head covers for a while.

I know sometimes when you buy open box or used clubs off some website they don't come with headcover or tools. So maybe that is why people don't have them.

I'm guessing that you're referring to the sales on "the bay" where clubs are often sold as practically new or only hit once or twice. I think part of the issue could be that people lie about how much a club is used to try and make it more attractive to potential buyers. They figure, if it cleans up well and there aren't many marks on it, they can embellish a bit. You won't run into that on the THP marketplace, though.

That's what I was thinking too.

I buy stuff all the time and never even hit it. I then sell it and buy something else I may or may not hit. I like equipment it is my hobby and I get joy out of getting new clubs or at least new to me clubs. Putters especially I will roll about 6 balls on the carpet when I get a putter. If I dont like it it gets sold. If it is ok it goes to the practice green where I determine if it will get playing time or not.

Its probably not the best thing for my game but it is something I enjoy doing and I probably always will.

people do the same thing with cars, whats the difference?

Perhaps that's why some other people also sell clubs without headcovers.
I think they do it because they can try to sell the head cover separately and use it as a second income source from the same club. The tool will add a third stream.

Back