My swing - thoughts?

EaglevsFalcon

Reaction score
Handicap
3.4 GHIN
FK and others,

So its since its early season, I figured it would be a good time to film my current swing and get your thoughts on what I can tighten up to get myself going consistently. My misses have been a mixed bag of you-name-it but that could just be rust. My most common miss is a big push fade. I see a couple things that I think are off but I would like to see if others see those things too. Thanks for taking a look and offering up your thoughts

I promise you that I absolutely crushed the leaf I was swing it at :clapp:

[video=youtube;15C-QJHRRSA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15C-QJHRRSA&list=UUA49CDBPfcFF43BoF0tQOAA&feature=shar e[/video]

Sorry I have nothing to add to your swing, but jeeze what a site with those mountains in the backround. I am jealous of that view. I think the Panda can straiten you out though. He may want some better camera angles though with a full view of you.

Yeah not a bad thing to look at every day. Keeps ya grounded. I was trying to get a better view for my swing but the porch couch kept cutting off the bottom

the biggest issue I see is your sway. Maybe try to quiet your lower body and keep the swing compact with your mass behind the ball.

Freddie will surely have a lot better insight.

the biggest issue I see is your sway. Maybe try to quiet your lower body and keep the swing compact with your mass behind the ball.

Freddie will surely have a lot better insight.

Thanks. I know the sway may be causing some issues but it seems like when I try to correct it, it turns into a reverse pivot. I definitely fight that

I was going apologize for missing this but it looks like you just posted.

It's very difficult to critique ones swing with no real action. The air swing always is better than the real thing. But based on what I saw I would adjust a few things. Your stance is very wide. I would try to get the feet shoulder width a part or just outside the shoulders. Weight transfer is difficult with such a wide stance.

Allow the arms to hang free under your shoulders. Your arms are extended out away from your body which will give you two planes on your swings. I don't like talking plane but it's the easier at way to describe what will happen.

Make sure you work behind the ball at impact. Meaning keep you head behind the ball and allow you body to turn thru the shots.

Once you get some live tape I'll be able to make other adjustments

EvF,
You have a solid swing, you need some tweaking though, but you know this. We'd all agree that having a swing modeled similar to Tiger's swing would be pretty ideal, right? So when we look a Tiger's swing with a driver, and compare it to yours, what do we see? Let's start with hand position. Your arms and hands are dancing a lot, which isn't a bad thing (I do some of the same) but then there is the hitch. Your arm/hands look to be hanging naturally, but what's with the lift in the hands right before your take-a-way?

Here is a few screen grabs I took.

What I'm seeing is something that I see with a lot of good golfers. Your getting disconnected in your takeaway. Look at the second picture and we can see that your hands are moving and have turned over to the right and have laid off inside your line, getting close to level with the ground. When we look at Tiger at the same spot his hands and club are staying on the same (Red) line as at set up. Let me be clear, there is no exact position, but as long as you're following the same line from setup, to the top, or relatively close to that line...you're gonna get to the spots you want.
At the top of your swing, your doing to same thing, coming across your line. Granted this time it's because you're over swinging. Once your shoulders stop rotating, your hands should be stopping pretty quickly. What you want to look for and ask yourself, am I keeping my club down the same line as my target line, made with my feet. As we see in Tiger's swing.
On your way down, you get yourself back into a good position, but due to this movement in your swing, that re-route is probably what's causing your inconsistency and your push fade. That, and your getting back on your heals in your swing too. Look at your setup, do you see the tree branch that looks like it's going right up your nose? Using that as a frame of reference, we can see that as you start up, your body starts to come backwards, and it never gets back to the same spot. Which is also why we see your spine angle come up just a little bit, too. If we look at Tiger, we can see that his head not only moves just a tick towards the ball, but also down to the ball, and he keeps his spine angle really well.

So, what can you do?

I'd work on shortening you back swing to the point where, once your shoulders stop turning, that's where you set stop your hands. You're young, so your torque will be fine. You need to work on a one piece takeaway, using your shoulders to start your swing, not your hands. When you start getting your takeaway online with your shaft plane, trust me, it's going to feel like your club head is going vertical, but it's not. Try and keep your right elbow infront of your chest, and you'll feel the position you want.

Let me know if that helps.

Thank you, agent jay and fk. it seems like both of your comments are barking up he same tree. That's some really solid stuff there. A lot your point were some that I was looking at, and some that I wasn't aware of. The hitch was something that I started to combat a reverse break in my wrist that I dealt with a ways back. I guess it never left. I picked out my position at the top being wrong but wasnt really sure how to fix it. I'll be going to work on this stuff. Thank you again. I really appreciate

Last edited:
UPDATE

Was out playing today and working on incorporating all the points that were made by Jay and the Panda. Really feel like I'm making some headway and I struck the ball better that I have in a while. Took a video of my drive and my approach on #7 today. I realize that the angle is a little crappy and I wasn't able to trim it but bear with me please. Neither of these two videos were of particularly good swings. The first I pulled a bit and the second I hit thin. Still hit the the green though and darn near made the birdie.

I think I'm doing better with the hitch at the start of my swing and I've really focused on a one piece takeaway and and not over-swinging. I feel I've made improvements since the first batch of swings but what do you guys see?

Tee Shot (3w)

Approach (6i from 185)

Thanks!

I see you have been working, it shows. Your tempo is a bit quick but your positions are good. You are still sticking the ball with your right side. I'd like to see you strike the ball with left side and let your right follow through.

This will require you to keep you back to the target a fraction longer while the arms drop into place near the right hip. Nice this happens you can release the shoulders and keep the chest moving through the zone.

The other thing you should place close attention to is your alignment. The 3 wood traveled along the same lines as your setup, left. Make sure you feet, knees, hips and shoulders are parallel to your target line.

You are close, very close.

I see you have been working, it shows. Your tempo is a bit quick but your positions are good. You are still sticking the ball with your right side. I'd like to see you strike the ball with left side and let your right follow through.

This will require you to keep you back to the target a fraction longer while the arms drop into place near the right hip. Nice this happens you can release the shoulders and keep the chest moving through the zone.

The other thing you should place close attention to is your alignment. The 3 wood traveled along the same lines as your setup, left. Make sure you feet, knees, hips and shoulders are parallel to your target line.

You are close, very close.

Thanks, Freddie! That 3 wood wasnt one of my better swings of the day, just the one I filmed. I was definitely a little quick and I think that led directly to your first comment about sticking the ball with my right side. This shot was a straight pull, although not that bad. I was aiming down the right side and I hit it down the left. I think if you saw the swings from the other 5 drives that I stung, you'd see just what you are talking about in your second passage. Some of that quickness was from being filmed, I think. I definitely tensed up a bit. Especially since I asked a complete stranger to film it lol. I'll keep in mind about the alignment issue. I've always set up a tiny bit open because I felt I could follow down the target line easier (open stance when I played baseball too). Im sure its not the right thing to do, but it has always worked for me. I mess with my alignment and see how that goes.

Thanks again, man. I feel close, closer than I have in a long, long time. Im ready to do some damage. I really appreciate the help. Truly priceless, my man. Truly priceless. :clapp:

I also never realized how much of an Arnie follow I have have. Absolutely hilarious :D

The 3wood wasn't a pull, it went dead straight. You were aimed left and that's why I mentioned your alignment. It wasn't a bad swing at all, you just lined up wrong.

The 3wood wasn't a pull, it went dead straight. You were aimed left and that's why I mentioned your alignment. It wasn't a bad swing at all, you just lined up wrong

it wasn't a bad swing, but it wasn't one of my better ones either. Something happened slightly with my left arm through impact. Felt like it flew out a lil bit, chicken wing style. Felt like it stopped me from following through well. I'll get another vid soon of what I think is a good swing for comparison sake. Still new to this whole "help" concept lol. It would be best to pick out the flaws in a good swing rather than one I didn't like, right?

Back