TaylorMade R1 v2 Driver

at what point does this stuff (releasing clubs so often) become gimmicky?

Never? Golf club companies are just catching up to just about every other consumer good out there (clothes, electronics, etc).

What is more gimmicky: Releasing a lot of new products on no set schedule, or releasing an updated version of a product every year or two?

Does anyone know what the loft of the V2 heads are? I am hearing from another source that the V2 heads are 9.0* not the 10.0* that the stock R1 is. I am really thinking of pulling the trigger on this head. I play a 80 gram shaft right now in my stock R1 which causes the swing weight to be way to high for my liking. The benefit to me of the V2 head is the lighter weight.

From what i have heard the are all TD2....... which is the 10.0 head

Very good marketing. NOw they can release a black v2 in a month or so after people get the white one. As some has stated its nice that they recognize the need for a smaller head, but double the price of an r1 seems a little ridiculous i think

Where did you get yours from, TM directly? If you have a TD3, like you say in another post below, from what I have read you actually have an R1 V3 head that is 420 CC's.

I have a V2 and while it is probably a great club for the right player, I don't think it's for the masses. It is a very low spinning head and despite having a 10.5 loft (there you go Saskey) I have trouble getting a high enough launch on it. My swing speed was 94 mph during the fitting.

As for the sound, I have not hit a regular R1 so I can't compare it, but it does have a very nice solid kind of "crack" sound that I find acceptable.

it is definitely weighted differently than the retail version and as mentioned a 440 head. I don't intend on selling it depsite several offers to buy it. I'll just keep it as very nice backup and maybe take it for a spin from time to time during a casual round.

I have a V2 and while it is probably a great club for the right player, I don't think it's for the masses. It is a very low spinning head and despite having a 10.5 loft (there you go Saskey) I have trouble getting a high enough launch on it. My swing speed was 94 mph during the fitting.

As for the sound, I have not hit a regular R1 so I can't compare it, but it does have a very nice solid kind of "crack" sound that I find acceptable.

it is definitely weighted differently than the retail version and as mentioned a 440 head. I don't intend on selling it depsite several offers to buy it. I'll just keep it as very nice backup and maybe take it for a spin from time to time during a casual round.

Sounds like my type of driver! Gonna try and test one just to see what a $600 driver can do.

It's not that bad actually. For the demographic that this driver seem to be targeting. I spent almost that on my driver/shaft setup.
This, the custom shaft offering in this head without an additional up charge could put it right in line. The rip beta is on there no upcharge and on the TP head it was an additional $150 at least.

Where did you get yours from, TM directly? If you have a TD3, like you say in another post below, from what I have read you actually have an R1 V3 head that is 420 CC's.
I got it directly at TMAG fit by their fitters. So unless I was mistaken from what he told me I believe it is 440 head.

Sounds like my type of driver! Gonna try and test one just to see what a $600 driver can do.
Trust me I wouldn't have paid $600 for ANY driver, not just this one. My game isn't good enough to warrant that. I was fortunate to win it and the fitting through a contest.

Back