Malaysia Airlines plane goes missing

If ping is true...that would be the end of hope IMO....

Sadly, I thought day had long since passed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well.. The families need closure .. I heard on cnn that the china boat went out on there own facts and data .. Where they thought it might be . I'm glad they took initaive to find the box on their own . Too many closed door meetings.. Too many " I don't know" " May never be found " .. Thank you china for making up your own judgments

Sadly, I thought day had long since passed

Yeah it is a harsh reminder you just never know when it could end...poor families were put through the ringer on this one.

Sitting here, I thought them not finding the ping or wreckage could give the families some sort of hope and thought that they were alive somewhere. Closure is good for some things but this I'm iffy about.

Well.. The families need closure .. I heard on cnn that the china boat went out on there own facts and data .. Where they thought it might be . I'm glad they took initaive to find the box on their own . Too many closed door meetings.. Too many " I don't know" " May never be found " .. Thank you china for making up your own judgments

So China just went out there searching by themselves without the grid pattern and plan that all the other nations were doing....hmmm....and then found it by themselves...."their own facts and data", more of a hmmmmm

So China just went out there searching by themselves without the grid pattern and plan that all the other nations were doing....hmmm....and then found it by themselves...."their own facts and data", more of a hmmmmm
Well... More info than we received from anyone else .. This how tragedy is just perplexing / mishandled / and mystery beyond a mystery of how a plane of this size with this many people just vanishes. .. The whole system needs reworked after this

Malaysia Airlines plane goes missing

Mystery - I know you've got a connection to some passengers so apologies if that post came off as too harsh. It is a horrible tragedy and natural for family and friends to cling to hope. Not being in that situation my perspective is different. I hope you find the closure you seek.

Well... More info than we received from anyone else .. This how tragedy is just perplexing / mishandled / and mystery beyond a mystery of how a plane of this size with this many people just vanishes. .. The whole system needs reworked after this

I'm interested in some of your ideas to rework the system. Would you mind sharing?

AMEN....when stuff like this happens and all the mis information gets released it becomes hard to trust any of it....I am also confused as to how this very large plane can disappear, I mean disappear???? Yet we can get a missle to go through a window from 3000 miles away.

I'm interested in some of your ideas to rework the system. Would you mind sharing?

On Star can track my vehicle anywhere it goes and use functions in my car, yet a large plane with more technology on it than most is just lost...maybe black boxes with flotation devices, something...

On Star can track my vehicle anywhere it goes and use functions in my car, yet a large plane with more technology on it than most is just lost...maybe black boxes with flotation devices, something...
We can track all old non working satellite junk and space debris floating around the earth .. But we can't track a plane with 237 missing people . Unreal , unreal .. Unreal .. They Chinese looked where the pings stopped .. How could they stop ? And why did the satellite systems stop picking them up all the way to where the plane crashed or landed ? Why give the pilots or anyone the ability to shut off a transponder ? Unreal in today's day and age

Turning off the transponders of a plane should be impossible / prohibited .. End of story ..

We can track all old non working satellite junk and space debris floating around the earth .. But we can't track a plane with 237 missing people . Unreal , unreal .. Unreal .. They Chinese looked where the pings stopped .. How could they stop ? And why did the satellite systems stop picking them up all the way to where the plane crashed or landed ? Why give the pilots or anyone the ability to shut off a transponder ? Unreal in today's day and age

If the reprogramming of flight paths is still fact....why does this not throw up a RED FLAG...

What if plane did land on that strip of land where it changed course and then loaded up transponders on another plane to drop in ocean...so many what ifs

Dont see article there, I may be blind at the moment.....REcap for me please

Why Do Airplane Transponders Have an 'Off Switch?'
By JOAN LOWY and SCOTT MAYEROWITZMar 18, 2014, 3:33 AM
Ever since Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 disappeared, a fascinated public has asked: Why can somebody in the cockpit shut off the transponder?

It turns out there are several legitimate reasons why a pilot might want to shut off this key form of communication that allows air traffic controllers to identify and track airplanes.

Authorities believe that Flight 370's transponder was intentionally shut off, delaying search and rescue efforts and helping to conceal the plane's location — a mystery unsolved more than 10 days after the Boeing 777 vanished.

It's rare for a pilot to turn off a transponder during flight, but occasionally there is cause.

— Sometimes a transponder malfunctions, giving out incorrect readings.

— The device could have an electrical short or catch on fire. Pilots would want to shut it down rather than risk a fire spreading to the rest of the cockpit or airplane.

— Pilots used to routinely turn off transponders on the ground at airports so as not to overwhelm air traffic controllers with so many signals in one location. That is increasingly less the case as pilots now use "moving map" displays that take the transponder data and show them the location of other planes on the ground, helping guide them around airports without mishaps.

"As long as there are pilots, they'll be able to switch off systems," said Andrew Thomas, editor-in-chief of the Journal of Transportation Security.

Airplanes have two transponders. There are two knobs in the cockpit — one on the right, the other on the left — that control one or the other. When one transponder is on, the other is normally in standby mode.

To turn off a transponder, a pilot turns a knob with multiple positions and selects the "off" setting. The second transponder doesn't automatically activate if the first one is shut down — a knob would also have to be turned. In this case, it appears one transponder was turned off, and the second not activated.

Ross Aimer, a retired United Airlines pilot and former 777 instructor, said it is possible that one pilot could reach up and turn off the transponder without the other pilot seeing it, say if one was looking away or distracted.

If the plane was in contact with an air traffic controller, the controller would alert the pilots that the transponder signal had been lost. But, Aimer — now head of Aero Consulting Experts — said, if they were not in contact with an air traffic controller, a pilot might miss it if the other shut down the transponder.

In the case of the missing Malaysian plane, even pilots are a bit puzzled by somebody turning off the transponder.

John Gadzinski, a Boeing 737 captain, said that among fellow pilots "there is a raised eyebrow like Spock on 'Star Trek' — you just sit there and go, 'why would anybody do that?'"

——

Mayerowitz reported from San Diego. With reports from Holbrook Mohr in Jackson, Miss., and Nick Perry in Wellington, New Zealand.

I hate to make this oversimplified but you are all blowing this ridiculously out of proportion. Thousands of airplanes take off everyday and haul millions of people. The numbers are ridiculously low for airline accidents/ hull losses compared to the number of miles traveled /passengers flown. Now I'm not diminishing the loss of these people but this is one isolated incident that doesn't require all sorts of changes and hundreds of millions//billions of dollars to change a system that fundamentally works fine. Go look at the stats regarding car accidents and focus time and energy on higher percentage problems we have.

I hate to make this oversimplified but you are all blowing this ridiculously out of proportion. Thousands of airplanes take off everyday and haul millions of people. The numbers are ridiculously low for airline accidents/ hull losses compared to the number of miles traveled /passengers flown. Now I'm not diminishing the loss of these people but this is one isolated incident that doesn't require all sorts of changes and hundreds of millions//billions of dollars to change a system that fundamentally works fine. Go look at the stats regarding car accidents and focus time and energy on higher percentage problems we have.

Think certain events that have taken place here just make you a little more concerned when a plane seems to go missing.

If the ping's had been identified by a country other than China, I'd have a glimmer of hope. As it were ...

True colours, hmmm.....

I haven't had an internet stalker in quite some time. Thanks for playing!

Just reading the thread and your racist comment came up. If I was going to internet stalk someone it would be a person far more intelligent than you, ie just about anyone.

Come on guys, the personal attacks aren't necessary.

Just reading the thread and your racist comment came up. If I was going to internet stalk someone it would be a person far more intelligent than you, ie just about anyone.

This will be the last time we offer the warning about personal attacks. Next time it comes up you will be required to step away from the forum for a few days. While we never think this should have to be handled like kindergarten and send someone to time out, its evident that it just may be necessary.

I don't care who finds it or how...just hope they do and give these families some closure. It does amaze me that they have not found it yet....but the oceans of the world are huge. The currents are fast and waters are deep. I appreciate all the work all the folks coming together to search for it have done. I'm sure it's not easy and that they want to provide closure as well. Here's hoping that they find it soon.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Back