Switching from regular to stiff flex irons due to shaft weight?

bballfan8632

Reaction score
Handicap
So I recently switched from Callaway X-22 irons(~110g uniflex shafts) to TM RBZ irons. I haven't received the new irons in the mail yet but hitting the in the store, the fitter said I should get a stiff flex. Most everything I read online says for my distances and swing speed(150yd 7 iron and ~95 MPH driver speed) I should be a regular. The RBZ's have only 85g shafts and the fitter said this would also influence why I would need stiff flex shafts now. Does that make sense to everyone? Or based on my stats should I have already been a stiff shaft player?

With the lighter shaft you will generate more swing speed

Stiff is sort of a catch-all and doesn't really mean a lot. Those stiff 85g TM shafts are lighter, flighted, and softer than something like a KBS Tour in stiff.

Ask your fitter if he has the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer. It's basically a club that collects data as you hit shots. Then using a formula offers suggestions for shafts (flex and weight) based off your swing. The recommendations are for the shafts offered by Mizuno but you can easily find similar offerings from the other OEMs. The shaft optimizer provides a objective recommendation.

I wouldn't alter flex jut to change weight without hitting them and having objective proof. You can get heavier or lighter shafts in any flex to suit your needs.

Stiff is sort of a catch-all and doesn't really mean a lot. Those stiff 85g TM shafts are lighter, flighted, and softer than something like a KBS Tour in stiff.

This ^, plus the fact that swing speed is only one of the things needed to determine the right shafts. Tempo and how you load the shaft are actually more important than speed alone.

Another factor is the head design. Most of the newer clubs have more weight lower for higher ball flight and your fitter probably factored your flight in when making his/her recommendation or should have. If you trusted the fitter enough to purchase what was recommended, 2nd guessing that before even hitting the clubs is not a good idea, IMO. You have to have confidence in your clubs.

Yep youre right, he did comment on the launch angle as well when saying stiff. All my other clubs are regular flex so it just worried me. I dont even have them yet so I'll just have to give them a whirl and see what happens.

P.S. Go Tribe!~

Yep youre right, he did comment on the launch angle as well when saying stiff. All my other clubs are regular flex so it just worried me. I dont even have them yet so I'll just have to give them a whirl and see what happens.

P.S. Go Tribe!~

As an example -

With the stock TM shafts I play stiff. Same with Tour 90's and a couple other shafts in the 100-ish gram range. With KBS Tours, I am better with the R flex at 110g over the stiff, both for feel and launch metrics.

Back