Callaway X2 Hot Driver Preview

I played the Amp Cell last summer and found the transition pretty easy to make. I think you'll really enjoy it.

For those of you that have hit the X2Hot, did you have trouble feeling or even noticing a difference between R flex and S flex in the Tour Blue? My dispersion, distance, feel, spin etc were all pretty much the same for both. I went with Reg since I had it trimmed an inch...but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

For those of you that have hit the X2Hot, did you have trouble feeling or even noticing a difference between R flex and S flex in the Tour Blue? My dispersion, distance, feel, spin etc were all pretty much the same for both. I went with Reg since I had it trimmed an inch...but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

Sorry, didn't hit the regular.

Finally got mine out for the first round with this driver. Only had two bad drives with it. One that was snap hooked to the left into the woods and a worm burner that actually ended up pretty decent. Struggled a little with consistency on where I was hitting the ball on the face. Some distance penalties for sure but not necessarily as severe as you'd expect. Toe misses I saw a little more hight, with a little bit of draw. Heel misses, which is a new one for me, were a little lower with a fade but again, all playable. Caught a couple pretty solid that went a good ways. Hole 9 is a long par four that I have to play as a par 5 if I get to snappy off the tee. Hit a nice penetrating draw that allowed me to play a 5I into the green. Usually I'm hitting a 5W or 4H at best into the green on that hole, so hopefully that's a preview of things to come. :D

Swing was a bit rusty, so I expect better results moving forward, but was impressed with the forgiveness this weekend. Still on the lookout for a tour green as I think that's the better shaft for me, but the blue isn't a slouch at all.

I don't have much time to do research on my question, so I apologize if it has already been asked/answered but, what kind of thoughts/results are going around putting the green tour shaft in the standard x2 hot head? I like the thought it's a shorter and lower spinning shaft. Thanks again.

I don't have much time to do research on my question, so I apologize if it has already been asked/answered but, what kind of thoughts/results are going around putting the green tour shaft in the standard x2 hot head? I like the thought it's a shorter and lower spinning shaft. Thanks again.

Haven't hit it outside yet, but I was really crushing this combo on the sim. Was seeing ~5 yards more carry than with the Blue. Didn't notice any swingweight issues or anything like that. I'd hit them head to head if you can. Golfsmith didn't mind letting me.

Borrowed this one from the shop for my round today. The X2 Hot is a great driver. Long, pretty forgiving. Love the look of the grey crown at address. Played it at 10.5° with the stock stiff shaft, and my solid hits were just drilled out there with a little fade. Very nice, reliable flight.

Having now hit the Big Bertha and the X2 Hot (though I freely admit my swing is much better today than it was when I last hit the Bertha), I'm pretty inclined toward running the X2 Hot driver. Might just be the shaft on the Bertha didn't agree with me.

Got out to the range last night and spent a little time with the driver, though my main focus was working on my iron striking. Not gonna lie, it was a little bit of a rough start. Seems I've developed a heel miss with this club that's resulting in more of a fade/slice movement than I'm comfortable with. Just as I started to think about my old driver, I choked up a touch and started hitting some nice shots towards the back of the range where driver balls belong. Think I'm gonna rip the grip and trim a 1/2 inch off the shaft to get the overall length down to 45.5". I'm tempted to go further, but for the price of a grip, I can afford to take it one step at a time.

Picked my x2 hot today, 10.5 reg stock shaft, but set to +2 and draw. Was very windy and should have gone down to +1. But this thing was flying, even with average range balls. Feels very forgiving on all sorts of hits. It was a bit hard to get the fixed rubber tees at the correct height but looks very promising and can't wait to get it out on the course in a week or so...
Steve..

Got out to the range last night and spent a little time with the driver, though my main focus was working on my iron striking. Not gonna lie, it was a little bit of a rough start. Seems I've developed a heel miss with this club that's resulting in more of a fade/slice movement than I'm comfortable with. Just as I started to think about my old driver, I choked up a touch and started hitting some nice shots towards the back of the range where driver balls belong. Think I'm gonna rip the grip and trim a 1/2 inch off the shaft to get the overall length down to 45.5". I'm tempted to go further, but for the price of a grip, I can afford to take it one step at a time.
Be interested to hear what you decide to do on this. I don't mind the shaft being longer yet. But will see. Will you do it yourself? Thanks

Callaway X2 Hot Driver Preview

Be interested to hear what you decide to do on this. I don't mind the shaft being longer yet. But will see. Will you do it yourself? Thanks

After my round yesterday I'm definitely cutting it down. I was choking up a half inch and I felt like my control was way better. Didn't notice any distance loss. I'll do it myself. Butt trimming is pretty easy.

I was flat out surprised on the distance I got off some toe misses yesterday. Obviously some loss but nothing so bad to affect my score.

After my round yesterday I'm definitely cutting it down. I was choking up a half inch and I felt like my control was way better. Didn't notice any distance loss. I'll do it myself. Butt trimming is pretty easy.

I was flat out surprised on the distance I got off some toe misses yesterday. Obviously some loss but nothing so bad to affect my score.

I think I may try choking down but don't think I would trust myself trimming. I wonder if someone has done a YouTubeYouTube

I think I may try choking down but don't think I would trust myself trimming. I wonder if someone has done a YouTubeYouTube

It's really easy. Though if you have doubts you could always do it at a fitter or store. I just strip the grip & tape, then wrap the approximate cutting point in a few tight wraps of masking tape. After that, measure and start cutting. I use a PVC hacksaw, just make sure the blade is sharp (they're cheap). When I'm almost all the way through, I flip it and cut from the other direction. I've found that this minimizes any risk of the graphite peeling or splintering off. I'm sure there's a video of it somewhere. Quick writeup from Golfsmith:

http://golftips.golfsmith.com/graphite-iron-shaft-trimming-instructions-20500.html

It's really easy. Though if you have doubts you could always do it at a fitter or store. I just strip the grip & tape, then wrap the approximate cutting point in a few tight wraps of masking tape. After that, measure and start cutting. I use a PVC hacksaw, just make sure the blade is sharp (they're cheap). When I'm almost all the way through, I flip it and cut from the other direction. I've found that this minimizes any risk of the graphite peeling or splintering off. I'm sure there's a video of it somewhere. Quick writeup from Golfsmith:

http://golftips.golfsmith.com/graphite-iron-shaft-trimming-instructions-20500.html

Thanks very much. I need to start by seeing how confident I feel in a round with it at full length. Then I'll compare with it choking down.
really like the club so much

i got to finally hit my new x2hot 10.5 driver i got for my birthday. i really like this driver compared to my prior amp driver. why. im not sure, it just felt "easier" to swing

i got to finally hit my new x2hot 10.5 driver i got for my birthday. i really like this driver compared to my prior amp driver. why. im not sure, it just felt "easier" to swing

Yes I feel the same. I'm not sure if it's the weight or balance or something else that just inspires confidence. I felt the same with the BB, the covert 2 and the G25, but this had better numbers for me.
I guess if it works, it works.. Hope you enjoy

Easy to swing is a good way to describe this driver. As long as I don't go nuts and try to overpower it, I get great results out of this one. Haven't even taken if off the 10.5 setting yet. Need to get some range time to get it dialed in.

I hit this in Florida again. It's so weird to me that I can really love the X-Hot, but continue not to love this driver. Especially since I (sort of) play the same shaft in my driver. Not that there's anything patently wrong with it. I just hit it poorly for some reason.

I hit this in Florida again. It's so weird to me that I can really love the X-Hot, but continue not to love this driver. Especially since I (sort of) play the same shaft in my driver. Not that there's anything patently wrong with it. I just hit it poorly for some reason.

God bless options. I hit the X2Hot better than I did the Bertha last time I gave them a go. Will probably try the Bertha again this weekend, though. A club with that much potential deserves a second look. Plus, have been driving the ball much better the past couple of weeks.

Bertha has been pretty decent for me. I played that one as well for nine holes.

Funny how that works. I was the same way with the original Cleveland Classic and the later iterations. They just didn't work for me. Was also really shocked in the results I saw with the X2 FWs. May do a random buy on one if I find a deal and don't get a chance to hit one outdoors though. Can't always trust the sims and I want my FWs to be as easy to hit as this driver has been so far.

I've been pondering shafts, specifically the B Asha, but after this weekend I'm hesitant to mess with it. Unless I completely miss the face or just make a terrible move, I'm in play. I've lost more balls off the tee with my FWs in the last two rounds than with my driver. :D

Agree big time on the options comment by the way. I think that's one of the biggest strenghts in the 2014 line.

Funny how that works. I was the same way with the original Cleveland Classic and the later iterations. They just didn't work for me. Was also really shocked in the results I saw with the X2 FWs. May do a random buy on one if I find a deal and don't get a chance to hit one outdoors though. Can't always trust the sims and I want my FWs to be as easy to hit as this driver has been so far.

I've been pondering shafts, specifically the B Asha, but after this weekend I'm hesitant to mess with it. Unless I completely miss the face or just make a terrible move, I'm in play. I've lost more balls off the tee with my FWs in the last two rounds than with my driver.

Never mess with success!

Never mess with success!

That's pretty much where I'm at. I'm going to take my FWs in and see if the Berthas have anything for me. Been contemplating a 4W/3H/4H setup if my success with this driver continues.

Easy to swing is a good way to describe this driver. As long as I don't go nuts and try to overpower it, I get great results out of this one. Haven't even taken if off the 10.5 setting yet. Need to get some range time to get it dialed in.

this. ive only been golfing for 6 months. i swung it like i would swing my amp driver and yeah.... what a mess. i eased up on the grunt factor and it flew nicely

Back