Is my logic flawed? (extrapolating shaft choice from 3w shaft success)

chicogolf

This game's fun GDit
Reaction score
Handicap
Ok, frankly, I'm trying to save some $ and travel time here. I'm 90min away from the nearest quality driver fitting and have young kids...so....

I paid a pretty penny for my Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 3w with Matrix Ozik 6Q3.1 Red Tie stiff shaft. I wasn't going to pay $250 for a freaking 3-wood...until I hit the thing. 240-250 with perfect ball flight. It's now my most confident club in the bag. Played Sunday with THP folks and hit driver on the 2nd hole and never took it out of the bag again, hitting 3-wood from there on out.

My driver is an off-the-shelf RBZ Stage 2 in reg (bad recommendation in shaft, it appears). I have no control over this thing. So, I was thinking: why not just replace the shaft with the same one from my 3-wood. Is that silly thinking? As it turns out, I can't find the exact same in a driver shaft, but close enough in a 6q3.

Thoughts? Stupid idea? Just suck it up and go get fitted? Just get a TM stock stiff shaft for the RBZ?

While there is something to be said for finding a shaft that feels right to you and a shaft that performs for you, there is no guarantee that you'll see that same success transfer from club to club.
That said, I support experimenting and tinkering so I'd encourage you to give it a try!

The red tie would be a good staring point if you like the feel of it in you 3 wood and by the way you were hitting on sunday you did you can find them on ebay fairly inexpensively or if you want a similar feel but lower flight then give the black tie a go

I've slowly incorporated the same shaft into all my metalwoods. Slightly different profiles/weights, but in general the same. I love it. Consistent feel is a big thing for me.

I would venture to say that the length and weight differences between your 3 wood and driver have more to do with your results than simply the shaft.

Those 2 shafts are also quite a bit different which isn't helping you either. While the shaft is certainly important, it's only part of the equation when looking to find a combination that works for you. The stock TM shaft is probably too light, long and weak for your swing, from the sound of your post, IMO.

I'm a big fan having the same shaft in my metal woods, just increasing the weight by 10 grams. I'm my R11 I have a Radix 6 X and in my XTD Ti I have a Radix 7 X. Just a slightly higher weight, but basically the same feel and flight from it. Something I went to last year and really like the idea and it is something that I will always try and stay with.

Thanks for the info, guys. I do agree that the shaft in the TM is way too whippy and light. A while back, I hit a friend't Titleist driver in stiff and it was much better. Yes, I have driver swing errors for sure, but the shaft/head combo is not helping me.

I can't seem to find anything in the exact red tie 3.1 for the RBZ head, so perhaps I'll just go to a different head altogether. Only found a 6Q3.

If I can find the exact shaft and get something that has the right amount of weight, I may buy it blind. However, it is starting to look like I just need to go pay for the driver fitting.

The 3.1 is the made for version of the 6Q3 should be very little difference may play slightly stiffer

I've slowly incorporated the same shaft into all my metalwoods. Slightly different profiles/weights, but in general the same. I love it. Consistent feel is a big thing for me.

I did this for a while too, but then got bored with looking at the same shaft for all of my woods :alien:. I try to find different shafts with similar profiles that fit the me and the club properly. But, going with the same shaft for all of your woods isn't a horrible idea. If it gives you confidence, go with it.

Back