Trying To Break 90 Club

4 out of last 6 rounds sub 90. It actually feels like I've made a breakthrough after 22 months swinging these sticks... :)

Tommy

I will be active in this thread in the coming weeks since my season will be starting on April 19th. I finished last year very disappointed after a very distracting summer of buying a house, my girlfriend moving in, and tons of new house priorities in the beginning months. Two years ago I was playing my best golf and shooting low 90's consistently. This past year I was shooting in the very low 100's and high 90's, without any great focus and tons of frustration. The one good thing I came away with last year was the stat that I was on avg. under two putts a hole. I really improved my putting last year and if everything else falls into place like it did two years ago, I am hoping to be posting on here a sub 90 score and accomplishing my goal of becoming a 18 handicap by the end of the year.

I keep getting so stinkin close but there's always one or two holes that keep me over 90. So frustrating! I *will* break 90 before summer starts though. I'm determined :)

in that vein, when trying to break 90, are you guys playing high or low rated courses? For instance, my last two scores were 90 on a 69.2/124 course and 93 on a 71.4/129 course. The 90 was a 19.0 diff according to GHIN and the 93 was an 18.9. So basically the same... maybe I should start playing easier courses to finally get that sub 90 score so I feel better about myself :bananadance:

I think you should, it would be a nice confidence boost.

For me it's my home course 73/134 rating so an 89 is a 14.1 index, my goal is to get to a 12 index or lower by end of summer

you'll get it!

So I headed out for 18 holds down the Gold Coast today.
Started well, really well for me. Hit a 43 on the front nine including 4 pars.

Then the back nine, hole 10 Birdie - oh I new I was on to break it today.
Things started to go up and down and then - STORM - rain wind the whole deal.

Up to club house and my two playing partners decide to call it a day with 3 holes to play (noooooo).
So I waited another 15 minutes and sure enough it passed over and just a little light rain.

So I went back out on my own.

3 holes left goes like this
16 - Long tricky part 4 - bogey
17 - Par 3 across water - par
18 - Par 5 - par

So year I broke 90 like a kid playing with lego.
86 - :banana:
Yes 86 on a par 72.

7 pars and a birdie. Nothing over a double bogey.

Good day, good feeling. Hope you all get there too.
Cheers for reading - Dave

Well shot a 95 today, if I would have drived better, chipped and putted better I would have been in the eighties. I'm about there, just need to get some stuff better around the green. The bad chips and putting need to improve and my scores will be low.

Shot a 43 over 9 Friday. Getting less wild off the tee, striking my irons better. Fewer doubles. Confidence with my irons means even when I hit my drive poorly, I feel like I can punch it back onto the fairway, iron/wedge to the green, 2-putt and walk away happy with bogey. That confidence with my irons has been tremendous.

Also, getting gear that fits your game, and learning to use it properly. It's one thing to have a urethane ball, but taking advantage of it by learning to strike down on the ball with my irons better has made the game so much better. Keeping the ball closer to my pitch mark makes me happy.

So I headed out for 18 holds down the Gold Coast today.
Started well, really well for me. Hit a 43 on the front nine including 4 pars.

Then the back nine, hole 10 Birdie - oh I new I was on to break it today.
Things started to go up and down and then - STORM - rain wind the whole deal.

Up to club house and my two playing partners decide to call it a day with 3 holes to play (noooooo).
So I waited another 15 minutes and sure enough it passed over and just a little light rain.

So I went back out on my own.

3 holes left goes like this
16 - Long tricky part 4 - bogey
17 - Par 3 across water - par
18 - Par 5 - par

So year I broke 90 like a kid playing with lego.
86 - :banana:
Yes 86 on a par 72.

7 pars and a birdie. Nothing over a double bogey.

Good day, good feeling. Hope you all get there too.
Cheers for reading - Dave

Good on ya mate well done sounds like you had a great round what course did you play.

Good on ya mate well done sounds like you had a great round what course did you play.

Just Gold Coast Country Club. None of the super fancy courses. But on that day - I made it mine :cool:

I played with a group of eight other THPers on Sunday. After shooting 89 my last time out I was filled with expectations of continuing my good play. I had some great shots, but also put about 7 tee balls out of bounds, in hazards, and whatnot. That sure ruins a round fast. No more bad rounds for me or I'll be seeking out the Trying-to-break-100 thread.

Just Gold Coast Country Club. None of the super fancy courses. But on that day - I made it mine :cool:

Ok cool I haven't played there might have to play it next time I'm down that way.

Got a lesson tonight and going to work on the short game. Hoping that can shave five strokes or so off so I can pass the 90 mark. Also need a driver quick helping to get rid of the slice. Seems like it comes and goes. Probably just something simple I'm not doing.

for me, when the slice creeps back in it's always my setup that has gotten funky. I stretch a bit, focus on the setup, and it straightens right back out

edit: there are of course a million things than can cause a slice. but if it's only an occasional issue that shows up in spurts then goes away... then I think the setup is the most likely culprit.

91 over the weekend.

Had a good 43 on the front and just lost it on number 10. Triple bogey on a par 3, straight away 200 yard shot.

Double bogey on a par 5 hurt as well.

Oh yeah, made a double bogey after crushing a drive with 90 yards into the green on a easy par 4.

Ugh, but it's all good!

haha, wasting a good drive is my trademark. The other day I striped one down the fairway, leaving myself 60 in on a par 4. proceeded to send two hosel shots *in a row* 45 degrees right and into the water. on the green in 6 and two putted for an 8. should have been an easy par, possibly a birdie... *sigh*

Getting closer to breaking 90, and actually did Sunday at a fun round after the THP Hilton Head Invitational. Shot a very solid 85.

Last 5 rounds though have been 92, 91, 102, 106, & 90. All very much because of the putter. Really need to figure out how to stop deccelerating with the putter.

played today on a course that was in especially awful condition. It was irritating to say the least... had putts jump off line and approaches run off the back because the greens were in such terrible shape. The worst example was on a par 5 that I reached in two. 15 foot putt for eagle that had very little break... but it never had a chance on that crap. Big sand-filled divot looking thing between my ball and the cup and about a half dozen pitch marks. *sigh*. Also the areas around the greens had so many weeds and crap that if you missed by a little bit on your approach, the lie was often very poor. I shot 92. I'm confident that with at least decent course conditions it would have been a handful of strokes better.

haha, wasting a good drive is my trademark. The other day I striped one down the fairway, leaving myself 60 in on a par 4. proceeded to send two hosel shots *in a row* 45 degrees right and into the water. on the green in 6 and two putted for an 8. should have been an easy par, possibly a birdie... *sigh*

I hate this. As I drive more consistently things like this have creeped up and it is awful. I tend to get ahead of myself. I start planning for birdie or par while I am still 130 yards away.

I hate this. As I drive more consistently things like this have creeped up and it is awful. I tend to get ahead of myself. I start planning for birdie or par while I am still 130 yards away.

2/3 rounds since 4/1 have been under 100 (96, 96) both times with over 40 putts so that is my focus right now. I am striking the ball well enough just putting like crap. Easter morning I am playing a course that if I strike it well should do well at because it is on the shorter side.

2/3 rounds since 4/1 have been under 100 (96, 96) both times with over 40 putts so that is my focus right now. I am striking the ball well enough just putting like crap. Easter morning I am playing a course that if I strike it well should do well at because it is on the shorter side.

I am the opposite, I averaged less than 2 putts a hole last year but always had those blow up holes that killed my round.

good luck sunday

Last edited:
Shot a 92 today and 97 yesterday... Two birdies in two days... V happy!

Had 6 pars and a birdie in total... With a string of 4 pars :)

Putting wasn't too great... Neither was chipping on! Left a few too short!

Next time :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

playing tomorrow with only one goal: be under 90. As long as my recent fat iron shot problem doesn't rear its ugly head, I think it's doable. I'm going to approach it like a tournament, focusing on every shot like it's going to make me money :)

it wasn't to be. Was on pace through hole 7, bogey average... not great but not terrible. Then on hole 8 I took a quadruple-bogey 7. For some reason I just couldn't hit the ball on that hole. three mishits in a row left me behind the green and I still took 4 shots to get it down... ugh. That pretty much blew my shot at an 89 or better, and the triple bogey 7 (with a penalty for water) on the 10th sealed the deal. ended up 95 yet again because of just a few bad shots on a couple of holes. It really sucks to know that I have the shots in my bag, but I consistently miss bad enough a few times per round to keep me over 90 every single time out. grr.

You'll get it soon baldguy

Hey Bald I remember you from breaking 100!

My last round I had an 8 and a 7... But a string of pars on back 9!

Don't give up on it man!

I ended 92 but that's just 3 daft putting strokes :)

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back