Knoxville, Tennessee

Well here we go. It's my last day in Knoxville. Based on the experience I've had this weekend I am fully committed to the move. The region is very nice. The scenery is beautiful (i can't believe how green it is). The weather feels a lot like Omaha (with more rain) and was substantially less humid than I thought it would be (maybe Bugaha is just that sticky).

I can't say enough about the people here. I have had 10 minute conversations with total strangers when I ask them about a good place to grab a bite, what the town is like, if they like living here, etc. It's been a fabulous experience.

I have a meeting with a potential employer at 9:30am and then will be having lunch with two others at noon. I'm hoping to get to see a rental house on Tazewell Pike this afternoon before i fly out. I saw a property in Clinton on Saturday right after I landed and while it is a great place, it is a bit far out for us. Potentially we'd both work downtown or east of the city.

Wish me luck!

Well here we go. It's my last day in Knoxville. Based on the experience I've had this weekend I am fully committed to the move. The region is very nice. The scenery is beautiful (i can't believe how green it is). The weather feels a lot like Omaha (with more rain) and was substantially less humid than I thought it would be (maybe Bugaha is just that sticky).

I can't say enough about the people here. I have had 10 minute conversations with total strangers when I ask them about a good place to grab a bite, what the town is like, if they like living here, etc. It's been a fabulous experience.

I have a meeting with a potential employer at 9:30am and then will be having lunch with two others at noon. I'm hoping to get to see a rental house on Tazewell Pike this afternoon before i fly out. I saw a property in Clinton on Saturday right after I landed and while it is a great place, it is a bit far out for us. Potentially we'd both work downtown or east of the city.

Wish me luck!

Good luck with your meetings with the potential employers!

I came to Knoxville almost 10 years ago expecting to stay no more than 3 years. I can't imagine leaving now.

My wife and I play a little muni called Dead Horse Lake once a week, but it's lost its greens this summer. Centennial in Oak Ridge is an OK course I play a couple times per month. I absolutely love the Oak Ridge Country Club, but it's a members only affair, and about 45 mins from Knoxville. We also play Lambert Acres in Maryville a lot, which is a nifty 27 hole layout with some serious rednecks for clientele.

Also check out Fairways and Greens, a fantastic practice facility. Great short game area, 2 putting greens, and two sets of grass tees on the driving range.

Lambert Acres = Jorts

Also check out Fairways and Greens, a fantastic practice facility. Great short game area, 2 putting greens, and two sets of grass tees on the driving range.

Love Fairways and Greens. Would definitely join the place if it wasn't an hour away.

I'm from the Chattanooga metro area, but have spent some time in the Knoxville area with friends. IMO this area is the best place to live. Most of us are with in 2-4 hr drive to Nashville, Atlanta, Birmingham, Several of the Kentucky eastern cities. Great cheap cost of living and housing prices. For the most part great weather, thou we have had a ton more rain this year than is normal and the upper plateau will get some snow, but nothing too major. An ever ending supply of outdoor stuff. If you can't find something to do, your dead.

Plus look at it this way, its about 5 hrs to August....

Well I made it back to Omaha. The meetings went well. The first place was unsure of their timeline to replace a position and may fill it by shifting staff responsibilities. I have an interview on August 15th for one of the places I met for lunch and the other is working out a timeline for hiring their opening. Overall a good morning.

My wife and I are in. We're ready to do this and start the adventure. She has to start work Sept 3 so we're still working out our timeline for moving down. Finding a rental house in East Tennessee is our next task. We have a Doberman Pinscher and apparently those aren't allowed in apartments/some rental houses.

Depending on what happens I'll either move down with her over labor day or i'll stay and work in Omaha through the end of September.

Either way, I'm moving to east TN.

Sounds awesome. Glad you got back ok. Good luck with the rental search.

When it comes time to buy let me know, I know a good realtor.

Welcome to the family!

CL...how did everything go with the move? Adapting well to Knoxville?

CL...how did everything go with the move? Adapting well to Knoxville?

Went really well. Just bought a house. Looking for a golf league to get into or at least a somewhat regular match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went really well. Just bought a house. Looking for a golf league to get into or at least a somewhat regular match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's good to hear. If you are north, dead horse lake golf course has leagues and matches I believe. Not my favorite course though. If you are south, Creekside plantation also has leagues and matches but it's a little 9 hole course.

Back