Bag set up, can't decide between 54* W or 2 h, suggestions?

BamBooBender

See-Moe
Reaction score
Handicap
My brain
With the 3hyron in the bag (for now, need to get some hard numbers gap wise), and the Alt D on order, that only leaves two spots. I realize that ultimately I have to make the decision, and I will, but suggestions never hurt.

I'm pretty sure I need a 3w, most likely adjustable, leaning towards the BB3w right now.

What is making it tough is trying to decide between:

Filling the gap between the D(49) and The S (58) and go with a 16-17 3w.

Strong 3w and then 2h (or maybe even a 1h) I don't really have any trouble elevating lower lofted clubs.

I was leaning towards 54/medium 3w for versatility around the green, until I tried the Smart sole S that is. It's kind of early to be sure, but I know my game/swing pretty well and I think the S sole is going to versatile enough for me. It seems like I'm either in decent shape if I miss the green or deep kimchi.

The 54 would be a ~110 and in club for me, but I'm pretty sure I could cut some off the D to cover that. Then again I can't really remember having ~110 in, always seems to be more or less than that.

I'm not making this any easier, maybe I should just get them all, carry 15 for a while, and kick out the one that's not being used.

Decisions, decisions.

Unless you are playing in competitive tournaments or trying to establish an accurate HC every round, there is no crime in carrying 15 clubs.

Golf is a great game.....have fun!

I like no more than 4 degree or 5 degree at the very most between all clubs from driver to LW.

Unless you are playing in competitive tournaments or trying to establish an accurate HC every round, there is no crime in carrying 15 clubs.

Golf is a great game.....have fun!

I like no more than 4 degree or 5 degree at the very most between all clubs from driver to LW.

Thanks for the replies guys. I probably answered my own question, but appreciate input.

I went 54 degree wedge. I don't hit my woods too good anymore.

I'd say a wedge, because I think an in-between shot at 110 yards is going to affect your scoring more often than an in-between shot at 220 yards.

You guys are probably right, the wedge would be the smart play.

I think that the wedge is the way to go thats where you can make up shots around the green. IMO

I would wager that you use the *54 ten times a round and the 2h only a few times. The 54 gives you flexibility around the greens and that will help your scoring more than a long clubs.

I usually try and think about which club I would play more, or have a need for in specific situations that keep popping up. Or vice versa, which clubs you don't play much at all.

Thanks for the reply's. I suppose it will take some time on the course to figure it all out. It remains to be seen how much I will use the S sole around the green and on pitches, but I will get a 54 of some sort soon. Now that I think about more, I still have to see for sure what I can expect from the 3 hyron before looking into a 1 or 2 hybo.

I'd say 54. And if you ended up wanting the 2h in your bag, I'd drop the 58 before dropping the 54.

I'd say 54. And if you ended up wanting the 2h in your bag, I'd drop the 58 before dropping the 54.

I'd probably be more likely to drop the 2h than the 58. That would be a first for me because I have had several lob wedges that didn't stay in the bag for long.

I'm a proponent of less clubs on both ends of the bag. I often play with less than 14 clubs and I think most ameturs overthink clubs and gaps.

For instance my bag has 4 and sometimes 5 hybrids but really the gaps aren't wide enough for me to carry all of them.

I'm a proponent of less clubs on both ends of the bag. I often play with less than 14 clubs and I think most ameturs overthink clubs and gaps.

For instance my bag has 4 and sometimes 5 hybrids but really the gaps aren't wide enough for me to carry all of them.

I played that way for decades (D,3, 1-P). I just used my pitching wedge from 120 and in. I only bought a proper sand wedge when I started playing courses that actually had sand bunkers. The dog tracks I played in N TX had dirt bunkers that you could just chip out of. lol

I like having the selection we have nowadays better though. I probably am over thinking it, but the season hasn't started here yet, so I have the time to ponder options.

I suggest the 54*. Chances are you will use the 54* many, many more times a round than the 2h.

I guess I should have explained a little better. I think, for most amateurs, that confidence with fewer clubs leads to better contact and better shots. I think confidence in what your trying to do will lead to better results. I feel confidence is highly underrated with beginners and high handicappers.

I guess I should have explained a little better. I think, for most amateurs, that confidence with fewer clubs leads to better contact and better shots. I think confidence in what your trying to do will lead to better results. I feel confidence is highly underrated with beginners and high handicappers.

You explained yourself well enough, I think, and I completely agree. I probably didn't word my response all that well because I meant it to say I agree--having less clubs to deal with could help a person develop some confidence with them.
I personally believe that having confidence in my swing is better than any sort of clubs I can buy.

I was recently facing a very similar dilemma and having trouble deciding between carrying a 5 wood or a 52* wedge. I ultimately decided to go with the 52 since I had an 8* gap from my A wedge to my 56* that was leaving me close to a 30 yard gap between wedges. The 3 wood I carry is 15* and 3H is 20* so there really wasn't much reason for me to carry the 5 wood making my decision to get the 52* that much easier.

Back