A weekend comparing my G15 to a G25 7 iron

toddhale010

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok first off I'll explain my reasoning for this, I'm wanting to switch irons. I've been playing the G15 irons for 1.5 years now but I'm looking to get away from the large club heads. I hit the G15's pretty darn good even though I'm short with irons but my distances are very consistent so I'm very confident in them. I live nearly 2 hours from the closest store to go hit clubs so I decided to watch ebay and pick up a couple single irons on the cheap to try. On my local course I hit my 7 iron more than any iron in the bag, my 7 is a 130-135 yard club for me in the cooler conditions we've had this spring. I grabbed a G25 7 iron that matched my G15's which is regular flex steel black dot standard length and lie. On Friday afternoon once our course cleared out I went to hole 12's fairway using my golf buddy gps and put myself 140 yards from green center knowing that was out of reach for my G15 7 iron in order to keep from hitting multiple balls onto the green. I hit 3 balls with each 7 iron starting in the middle of the fairway which is a very tight lie right now and then checked the results. I went back to the same spot and repeated this to double check my results and saw the exact same. Out of 6 shots each now the G25 was longer on 4 shots and the same as the G15 on 2 shots which I didn't make good contact with. I then moved over to 140 yards out in the rough which was actually a very good lie and hit 3 shots with each, my G15 was landing just short of the green but closer than I was from the tight fairway lie, then hit the G25 and damn first shot hit the green, second shot hit left fringe pin high (pin was close to front of green), and then third shot hits the green. I couldn't believe it so I tried it again and hit the green twice with the G25 and none with the G15. After seeing the difference I compared it to my G15 6 iron that I use on a par 3 over a pond, it takes a full 135 to hit the green so I normally use my 6 iron because I have to hit my 7 perfect with no wind to get on that green. The G25 7 iron was perfect for me on this hole I was hitting green center and during my Saturday round actually flew the green with a slight breeze behind me. Now I know comparing one club in a set won't tell the whole story but the G25 7 iron sure performs better for me than my G15, I don't know if it was the club head or the shaft making the difference or a combination of both. I have a set of JPX 825's coming Wednesday to try against the G15's and I'm curios to see the outcome. I really didn't expect the G25 to be any different than my G15. Sorry for the lengthy post just hoping to help someone looking at these clubs.

While neither was the right club for me, they are both quality clubs and this solid info. Thanks for sharing.

I really liked the G25 when I tried it recently, but it wasn't quite right for me. Felt like a quality product though and smooth and easy to hit. Thanks

Was the G15 the AWT shaft and the G25 the CFS? I found the CFS to be a better feeling shaft when I tested the two.

Was the G15 the AWT shaft and the G25 the CFS? I found the CFS to be a better feeling shaft when I tested the two.

Yes my G15's have the AWT shafts and the G25 has the CFS, the G25 does have a better feel to me as well. The G25 seems lighter and our course right now is extremely hard to hit off of since we had a bad winter and the Bermuda hasn't popped up yet and the G25 seemed to help me more on the very tight lies over the weekend. On the range we have grass already and the G25 feels much better than my G15 and I also feel the G25 is every bit as forgiving as the G15's but that's only a 7 iron comparison.

I think the new sole on the G25 definitely helps on tight lies. That was probably the one area where my G15s felt a bit lacking. That's one of the reasons I went to the 825 this year. But oh, how I miss the G series long irons.

Back