Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played 9 yesterday in very soft conditions shot 47 w/20 putts(a 4&3 putt) 1 penalty and one hole I was dumb and "practiced w/60*" on my approach that cost me 3strokes.

Shot a 49/55=104 yesterday afternoon. My ball striking is vastly improved on my full swing shots as a result of lessons and it started to show up on the score card. I hit 5/18 GIR yesterday for the first time and I probably could have gotten to 6 or 7 with a better performance pitching and chipping. 35 putts, 7/14 FW. I left a ton of shots on the course with flubbed and duffed pitches and chips, but I know as I keep practicing and playing I'll get my mojo back there. It does usually take a few rounds. 1 Birdie, 3 pars, 3 bogeys and a bunch of not so good holes but room for improvement. Six penalties was poor but I was able to play through it. I also was able to get the driver back in play after putting in a heavier shaft (Aldila NV 75X), which tightened up my dispersion and accuracy off the tee. I'm looking forward to my next trip out.

Drop those penalties and you'll be under under 100 easy

Drop those penalties and you'll be under under 100 easy

Believe it or not the duffed chips and pitches were worse yesterday. For example, on the #1 handicap hole (555 par 5 uphill) I am at the base of the green after my 3rd shot, and hit my ESC max due to some unspeakably bad short game work. Both are correctable and I'll get it sorted out soon.

Practice practice, hone that short game.

Where'd your penalties come from?

Practice practice, hone that short game.

Where'd your penalties come from?

4 were off the tee; just bad swings. Two were recovery shots gone poorly. They were all correctable. I'll still get 1 or 2 a round most likely but that's manageable. I definitely need to get some more practice in this week.

Shot a 96 yesterday at Sharpstown, one of the easier courses in Houston. 49/47. my blow up holes were 2 par 3s. got double par on both as i lost my tee shots on both. drives were ok for the most part. 3h hybrid is my best long club, still having some trouble with long irons (4,5). short irons are looking great. still hitting a line drive sometimes, but most of the time i'm getting good contact with medium-high ball flight.

4 were off the tee; just bad swings. Two were recovery shots gone poorly. They were all correctable. I'll still get 1 or 2 a round most likely but that's manageable. I definitely need to get some more practice in this week.

Keep practicing with a purpose and those costly misses will decrease. Focus on what needs worked on during practice but don't forget the rest of your game.

Shot a 96 yesterday at Sharpstown, one of the easier courses in Houston. 49/47. my blow up holes were 2 par 3s. got double par on both as i lost my tee shots on both. drives were ok for the most part. 3h hybrid is my best long club, still having some trouble with long irons (4,5). short irons are looking great. still hitting a line drive sometimes, but most of the time i'm getting good contact with medium-high ball flight.

Congrats on the 96, shake off those two par 3's. Make sure your swing isn't getting long with the 4&5 irons and keep the same tempo as the short irons

After last weeks 98 I shot a 108 yesterday. Nothing and I mean nothing was good about it. My swing was all over the place a few good approach shots with 7,8,9 irons from 150 yards in, driver I think 2 fairways were hit, lost 4 balls, stuck in the bunkers and virtually double bogie's or worse on every hole. I think I had 4 bogies. I just wasn't feeling it, shanked a ball 15 yards to the right into water, took a drop and did the exact same thing again, by that point I was ready to head home.

The worse thing is I know why, I rushed my pre shot or just didn't do it, I rushed by takeaway and back swing, which automatically means I downswing to quick and lift my right shoulder which causes me to come in steep and chunk the thing. I had no one behind me and not one in front due to the rain, so there was no real excuse to screw up as badly as I did.

I shot a 105 yesterday at Wildcat golf course here in Houston. Had 39 putts, 4 obs. Only silver lining is that I am stroking my hybrids, but I need to make <100 yards a priority.

I had an interesting round of golf today. The greens were being treated so they had temporary greens set up just short of the normal areas. So they were flat and putting was harder bc you were putting on normal fairway length grass. My irons and driving were really on and I shot an 81. I'm assuming that would be more like a 91 with elevated greens though. A flat green area doesn't really test your short game like a normal green does. I still chipped some that were elevated but found myself using a lot of the short, low chips made with more of a putting stroke.

Two extra strokes were from a penalty after landing one in the water. I'm not really missing with my irons anymore. I stopped using the 3 & 4i so that helped a lot, and topped two with my 5i that still rolled straight and over 100 yards. I had 30 putts and only 1 three putt. I hit 11 out of 14 fairways and the remaining 3 were slight pulls that were in good positions for my second shot. My driving distances are getting more consistent as well and I'm averaging 250 yards.

I hit 9 out of 18 greens, but they don't really count with the way the temporary greens were set up. I do think I would have hit 5 or so which is better than the 0 that I have been hitting.

I also used the project(a) ball and liked it much better than the E6. I've found that I gain little in ball flight using the E6, but gain a lot with the added spin of the project(a). I switched wedges to Vokey SM4's in 50/56/60 with S200 shafts and like them much better than my previous ATV's. So I still need more time with the project(a) and wedges to see how they will perform over a longer time period.

Needless to say, this was an awesome day for me. I just hope I can stay near 90 under normal conditions. It was also 20 mph winds today and I managed them well.

I have never broke 100 for a complete 18. I have recently shot a 46 and 48 when I played 9 holes, but today I shot 91 (18 holes)on a regulation course at 6066 yards. I'm sure I wont be able to keep at the level for the short term, but dang it felt good.

I have never broke 100 for a complete 18. I have recently shot a 46 and 48 when I played 9 holes, but today I shot 91 (18 holes)on a regulation course at 6066 yards. I'm sure I wont be able to keep at the level for the short term, but dang it felt good.

grats, man! I think you might surprise yourself. once you really grasp the concept that you actually do have the skill to make it happen, your confidence goes up, your focus intensifies, and nothing over 100 will ever satisfy you again :)

Hi all,

I played my first ever 18 hole round of golf on Sunday and shot a 110. I've been taking lessons here and there at the range since January in hopes that I'd be able to play with my friends when the weather warms up.

I'm pretty lousy with my longer clubs so I currently hit a 6 iron off the tee (which only goes ~150 yds, but fairly consistent). The course wasn't especially long from the whites (~5500 yds) so it didn't hurt me too badly.

Highlights:
Playing 18 holes for the first time! Had an awesome time and love this game already. I made 2 pars (woo!) One on the first hole (par 4) and on the third hole (par 3). I also made a 55 foot putt and generally did well with long putts. Only lost 1 ball.

Lowlights:
Shot double par twice. While I'm fine with my wedges from >50 yards out, (anything that I can use a half swing and up), I'm miserable with short chips- I kept topping them and shooting them across the green. On multiple holes I sailed the green on back to back shots. I racked up a lot of strokes this way.

Next steps:
Gonna keep taking lessons every 2-3 weeks or so and playing as much as I can. Don't really care about distance but I'm hoping to be able to hit my 3 iron or hybrid off the tee by the end of the season. I can hit 6-9 straight pretty consistently at the moment. I also obviously need to work on chipping, but I'll probably opt to just practice that on my own for now.

All in all, just really excited to play. My goal over the winter was to learn the game and become "not miserable to play with," and I think that while I'm far from good, I did achieve that goal. Will update with my next round, hopefully soon!

I'm in this club too, and I've played for years...
This weekend I shot a 96 on Saturday and a 93 on Sunday (this round inculded 6 3-putts), this was the first time I have broke 100 all year. The course I'm a member at is Links style and is a little over 6,500 years from the members tees (which my group plays).The course rating is 72.3 and a Shope of 133. I have gone out to eaiser tracks and even broke 90 (88 is my best 18 hole score ever), but at my home course trouble lurks everywhere and the dreaded 100+ round is a real possibility.

What I've been working on:

Lessons with a Pro (since I've started lessons I've shaved 10 strokes off my average score)
I've reread Hogan's 5 Lessons at least 3 times since January
Stopped watching Golf Fix on Monday Nights (Too many swing thoughts to remember)
Skipping the gym once a week and getting at least one pratice session on the range during the week
Chipping and Putting work

Dax

Hi all,...

Watch a few YouTube videos on chipping using the bounce of your wedges. Then try different combinations of lofts and grinds with yours and other peoples wedges to see which works for you. A lot of people like the Taylomade ATV wedges, but I had trouble with them. I have a 60° Vokey with 10° of bounce that works really well for me.

In what was essentially my first game ever (not counting when I was a kid) I shot a 114, my second game I shot a 102. Im going out again this weekend and am hoping to hit around a ~95. I feel like I have a lot of areas to improve on and each game I play is a drastic improvement from the last. I really want to get out there again, ive done so much reading and am pretty sure I can lower my score a bunch more again, i just need to get out there and try what ive learned.

All of my last few rounds have been around 100, with 12th April being 100 (saved by a birdy on the 18th), best being 96 back in Sept, my aim for the coming season is to improve, be this through lessons or just actually dedicating time to practice and playing...:dohanim:

Problems:
driving accuracy with all my fairways misses being pushes, making my second shot more difficult than it should be.
Always have a couple of blowup holes to start the round, even when i've spent the time warming up on the range and putting greens,

I think i read this on here a while back, 1 thing that's really helped me is to write down a handicap adjusted 'par score' on my scorecard so i can avoid stressing about my scores when i'm close to the par but am still not on the green... really useful!

Good luck all!

Went double nickels on each nine today; 55/55=110. 1/18 GIR, 9/14 FW and 34 putts. Poor ball striking round. Couldn't string two good shots together, 40 degree with onshore breeze weather didn't help. 4 penalties; only 2 from the tee though. I did chip and pitch better today but I still have work to do. Not practicing due to being sick this week definitely hurt a bit. Thankfully it will be warmer tomorrow and I should get some practice in.

49/56 = 105. It could have been lower but I went for it on 18 and plunked a pair of balls in the water. Knew that even if I had to take my ESC I had a PB so I decided "what the heck" and tried to par it. 9/14 FIR and 36 putts. 6 penalties hurt today, but shows that I have room for improvement. Got my grip sorted out and felt like I was aligned well today. Starting to put it all together.

I did chip and pitch better today but I still have work to do. Not practicing due to being sick this week definitely hurt a bit. Thankfully it will be warmer tomorrow and I should get some practice in.
I am right with you. I definitely need to get out there and work more on my chipping, pitching, and putting. I have let that slip a bit over the last couple of weeks and it is starting to show in my putting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back