Separation Anxiety:Dogs

We have the opposite situation. As soon as we start getting ready to leave, our dogs start herding us out the door because they know they are getting a treat! As soon as we pour our drinks or put on our jackets (they even know we are leaving when we turn off our laptops!), they are in the kitchen, sitting near the treat drawers.

When we come home, sometimes they are downstairs waiting for us, but just as often, they are laying on the bed, floor or couch and don't even get up when we come up the stairs!

We also have a house with a fenced yard and a dog door, so they can go in and out as they please, which can't hurt, but I don't know if that helps!

I can't imagine having to deal with what you are going through. I guess we have been pretty lucky. I would say having two dogs helps a lot, except JB and GG have two dogs. So I don't know.

edit. actually just watched the video. does this dog sleep in your bed? near your bed? in sight of you? im sure the dog has something going on if was abandoned in the rest stop and found someone who is caring. also a tired dog does not necessarily mean agility, tired needs to be brain tired (my dobe taught me that one)

Sleeps in the bed. Im not sure about his past. Perhaps he thinks we are never coming back because who knows what he's been through.

Sleeps in the bed. Im not sure about his past. Perhaps he thinks we are never coming back because who knows what he's been through.

not good... sorry...
when we got our dobe at 8 weeks she was a furnace and an awesome snuggle for january utah weather. she would pile in the blankets where the 2 year old boxer wouldnt. insert major nightmares with crate and leaving the house. after 2 months of this warm snuggling bliss, it took 4 to stop her separation anxiety.
crate him for a week or two next to the bed then move the crate a little farther every week untill he is out of sight for the night (this could take a month). make the crate his den/sanctuary/fun place. his meals need to be in the crate (dont close the door just put the food tray in the crate) read a book in the crate. eat a human treat and give him treats while in the crate. crate here crate there every where crate quite literally. this is his den/sanctuary, if he goes in it by himself dont follow but give him a treat. get him in a crate routine (part of the boot camp our dogs had to go through) 2 hours crate time half an hour no crate time but the no crate time is constructive not lounging around, work his brain and give affection when he is done and going back in the crate. if he protests in the crate dont cave in, give your no or uh uh command and then let him out when he is calm so he learns calm is necessary to come out. if you open the crate door dont let him barge out he has to come out on your terms. if he is whining in crate while you sleep dont shout no or correct him, this is attention and a dog will accept it in the end if they get nothing else if your out of sight.
our dog behaviorist here in utah aint cheap 70 or so bucks an hour. but worth every penny but be wary of all the snake oil sellers in these days and times of ceaser milan wanna be trainers. ours was found at a saturday morning 80 plus dog social group and does monthly park walk groups as well.

hope that helps some

Some friends of mine were talking about this the other day. They mentioned the exercise thing, the kong thing (although not that wicked timer mechanism) and this thing:

http://www.thundershirt.com/Product/Thundershirt.aspx

It is a compression vest, essentially, that is supposed to calm the dog. Two of my friends swear by it, I have no clue if it actually works.

Our dog was abandoned and left to die chained in a yard before we rescued her so I feel your pain. She has some serious separation anxiety when we leave. Luckily tho she isn't one to chew things or even cause any problems at all, it's more of a depression. Her problem is that she simply sits in the corner or on top of anything she can that's ours (pillows, clothes, shoes) and simply won't move until we come home. It's sad because she won't eat or drink or do anything at all regardless of the time we're gone. The poor little dog just sits and waits. Unfortunately I can't offer any advice because we've tried a bunch and nothing helps. We still leave the tv or radio on in hopes she'll find some comfort in hearing voices. It absolutely tears me up to think someone would leave her. She has never held a grudge against humans
e5avape3.jpg

Evok,
they truly give devotion and joy. unfortunately there are many days i dont think a human can compete in those categories

I will second the thundershirt. My dog isn't too bad, but sometimes when we leave him at my aunts he would be a bit anxious and the thundershirt always helped. Ended up giving it to my other aunt who's dog is extremely scarred in thunderstorms and the shirt works wonders for her.

I think Tim said they tried the Thundershirt without much success.

Dogs are wonderful creatures and truly man's best friend. I truly believe there is no such thing as a bad dog, just bad owners.

I know what our dog went through. I read some of these other stories and think "What the F is the problem with some people that they think it is okay to treat animals like this?"

Are you saying an owners lack of attention makes dogs anxious? I would have to disagree with this if so...
I think Tim said they tried the Thundershirt without much success.

Dogs are wonderful creatures and truly man's best friend. I truly believe there is no such thing as a bad dog, just bad owners.

Maybe I'll tell my girlfriend I read on THP that he just needs a buddy :glasses-cool:

make sure its a calmer breed and maybe a little older then a pup

My previous dog was like this. Chewed our window sills and even jumped through a glass window. I ended up taking her everywhere with me, weather permitting. She loved the car. My parents (retired) ended up "babysitting" her when I went to work and eventually kept her permanently.

My previous dog was like this. Chewed our window sills and even jumped through a glass window. I ended up taking her everywhere with me, weather permitting. She loved the car. My parents (retired) ended up "babysitting" her when I went to work and eventually kept her permanently.

Pretty much me now. I do have very helping family close by. So if my girlfriend and I want to get out for a night on the weekend I have several options. He has actually stayed over night at my aunt and uncles and did great

Are you saying an owners lack of attention makes dogs anxious? I would have to disagree with this if so...
Yes, I am saying that. Along with misbreeding, maltreatment, etc etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's a bit absurd.

Leave a radio on. We do that for the younger dog of ours along with separating her from the older dog.
Try confining the dog to its own space and leave a radio on but not too loud.

I know our dog has become a little more hyper since our kids were born.
He just doesn't get as much playtime or as many walks as he used to.
So it would seem that his personality has changed some due to to a decrease in attention.

Oh my lord, C.J, the first year and a half was TERRIBLE. I still have a small chew hole in my wall to prove it. I'd like to say it will take time, but breeds are different and circumstances are as well. I usually leave the TV on for him and he does fine. He's got a blanket to curl up in, toys to play with, and it works. He still carries a shoe off now and then, but nothing like before with the chewing and destruction. Hang in there man and experiment a little with different things.

Watch the Dog Whisperer and quit treating your dog like a small child. Really...

Not sure when I asked how I should treat MY dog, or how you even came to that conclusion. Just simply asking for tips and pointers on the situation.

Thanks, though.

Oh my lord, C.J, the first year and a half was TERRIBLE. I still have a small chew hole in my wall to prove it. I'd like to say it will take time, but breeds are different and circumstances are as well. I usually leave the TV on for him and he does fine. He's got a blanket to curl up in, toys to play with, and it works. He still carries a shoe off now and then, but nothing like before with the chewing and destruction. Hang in there man and experiment a little with different things.

Thanks Jeff. I wish I knew if this is why, or because he was abandoned. All for naught though, he has a loving home now. I'm sure as more time passes, with constant training, it will get better.

Watch the Dog Whisperer and quit treating your dog like a small child. Really...

Not sure why people bother making comments like this. Really...

Back