The Player's Championship New Playoff

I like it. You battled over 72 holes to a tie, let 3 holes decide it instead of just one where an unlucky break or a fortuitous bounce changes everything.
I couldn't say it any better than right here.

Definitely like this change...more golf to admire!

Intresting i guess it adds some drama

I always prefer a predetermined number of holes versus sudden death

Going to my fifth straight Players Championship.....really looking forward to it again. Will go to 2 practice rounds, and Thursday rounds and play a round (or two) at the World Golf HoF again. Slammer and Squire this time - last time I played the King and Bear with my father. Hope the weather holds up and doesnt screw things up. As far as the playoff, I'm all for it.

Last edited:
I was just about to start a thread about this. Search is your friend.

I prefer the 3 hole loop or even the 18 hole playoff over the sudden death. After 4 rounds, if there are players tied for first, it should not come down to one more hole.

Looks like an entire week of sunshine for the Players. Last week we were deluged with rains/flooding so we're lucky that the tournament is being held this coming week and not last week. Looking forward to watching a few practice rounds and the first round on Thursday.

Now i need to see a playoff and take it into hole 17. So much excitement can happen in that situation.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

i like the 3 hole playoff. kinda like how i liked the college football overtime over the nfls for years until recently!

Just heard about this as well. Gripes will be made, however IMO it makes sense to make it 3 holes. Definitely allows for those instances if a player has been sitting and waiting to have more than one hole in the playoff.

I kind of like the sudden death playoff. I like the drama and the fact that there's really no opportunity to make a mistake. The best player may not always win....but just being in a playoff means your good enough to be there anyway. I think extending it has a lot to do with tv ratings and I guess that's what the real purpose is....but I can't complain about extra golf!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

We almost got to see the new format.

Back