Trying to Break 80 Club

Blazer, sounds like you had a great round until the eighteenth. I definitely remember letting my mind get in the way of scoring by making me change my game.

Jeff
sent using tapatalk

A 43/42/85. Had my best Day driving of this year. But they plugged and sanded the greens, and it was almost impossible to putt decently. Got to play with a 75 yr. old gentleman that won the Texas all left-handed championship three times. Bubba could really drive the ball. One of the most enjoyable rounds I have had in a while.

Shot an 82 with three doubles today. Another golden opportunity slipped away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best in 2014 is a 78 first time in a long time(2 years) to get below 80. Knocked on the door a couple of times 80 , 82 but mostly mid 80's. Seems I choke at the end especially
if I know the score near the end of a round.

Re checking in on this thread as I put in work to try get to 70s and stay there consistently

Blazer, sounds like you had a great round until the eighteenth. I definitely remember letting my mind get in the way of scoring by making me change my game.

Jeff
sent using tapatalk

True that. The fewer the number of thoughts on a golf course the better. From now on I'm going to take the advice of the gambler, "Never count your money 'til the dealings done."

I'm checking in here with everyone. After several rounds in the 80's and trying to break down where I can pick up some strokes I regressed the last two rounds and shot low 90's. I know I'm better than that so this is where I will be hanging out to find the motivation and different perspectives on how to post that first round in the 70's. To date my personal best is an 86 at what I would consider my home course playing between 6600-6700 yds.

Lessons are paying off and I just need to mentally keep myself in the round to avoid the big numbers.

45 front, 38 on the back. First time under 40 for 9. Front was bad and finally figured out what I was doing after I tripled 9. Got my tempo back and proceeded to have 6 pars and 3 bogeys. Missed my 3 birdie opportunities on the back.

Definitely making progress..

45 front, 38 on the back. First time under 40 for 9. Front was bad and finally figured out what I was doing after I tripled 9. Got my tempo back and proceeded to have 6 pars and 3 bogeys. Missed my 3 birdie opportunities on the back.

Definitely making progress..

Boy am I familiar with those kind of rounds. ..

Boy am I familiar with those kind of rounds. ..

Same here. I can never seem to put two good nines together. One will always be about 2-5 strokes more & usually that's the front 9. It's something I have not been able to figure out.

on a recent St. George, UT vacation, I shot a 37 on a long 9 hole (3200 yds from the whites). 8 pars & 1 bogie - driver was automatic & lag putts were stellar. First time I broke 40 ... at least I now know I'm capable of it - now just have to hold it together for a full round ... I'm thinking this is the year it will happen

Last edited:
2nd time out this year and shot a 79 at a difficult course I've never played. Granted I'm a 4.0 handicap, but I didn't expect it this early on in the season :D

2nd time out this year and shot a 79 at a difficult course I've never played. Granted I'm a 4.0 handicap, but I didn't expect it this early on in the season :D

Nice job, may be setting the tone for the year to come. Congrats!

Nice job, may be setting the tone for the year to come. Congrats!

Hope so :) Got my first tournament in a bit less than a month, so if I can get down to par, I foresee some some wins, but one step at a time

on a recent St. George, UT vacation, I shot a 37 on a long par 3 (3200 yds from the whites). 8 pars & 1 bogie - driver was automatic & lag putts were stellar. First time I broke 40 ... at least I now know I'm capable of it - now just have to hold it together for a full round ... I'm thinking this is the year it will happen

What course did you play?

Had a great day today. Shot a 42/40/82. Including a Quad bogey 9 on a par 5 when I bladed a chip over the green into the woods and down the ravine that took 3 shots to get out. Hit all but one fairway. Hit all four par 3s in one, missing all birdie putts on the edge of the hole on each.:banghead: All in all, my best performance of the year.

A special thanks to my playing partner Buuba yesterday that corrected my stance which led to all the straight drives today. Most second shots were from 150 yards and less. Really dialing in the yardages on the Speedblades now. also my best day hitting all the irons.

What course did you play?

The "Links" course at Sand Hollow - really fun course. After doing touristy things during the day (Zion, Bryce, etc), was nice to just play a very nice legit 9 hole course before dark.

My last round in the 70's was about a year ago now (78). Fired a number of low/mid 80's rounds but haven't been able to break back in since. Lessons have been helping though, hitting the irons really well right now and picked up a little distance. Hoping to get back down there a few times this year!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Had a really ugly day off the tee and somehow managed to scramble my way to an 81. Made a few nice wedge shots and dropped two birdies on the round. It's strange how some days everything feels awful yet the number is decent.

Good luck out there this weekend THP!

43-41-84 today for me. Third time out this year and I already tied my personal best from last year. It's crazy what 1 lesson and then a ton of practice will do over the winter. The thing is, I didn't even feel like I played that well. My putting was off all day only making 2-3 one putts and having a few three putts. My wedges were also very bad. I bladed at least 3 shots and flat out shanked one from the smack dab middle of the fairway between 70-110 yards. Overall though I'm pretty happy, I feel like the day of breaking 80 is gonna be here soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shot a 42/39/81 today. only bad shot today came on 7, hitting a 7 iron over 150 yards of water with the wind behind and put it in the drink. 32 putts, the MXM #7 with the 3.0 Superstroke grip is really starting to roll nicely.
Reading in James review on the 2.0, someone stated they were bent over to much. I noticed today I also was bent over also, straightened up on the practice green and started to sink putts.
It was gorgeous out today, 78° with little to no wind. Happy Easter everyone.

Wanted to join the club. I have only been getting out 5-6 times a year the last couple years but plan on playing much more. I'm consistently in the mid to high 80's, I shot 80 once and have a few 81's over the last couple years.

This is year I am concentrating on making smart decisions and my short game. My putting has improved a ton but I need to do better getting up and down. I look forward to the accountability aspect of this message board.

FINALLY DID IT!

A 79 this morning with 3 birdies (another first for me)!

I've had one full round since my last post. I followed up my record-breaking 79 with a .... 97!

:banghead::angry::at-wits-end:

Stupid game.
:golf3:

Back