perkis

Reaction score
Handicap
Have been having an issue with shanking wedges on any pitch over 15 yards and also on 1/2 and full swings. Been more of an issue with the 54 & 58 than with the 50. Have a tendency to take it too far to the inside on my backswing at times. Happens off of fairway and in the rough. No real shanking issues with any irons, just wedges.

I feel like I am bring the club down straight on my swing, yet am clueless as to why the recent shanks. Setup, grip, and posture hasn't change any to my knowledge.

any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Have been having an issue with shanking wedges on any pitch over 15 yards and also on 1/2 and full swings. Been more of an issue with the 54 & 58 than with the 50. Have a tendency to take it too far to the inside on my backswing at times. Happens off of fairway and in the rough. No real shanking issues with any irons, just wedges.

I feel like I am bring the club down straight on my swing, yet am clueless as to why the recent shanks. Setup, grip, and posture hasn't change any to my knowledge.

any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Do you think you could post some video? Freddy Kong would be a great asset in helping, but he is probably going to need some footage to work with.

Will post up some video the next time I get out.

Everytime I get the shanks its always from being too inside out with my swing. Its generally caused when I don't finish my swing.

I don't take a full swing with my wedges, but I do shank the occasional one. I know it sounds weird, but when I start doing this, I start setting up with the head of the wedge set up so the ball is lined up with the hosel. It seems to make me subconsciously bring it back in. Good luck!

The only time a shank can happen is if the club at impact is farther away from you than when you started (which means it hits the hozzle). Maybe you just stand to close on those pitches and in your normal swing you don't? Try fiddling with how far away from the ball you are. It could be as simple as that.

When this happens to me 9 times out of 10 it's from me standing to close to the ball. I have a bad habit of getting to close on wedge shots.

Make sure your hands lead the club through the shot. Sometimes the inside take away combined with early release will lead to the old hosel rocket.

The only time a shank can happen is if the club at impact is farther away from you than when you started (which means it hits the hozzle).

Untrue. If you are coming from the inside or outside at too much of an angle, this will also highly increase the chances of a shank.

I just overcame a battle with the shanks. I was standing too close to the ball and coming way too much from the inside.

Back