With new people, or people I don't play with a lot, I always take my cap off and shake hands. If I golf a lot with someone, there is usually no handshake. Not sure why, I think I will change that.

Hat/shades off, firm handshake , kind words for strangers.. For friends also bro hugs sloppy kiss and maybe even a little light petting.?

Always hat off and a handshake, even if it's someone I've never met or played with before.

I don't think I ever played a round in over 20 years where a handshake by all didn't take place.

The hat thing is another story. Firstly wearing a hat in golf is the only time in my life I ever wear one. I use to wear a visor for golf but the thinning hair last two seasons has caused me to switch to a hat. I don't like to wear them, don't like when people wear them in restaurants and in peoples homes and at the dinner table even if its at a bbq. But that's just me. However, even though I don't like those things and don't ever wear a hat I usually forget its on my head and unintentionally shake hands with it on. I usually remember at some point on the way home that I am still even wearing it.

I am somewhat of a germaphobe. The things a lot of people do and the habits they have ar pretty horrible in my opinion but I do shake hands. I played with a guy in a 4some once that spit on his hands before every grip of the club before every shot. A really nice guy but heck, it was just disgusting imo. I did not want to shake his hand.

I try to always shake my opponents or playing partners hand. I have noticed lately that as I am taking off my hat to shake, people are already doing it as well, which others are thinking about it more. This restores just a little more faith in the human race for me....

JM

Oh in general, I hate shaking people's hands, I think it's disgusting. Of all the things people do and always watching people just flush and walk out of bathrooms. It's the one thing I hate....

But... I always shake hands after a round because I was taught better than that. I just run straight to the restroom afterwards to wash up.

Hat off. Handshake if I'm playing with people I don't know. With friends, it's usually a fist bump. Not too worried about germs at the end of the round.

I always shake hands after a round and always take off my hat and shades. To me, its just respectful to do so.

Handshake.... Hat off.... Sunglasses off... = Classy

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

Hats off shades off

Hats off and hands out. A little heavy petting may be involved. :alien:

Always end the round with a handshake, have just started doing the remove the hat thing as no one really does it around here.

Always a handshake, but never take the hat off. My hat hair will scare a buzzard off a gut wagon.

I usually take off the hat and sunglasses for my post-round handshake/fist bump/bro hug.

ALWAYS a firm handshake. A bro hug for my good friends - especially after they have a great round. Seldom wear a hat, but I know me, and even if I did, I would forget it was on and not take it off lol! To be honest, the guys I play with, most of them wear hats, but I can't remember them taking them off after the last hole for the handshake. Kind of funny as I'm a lot old school, but the hat thing has never bothered me?

Handshake with hat off..... i also never run my hands through my sweaty hair before!

Hat/shades off and a wipe on the pants if it's hot out so no sweaty palms.

9 out of 10 times, hat/shades off with a hand shake.

Most of the time I'm a twilight single. When I play with someone else handshakes just happen.

I just give a handshake, compliment them on their game and tell them it was good to meet them. Never thought about taking the hat off or anything.

Post round handshakes, where do you stand?

I prefer to take my hat/shades off and thank my playing partners with a good handshake or low five or fist bump and a smile/laugh.

Sidebar: I see these guys brush their hands through their hair, often times sweaty hair before the handshake -- Are you conscious about that? I think it's gross haha!

We shake hands as we walk off the green, or after we have cleared it if the group behind us is ready to play. Nobody I ever played with takes off their hat or shades. That's something that's come into vogue in the last few years from watching the pros, but really has nothing to do with proper etiquette.

Historically there has been no indication that shaking hands and removing ones hat had any relationship to each other. It has long been considered proper to remove ones hat when entering a house or restaurant, but how many of you who doff for a handshake still leave the hat on while having that burger in the course restaurant?

Pro move is to take the hat off and shake hands/fist bump/bro hug.

Since I'm not a pro, I don't worry about it. The pros didn't do it either until fairly recently. I have no idea how or why it became "proper" to take off ones hat shaking hands, but it certainly wasn't part of any form of etiquette when I was growing up.

I'd much rather that a player was considerate and aware of rules and etiquette while on the course, and what he does with his hat after the round is irrelevant.

Last edited:
Handshakes and fist bumps. Putting your dirty hand through your hair after a round doesn't appeal to me lol.

I take my hat off most of the time, but I'm really not sure why. I do make sure to shake everyones hand after the round.

The Handshake

We shake hands as we walk off the green, or after we have cleared it if the group behind us is ready to play. Nobody I ever played with takes off their hat or shades. That's something that's come into vogue in the last few years from watching the pros, but really has nothing to do with proper etiquette.

Historically there has been no indication that shaking hands and removing ones hat had any relationship to each other. It has long been considered proper to remove ones hat when entering a house or restaurant, but how many of you who doff for a handshake still leave the hat on while having that burger in the course restaurant?

Since I'm not a pro, I don't worry about it. The pros didn't do it either until fairly recently. I have no idea how or why it became "proper" to take off ones hat shaking hands, but it certainly wasn't part of any form of etiquette when I was growing up.

I'd much rather that a player was considerate and aware of rules and etiquette while on the course, and what he does with his hat after the round is irrelevant.

Spot on ;) (I didn't take my hat off whilst writing that).

Back