Tap ins'...give em', take em'...tap em'?

speaking only for non competitive golf or causal rounds does not mean its any less important to someone else and that sometimes leads to people who do play competitively who think they can make decisions for others because its casual which is wrong. But generally speaking I have no issue with gimmies. But if its for bird I always putt them. I find most people accept the gimmy and so do I and it does help pace a lot. I hate when people have to mark the ball again, wait for the others to putt, get down and look again, set the ball again, look again etc, etc. Imo its one of the biggest reasons for slowing pace. in fact it can be downright annoying at times. On the greens can be the biggest of slow play causes. And its many times where the better players will never admit is what makes them slow but those same players are the same ones who blame the lessor ability players for slow play.

We do the "Illegal" backhand tap in.

I always feel the need to finish up my putts. I am not a good enough putter to be given some of the putts people are nice enough to give me, so I feel like I'm cheating when I pick up a given putt. Who knows, maybe I'd have missed it.
I also agree that it's nice to tap it in after a nice chip/lag. It's fulfilling to hear the ball hit the hole.

I don't mind the "that's good" rule but personally I like to tap it in when it's a par or birdie putt. Even though it's 6" from the hole, I still want to finish my par or birdie.

me too.

i can play either way. i do not like when people start lining up 1-2' footers like they are 6' plus, just adds to the time it takes to play a round. if someone has 12 putts inside of 2' and they take 2 minutes for each, that is 24 minutes on a round that does not have to be there!

I have to putt it out. I have a lot of friends that will give 3-4 foot putts, but I reply, "you gotta drop 'em."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see no problem with gimmes when playing with friends. If it's inside the putter grip, it is fine by me. They can putt it if they want to, and if they miss... meh... i'll still let them have it.

That said... if we are playing for money, or it's a tournament.... I guess the rest goes without saying

This is a bug a boo with me. We play a game on Saturdays with 32 guys. Teams consist of an a/b/c/d player no handicap 3 best ball. Players ratings are based on last 8 Saturday score average. Teams are picked by blind draw.

We have some players who pick up long putts for a gimme when they are out of the hole or 3 others are already in for par or better. Some even ask others closer to hole to putt first so that they can take their putt.

I hate being paired with these people cause they stink and don't hold up their end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless I'm really pressed for time, I always finish my putts. Same goes for my playing partners, we are no pros and need as much practice as possible.

I don't mind the gimme's, just don't touch my ball. Let me pick it up myself or just putt it out.

Just like many have said I confirm the person will take the gimmie before hitting it back to them. But coming from the other side, I'll reject the gimmie if I'm slumping horribly that day. Hearing the ball hit the bottom of the cup is an instant morale booster.

I go from tee to hole. No gimmies. If someone else wants to do that, I have no problem. But I want to work on everything on the course, including those gimmies.

I will give people 2 footers to speed up play as I try to keep all my rounds under 4 hours. I will take a 2 footer but never anything over 2 feet unless it's for a triple or more. My regular playing buddies will all take whatever I will give so I will flip them their ball without asking. With strangers I wait to get the ok before throwing it to them.

I'm the worse golfer in my group so depending on how busy the course is will decide if I tap in or not. If it's busy, I pick up but only from within about a foot or so to keep the pace up. If it's not busy, I'll play it out. I don't really care what others do.

If "it's good" for Par or better, you bet your ass I'm going to tap that in all day long and twice on Sundays. As with the OP, it's usually the result of a good shot which for me can be few and far between.

If it's for anything worse, I'll gladly pick it up and move on. If there isn't a group pushing me, sometimes I'll take the gimme but putt it anyway. I'll take the on course putting practice just as often as I would hit 2-3 balls from the fairway into the green.

Alone I try to putt everything out unless it's inside 6 inches. If I'm playing with someone I take what they give

Doesn't really matter either way to me. I've heard the ball go in the cup numerous times before, so it's not something I need to hear to gain satisfaction from a well hit approach/chip/pitch/etc.

Alone I try to putt everything out unless it's inside 6 inches. If I'm playing with someone I take what they give
I've never thought about that before, I always putt in when playing by myself, I guess I've just always done it subconsciously without thinking!

My group generally gives anything inside the leather.
However, since being selected for the MC I have been putting everything out.

My group generally gives anything inside the leather.
However, since being selected for the MC I have been putting everything out.

Completely agree! Even if it's conceded I'll put it out for practice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I like to still tap it in, although I'm not one to usually give any putts unless I've won or lost the hole already. Those small putts can still be missed.

It's good for speeding up play. I usually only do it for less than a foot.

As a relative newby to the game (40 handicap right now but getting better all the time), I like the practice and satisfaction of putting it out but will pick up if things are getting out of hand. I don't think I'm as good as some of the gimmes I've been offered, so I agree that it feels a bit like cheating to take it. Nothing will get under my skin more than someone assuming it's okay to hit or throw my ball to me. Please let me decide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like to tap them in anyways. Just seems the right thing to do.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

Back