Need help with shaft repair

Joshsmit56001

Reaction score
Handicap
I came home today after hitting the driving range and noticed the shaft was being pulled from the sleeve of my SLDR. I have never done shaft repair before and know nothing about it. Could someone please point me in the right direction? I need exact epoxy and instructions on how to clean shaft/sleeve and do this correctly. I have changed grips before so I am not afraid to DIY.
u2ureduj.jpg

5a5e8e3a.jpg

A wire cleaning brush can get the epoxy out of the adapter, lightly sand the rough area of the shaft with fine grit sand paper to get the old epoxy off. I like to wipe with acetone or alcohol hen, to make sure the dust is gone too. Get a tube of shafting epoxy from a local shop and mix it with a popsicle stick or toothpick. I will then lightly coat the inside of the adapter and then get a small bead on the shaft and insert the shaft into the adapter, spinning it as I go. Then tap the grip end on the floor while applying pressure to the head. Wipe the excess and you are ready to go, let it sit until it dries. With the adapters, I like to have it attached to the head in the setting I use so that I can align the graphics/grip how I want them.

SLDR should still be under warranty. Why not send it in to TaylorMade and get it done by the manufacturer?

A wire cleaning brush can get the epoxy out of the adapter, lightly sand the rough area of the shaft with fine grit sand paper to get the old epoxy off. I like to wipe with acetone or alcohol hen, to make sure the dust is gone too. Get a tube of shafting epoxy from a local shop and mix it with a popsicle stick or toothpick. I will then lightly coat the inside of the adapter and then get a small bead on the shaft and insert the shaft into the adapter, spinning it as I go. Then tap the grip end on the floor while applying pressure to the head. Wipe the excess and you are ready to go, let it sit until it dries. With the adapters, I like to have it attached to the head in the setting I use so that I can align the graphics/grip how I want them.

Is there an epoxy I can get from somewhere like home depot? I am about an hour away from the closest golf shop. Also some of the videos I have watched talked about adding glass beads or something to the epoxy. Is that something that I would really need to do or would straight epoxy be just fine?

I would honestly bite the bullet and send it away to TM if it is under warranty.

Reach out to them, who knows, they might send you a replacement.

i use GolfWorks shafting epoxy and clean out hosels and adapters with either a steel brush or sandpaper before applying.

That said, I agree with a few already -- You should reach out to TaylorMade or the location you purchased for warranty options first.

i use GolfWorks shafting epoxy and clean out hosels and adapters with either a steel brush or sandpaper before applying.

That said, I agree with a few already -- You should reach out to TaylorMade or the location you purchased for warranty options first.

It was purchased from Nevada Bob's and they did the shafting. Not sure if it would be under a warranty from Taylormade then. I guess I could try that before reshafting it myself.

I contacted Taylormade and they will be sending me out a new shaft. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Back