5/3/14 San Diego Golf Suggestion

Vegan702

Reaction score
Handicap
Exploding
I will be in La Jolla on 5/3 and 5/4 and need a suggestion for a course close to UCSD. I called up Torrey but can't book anything this late and they suggested to sign up in the morning, but I won't be in town until the afternoon, so can't do that. Looking to tee off Saturday 5/3 around 1-2pm within 30 minutes or so of UCSD. Any suggestions?

Aviara in Carlsbad
La Costa (2 courses) in Carlsbad

Both within 30 minutes of LaJolla.

I'll check out La Costa, Aviara shows aerification for that weekend.

I played La Costa Legends last week and I really enjoyed it. The greens are still very firm (Newly renovated) but roll very true. The course is full of color, much prettier than Torrey IMO. Gorgeous course. And if you do the twilight rate, so worth the money. Hoping to put a review up for THP soon

If you're a single I am pretty sure you can walk on at Torrey without issue.

I would give torry a call when you get into town and see if that have any openings

If you're a single I am pretty sure you can walk on at Torrey without issue.

I second this. A buddy and I went to Torrey on a Friday afternoon and got sent out within 30 minutes and played the South. We got confident and went out again on Sunday morning and within 30 minutes again, we were out on the North.

I would be looking to go to Torrey as well.

After talking with them on the phone, they said to show up and I should be able to get out as a single. Think I will chance it and not make a tee time anywhere else and hope to get out on the south course. Maybe it will be questionable weather and keep some people away :). Can you walk Torrey, is it recommended?

After talking with them on the phone, they said to show up and I should be able to get out as a single. Think I will chance it and not make a tee time anywhere else and hope to get out on the south course. Maybe it will be questionable weather and keep some people away :). Can you walk Torrey, is it recommended?

It's walkable. Not flat by any means, but definitely walkable. There were 75/25 riders to walkers when I was there. I'd say North is harder to walk. I rode both days I was there. If you do ride, keep your cart out of the rough. They were very particular about carts in the rough. They like it lush and untrampled.

Was able to play the South course on Saturday. As mentioned they didn't want you driving through the rough and to stay in the fairways, something about the drought conditions they are going through. Overall a nice course, probably the nicest muni course I have played. I found the greens fee to be a little excessive for the quality of the course, but the views made up for some of it. Cart fee is ridiculous there, $40 for the cart. I rode as a single, so not sure if it would have been $20 if someone else was with me, but that is the highest I have ever paid for a cart fee. If I hadn't just drove 5hrs to get there I would have walked the course, but wasn't feeling it. It's amazing how different the course looks in person after watching it on TV. On TV the lake in front of 18 looks bigger, when it's actually fairly small. I was a victim of the bank, tried to get there in 2 and carried the water but hit the bank and rolled back in. Some other things that were interesting were the locations of the tee boxes for the pros on the par 5s. The 2 par 5s on the back the pro tee boxes must be 150+yds beyond the black boxes, makes for interesting tee shots.

Was able to play the South course on Saturday. As mentioned they didn't want you driving through the rough and to stay in the fairways, something about the drought conditions they are going through. Overall a nice course, probably the nicest muni course I have played. I found the greens fee to be a little excessive for the quality of the course, but the views made up for some of it. Cart fee is ridiculous there, $40 for the cart. I rode as a single, so not sure if it would have been $20 if someone else was with me, but that is the highest I have ever paid for a cart fee. If I hadn't just drove 5hrs to get there I would have walked the course, but wasn't feeling it. It's amazing how different the course looks in person after watching it on TV. On TV the lake in front of 18 looks bigger, when it's actually fairly small. I was a victim of the bank, tried to get there in 2 and carried the water but hit the bank and rolled back in. Some other things that were interesting were the locations of the tee boxes for the pros on the par 5s. The 2 par 5s on the back the pro tee boxes must be 150+yds beyond the black boxes, makes for interesting tee shots.

Glad you got to get out and experience Torrey on a great day. Man it was hot that day. Also to cover the lake and reach land on 18th is quite the poke off the tee and from the fairway. Hope you enjoyed the round.

I agree with you. When I go out there, I prefer Aviara to Torrey, but its worth playing once since you had not been out there.

I agree with you. When I go out there, I prefer Aviara to Torrey, but its worth playing once since you had not been out there.
Yup, only reason I did it. As a city resident though, whole nuther story, I would be out there every weekend at their rate.

As a side note, I was paired up with a band member from Shinedown. I am not familiar with them, but playing with him and his stage manager made it enjoyable listening to their stories from courses they play on all their stops touring.

Back