Big Bertha Alpha Driver Review

Round Two of shaft testing.

34y5pvk.jpg

Let you know if you need another person to help with testing.

For science....

I was was looking at those on Callaway's website last night. Everything is in play next month at Annika's place. But, the numbers won't lie. In fact, if the numbers say that BB is the better option for me, that's the one I put into play. We'll see.

I was was looking at those on Callaway's website last night. Everything is in play next month at Annika's place. But, the numbers won't lie. In fact, if the numbers say that BB is the better option for me, that's the one I put into play. We'll see.

Really looking forward to hearing about all of the different combinations you get to try

If you get say an AD-DI 6x played at 45" and later decide you want to stick with the Tour Green, I can give the AD-DI a good home.

War Eagle from my iPad

6 days til I get this in my hands in Orlando. Been keeping up with this thread and to say I'm excited is an understatement! Keep bringing it fellas!

Took mine out on the course for the first time for 9 holes. Ball flight on this is just fantastic. Launches high and still manages to just fine in the wind. Hits the ground about 10-20yds at times by where my previous drives have gone on this course. 5/7 fairways hit, the two misses were semantics. One step off the fairway.

All is well in the world when I have this club in my hand. I've never had a driver that I've been so confident with. This just seems to be on a different level. Good swings produce great results.

Just ordered a 9 degree, stock stiff flex set-up since it showed up on my favorite used golf website. There's a reasonable chance it ends up being too much club for me, but worst case scenario it's a 30 day rental for the cost of shipping, so I figured why not. Should be here in time for my weekend rounds. Can't wait to get it on the course.

Just ordered a 9 degree, stock stiff flex set-up since it showed up on my favorite used golf website. There's a reasonable chance it ends up being too much club for me, but worst case scenario it's a 30 day rental for the cost of shipping, so I figured why not. Should be here in time for my weekend rounds. Can't wait to get it on the course.

Nice buy. I think you'll really like it. The Alpha is a remarkable driver.

Pulled this baby 4 times on my round today. Two I got under and popped up. Still got about 260 out of it and stayed in the fairway. One over drew a bit with right to left wind. One perfect. I did not put the greatest swimg on it today but results were ok. Speaks ton on forgiveness. Not as forgiving as standard Bertha but its still there. I find I need to tee it quite low for me to have best results. Not even half a ball above the crown

Well, took the plunge and got the Alpha. Hooked it up to the DI 6x in the +2*, N setting for today's round. Right from the first swing on the range to the last swing on the 18th hole, it was a match made in paradise. Got some numbers to directly compare it to Bertha, tomorrow I will get those. Hit 7 out of 11 fairways with it today and only missed 2 out of the 4 by a couple yards. For a "getting to know you" session, this was a fantastic showing.

9 degree head?

Yup, it sets up really well to me, and gravity core down. It's going to be a battle between Alpha and Bertha to see which one I will game, but just as a small sign, Alpha into the wind today was like a hot knife through butter. I'll let the numbers and several battles decide what's best for me and my game though.

Anyone hit the 9 side by side with the 10.5? Big difference?

Anyone hit the 9 side by side with the 10.5? Big difference?
I was playing the 9 at 11.5 but I couldn't get the face square which caused a lot of shots that went low and left.

Having the 10.5 set to 10 5 has given me great launch and eliminated the lefts

I'm going to have to hit the 10.5° in the store just to see what it is like. I doubt it will change my mind on my current 8° setup.

I got out on my home course that finally opened on Tuesday. First time I put the BB Alpha to work outside after purchasing a couple of weeks ago. Current setup is 10.5 Head +2 loft, Neutral, 5g weight in toe, 3g in heel. I have to say that my first experience with "Lofting Up" (I know that is a Taylormade term.) has made all the difference in the world. The ball just goes and goes. I was definitely seeing different flight and distance gains of at least 10 -15 yards. The big difference is... I get that with a baby fade rather than having to turn one over. My ego is proud to say my BB Alpha is at 12.5 degrees.

Well, took the plunge and got the Alpha. Hooked it up to the DI 6x in the +2*, N setting for today's round. Right from the first swing on the range to the last swing on the 18th hole, it was a match made in paradise. Got some numbers to directly compare it to Bertha, tomorrow I will get those. Hit 7 out of 11 fairways with it today and only missed 2 out of the 4 by a couple yards. For a "getting to know you" session, this was a fantastic showing.

That DI shaft is something fierce. I have the 6S in mine, love it. The 6x was just too low launching for me. I think my highest was 10, with the 6s it was 13-14 with the core down. Freakin LOVE that setup.

Anyone dabbling in shaft tinkering with this doing it themselves? I was looking online for shaft adapters today and Golfworks seems to have them, but they're $39.99. Is that the going rate for these? (I'm sure it is, but that seems INSANE for an adapter).

Anyone dabbling in shaft tinkering with this doing it themselves? I was looking online for shaft adapters today and Golfworks seems to have them, but they're $39.99. Is that the going rate for these? (I'm sure it is, but that seems INSANE for an adapter).

I have done a few reshafts using the same adapter, I just buy the ferrules off of eBay, you can get 4 for 8 dollars. You have to take the bottom of the adapter off and you can then pull like anything else. Just make sure that the plug at the bottom of the inside of the adapter doesn't come out, or epoxy will get into the hub for the screw.

Back