How do you choose your aftermarket shafts?

A lot homework... I've tried self-fitting twice (meaning no testing or launch monitor data). The first time I tried was purely off of the shaft selector on Golfworks.com. That didn't go very well, ended up being a waste for the shaft and install fee. The second time I spoke directly with the Arthur (Xcaliber shafts) and actually got better results. But since then I got a new driver but held onto the Xcaliber shaft. I still plan on testing it out with my new driver, but I'm pretty pleased with the oem offering.

1.Fitting on the pericular club i am reshafting/changing
2. looking at bend profile to determine if i am getting the flight i am after
3.Cost plays a small factor as well

And every once and a while it is dumb luck i try a shaft and it just works for me

Always figured it was better to pay a fitter to get specs on just the shaft that will best help my game than it is to try to wander too far into the weeds of trying to self-match shafts. Too expensive, I think.

I chose my aftermarket shaft by doing a ton of reading of the reviews on THP, and then also doing a lot of research online. I then demo'd the shaft on the driver I was using to see how it performed for me and I knew instantly that I wanted it. Then I took it to have it put on my new driver after 4 rounds and the clubfitter ruined it. Gotta love a couple hundred bucks going down the drain

Research. Hitting lots of shafts in different heads. Research. Lots of reading. Research. User reviews from anywhere I can find them. Research.

I implement the WWTU (What Would Tiger Use) theory when selecting, haha just kidding.

In all seriousness though, I usually just go by feel and on course performance (desired ball flight, dispersion, etc.).

I implement the WWTU (What Would Tiger Use) theory when selecting, haha just kidding.

In all seriousness though, I usually just go by feel and on course performance (desired ball flight, dispersion, etc.).

I think that is what some people do lots of Tour AD DI out there

I put my faith entirely in the fitter and went with what he recommended.

I look at what I want out of a shaft then try and find feed back on it. I do it more of a curiosity than anything and I have only done it with my driver.

I had a fitting earlier this year, so I pretty much rely on the opinion of my fitter. Every now and then I would take the MFP code and look at shafts that have the similar mpf code and compare specs. I don't have the financial resources to buy shafts just to test, feel, and sell if I don't like.

I buy shafts based off of reviews on THP! I try and diagnose what I would like to see in my ball flight vs what I am currently getting and based on reviews here I find a shaft that will help. I have never been fit professionally but probably should be.

I go based off of fitting, and then experimentation based off of the profile I was fitted for. I'm lucky enough to work in the golf business so I can test shafts on the range and course before making my final decision

since I don't know much about shafts flex points and torque etc, I trust my fitter and what the numbers say then verify it with outdoor ball flight.

The only exception to that has been my testing of recoil and steel fiber shafts neither of us know much about them but I wanted to try them bought one of each and took an educated guess at which one would fit. So far its looking good.

Pretty simple...I ask you. Wanted also to take this opportunity to say "Thank You" for helping me pick a new shaft in Dallas. Turns out you were right (is it really a question anymore) and find myself grinning as I look up from the tee box. Most of the time anyway, again...Thanks Panda

Back