Rusty shafts: should I be worried?

Floor-is

Reaction score
Handicap
I use quite old clubs, about 15 years of age now. They're still awesome and the shafts are still very close to the CPM's when I bought them. But there's corrosion forming and I don't know how worried I should be.

Any of you guys have more then an opinion? Thanks!

2a9ugata.jpg
dugyqeru.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it's going to cause any issues other than looking bad. Not at that level at least. You might get some 0000 steel wool and see if you can just brush it off.

It's not deep yet, just superficial. It seems the chrome is oxidizing a bit. I don't have the funds to get myself a new set of clubs so I was hoping that it wouldn't be a preview of something worse.

I wouldn't be worried at all.

When I see shaft rust, it is typically a sign that the clubs are outside. I'd be more worried about the grips.

Use some tinfoil to remove the rust. I had some old Ping shafts that looked worse than that and it really works well. I think I saw this tip on THP. Just crumple a piece of tinfoil up and use water as a lubricant. Rub the tinfoil on the shaft up and down. The tinfoil and water neutralize the rust and create a polish substance which shines up the shaft. Believe it or not, this simple method works very well. I was amazed at how they shined like new afterwards.

"clean" them with some soda. Either coke or just plain soda water. Then dry them and get the residue off. This is "normal" wear and tear on steel shafts. Nothing to worry about.

Thanks for all the replies, I won't worry then :)

ryebread: don't worry about the grips, they're quite new :)

I think the tinfoil would work just like steelwool by the way.

Rubbing the shafts with a little bit of WD-40 now and again may slow down the rust process.

Looks like surface rust nothing to worry about clean them and keep you eye out for more

Back