US Open on 18 hole course?

Snedekerrr

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
I was hoping to use the expertise of the THP community to answer a question a friend asked today at lunch, I tried to google it but could not confirm the answer.

He he mentioned that Chambers Bay would be holding the US Open next year so we should go play it now. He also said that he was surprised they got the US Open because they only have 18 holes and usually the Open is played on a 36 hole course, then they just use 18 on the weekend.

I could not deny that this would make sense but I only remember the 18 holes from Merion last year, that was the first time I've paid any attention as I've only recently become obsessed with golf. I googled it and Merion does have 36 but the other course is super short at 5,500 yds. There is no way they could have a US Open there right?

So am I correct in saying that they use just 18 holes? If so did they use 36 holes in the past?

Thanks for reading!

Can't remember in my lifetime them every using a 36 hole course.

Only time I know they use multiple 18s for anything is during pro-ams

I can only remember a US Open being played on an 18 hole course. there might be other courses at the complex, but it is always on the same 18 for four rounds.

I think Hazeltine National is a facility that only has 18 holes. They hosted last in 1991, though.

Thanks for the quick replies, I believe this debate has been settled.

I think the key thing these days is having space for all of the extra infrastructure that comes with hosting the Open. Media, hospitality, parking. It's a huge event that needs a lot of space.

The US Open has on occasion used a composite course of 18 holes at a 36 hole facility, but from a competition perspective, they do not play multiple courses (like they do at the Farmers Insurance Open for example where guys play 18 at Torrey North and 18 at Torrey South in some order the first two days).

The US Open has on occasion used a composite course of 18 holes at a 36 hole facility, but from a competition perspective, they do not play multiple courses (like they do at the Farmers Insurance Open for example where guys play 18 at Torrey North and 18 at Torrey South in some order the first two days).

This is what I was thinking of. When the US Open was at Torrey Pines, they only used one course.

This is what I was thinking of. When the US Open was at Torrey Pines, they only used one course.

I don't remember where I read it, but Mike Davis was saying something about possibly using both courses after the North course is renovated. At least he said it wasn't totally out of the realm of possibility.

I think the key thing these days is having space for all of the extra infrastructure that comes with hosting the Open. Media, hospitality, parking. It's a huge event that needs a lot of space.

That's a good point, which makes it all the more amazing that they were able to pull it off at Merion last year.

I don't remember where I read it, but Mike Davis was saying something about possibly using both courses after the North course is renovated. At least he said it wasn't totally out of the realm of possibility.

Oh interesting.

The East course at Merion hosted every hole of the US Open last year.

I can only remember the US open being played on one 18 i could only imagine the amount of time it would take to get two course ready for a US Open

US Open on 18 hole course?

Pebble Beach is 18 holes. I'm pretty sure there is no other course on site to be used for infrastructure like the others.

Edit: never mind I just read that Spy Glass and Links at Spanish Bay are part of Pebble Beach Resorts. I still don't know how close they are to Pebble though.

Last edited:
Re: Chambers Bay. Be forewarned that the USGA will likely close the course for two months prior. Although the course is a beast, the greens aren't up to snuff. (I don't know if this is the reason but I imagine the USGA will do significant work on them.). Frankly, the greens are pretty bad when compared to how amazing the rest of the course is.

Which is why Chambers Bay is an odd choice. I know they're working on it but there's hefty concern that the area won't be able to handle the event.

Re: Chambers Bay. Be forewarned that the USGA will likely close the course for two months prior. Although the course is a beast, the greens aren't up to snuff. (I don't know if this is the reason but I imagine the USGA will do significant work on them.). Frankly, the greens are pretty bad when compared to how amazing the rest of the course is.

I was planning on taking a trip this summer so I should be good but that is disappointing to hear the greens are not on the same level as the rest of the course. The greens are so important, that's where the scoring happens.

For Merion last year they had a couple of the west course holes prepared just in case a hole wasn't playable on the east course. We had very heavy rains last year and a couple holes were under water just weeks leading up to the open.

I was was also told that members at Merion could play up to the week before the open but they had to use driving range mats when hitting out of the fairways or chipping around the greens.

2017 erin hills. Only 18 and not another US Open quality site for 50 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea where they are going to fit everything they need to fit at Chambers Bay. There's space there, but I don't think any of it is flat haha.

I have no idea where they are going to fit everything they need to fit at Chambers Bay. There's space there, but I don't think any of it is flat haha.

Kind of hrs same issue at Whistling Straits for the PGA but they made that work.

Will be interesting to see the US Open there.

Can anyone remember if there was any issue when they held the US Amateur at Chambers Bay?

The East course at Merion hosted every hole of the US Open last year.

True- BUT they had several holes ready on the other course in case of flooding. Several on the East course are vulnerable, so they prepped (I think) 3 holes to replace the ones most likely to be damaged. there would have been shuttles to and fro in such a situation.

True- BUT they had several holes ready on the other course in case of flooding. Several on the East course are vulnerable, so they prepped (I think) 3 holes to replace the ones most likely to be damaged. there would have been shuttles to and fro in such a situation.

I hadn't heard that, though I know they used a few holes on the west course, over a mile away, for the driving range, due to limited space at Merion. Players had to take shuttles to a house someone on the course, then take another shuttle from there to the first tee.

Didn't the Open at Olympic use a combo of both courses there? I want to say that couple of the holes for the 18 used a different course in their grouping. But I could be mistaken...

Back