Matrix 7M3 Black Tie vs Nunchuk in driver

96p993

Reaction score
Handicap
I currently play a Nunchuk in both my driver and fairway wood...I am building a new driver with a 9.5 ZL Encore head, I have a chance to get a Matrix 7M3 for cheap. Im wondering if anyone has hit both, is the Matrix a lower launch shaft than the Nunchuk? Thoughts on the feel (subjective)? Any info would be great...

Thanks

In my opinion the black tie will be a bit lower launching than that of the Nunchuk. Im the wrong person to ask about the feel, because I did not like the feel (or lack there of) of the Nunchuk, but some seem to.

The head you are putting them in, or debating on is a higher launching head.

The ZL I am hoping is the perfect head for both of these shafts being a higher launch head. I have been happy with the "feel" of the Nunchuk but havent used another shaft in quite sometime so I am probably a bit numb in the feel category. Everytime I hit another driver it feels like a wet noodle, mainly because of the weight. Most shafts are just too light for me in the feel category...

I have a 6m3 in my xhot and love it. I know it's not the 7 but they play pretty close to each other. I loved the thing so much I got a 7m3 for my 3 wood and it is a beeeeaaaaast of a shaft. You do have to really go after the ball though with the black ties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all, Im hoping this combo will serve me well. I will have the club ready to go tomorrow...Hoping to do a side by side with not only the shafts but the Amp Cell and the Encore

I remember being really excited when I got a nunchuk shaft a couple of years ago. That wore off after about 2 weeks. Thing was just super heavy. I didn't really buy in to the entire 1 shaft for all thing they were marketing it as either, as I did some informal testing with people of different swing speeds. However I bet if you have a higher SS and can tolerate the weight of it, you will be fine. In my limited rounds with the black tie you are talking about, it helped me a bit because it launches low and spins little so I think it masks some of my swing faults. So of the two, for me and my crappy swing, I'd take the Black Tie.

Looking forward to your testing with them. Make sure you come back and share some results and thoughts with us.

I remember being really excited when I got a nunchuk shaft a couple of years ago. That wore off after about 2 weeks. Thing was just super heavy. I didn't really buy in to the entire 1 shaft for all thing they were marketing it as either, as I did some informal testing with people of different swing speeds. However I bet if you have a higher SS and can tolerate the weight of it, you will be fine. In my limited rounds with the black tie you are talking about, it helped me a bit because it launches low and spins little so I think it masks some of my swing faults. So of the two, for me and my crappy swing, I'd take the Black Tie.

Looking forward to your testing with them. Make sure you come back and share some results and thoughts with us.

I have enjoyed the Nunchuk...the additional weight has never bothered me. I am under the impression shaft are getting much too light, the OEM's are simply looking for higher swing speeds due to longer and lighter shafts but at what sacrifice? Im hoping the Black Tie is a happy median and will stay in the bag, and yes quite possibly mask some of my swing flaws. Im also interested to see what a true low launch shaft looks like, needless to say low launch is different to everyone.

I have enjoyed the Nunchuk...the additional weight has never bothered me. I am under the impression shaft are getting much too light, the OEM's are simply looking for higher swing speeds due to longer and lighter shafts but at what sacrifice? Im hoping the Black Tie is a happy median and will stay in the bag, and yes quite possibly mask some of my swing flaws. Im also interested to see what a true low launch shaft looks like, needless to say low launch is different to everyone.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts. Shaft technology has certainly come a long way. A lot of those lightweight shafts still play true to flex and not softer which is what used to be the major thought. Do they work for everyone? Nope. The good thing is there are high quality shafts that are both lightweight and heavier for people to be able to find what works best for them. For me, I prefer more middle ground 50-65 range. Having a 100+ gram driver shaft just didn't do anything for me.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts. Shaft technology has certainly come a long way. A lot of those lightweight shafts still play true to flex and not softer which is what used to be the major thought. Do they work for everyone? Nope. The good thing is there are high quality shafts that are both lightweight and heavier for people to be able to find what works best for them. For me, I prefer more middle ground 50-65 range. Having a 100+ gram driver shaft just didn't do anything for me.

I think that is going to be the interesting part is the Black Tie is 71 grams and the Nunchuk is 104...The 33 gram difference is going to be interesting for me and how the club feels in my hand. I also have a Brand New stock Encore with the Motore F1 in it (55 grams). It would take some time to get used to going that light, hoping the Black Tie works and will probably wind up selling the stock one. I will hit the Black Tie at stock length (45") then go from there, my happy place is 44.25-44.5. Looking forward to it!!

Then demo day on Sat for irons...Going to be a fun weekend!!

Back