Hindman Park Golf Course Little Rock, Arkansas

HighOnTheHog

Reaction score
Handicap
Hindman Park Golf Course, Little Rock, Arkansas
676440f8-c5f7-4882-ba4e-3023ad997f68_zps3e4e907a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Practice Area

This golf does include both a Driving Range and a Practice Green.
The Driving Range is large enough to utilize your complete range of golf clubs. It only has grass to hit off of which is fine by me because I do not like hitting of mats anyway. Just don’t think mats give you a true feel of hitting on the golf course. It is somewhat limited with many targets to hit at but it has enough to allow you to work on some accuracy when you warm up.
The Putting Greens is a decent size green, not overly large. It allows you to putt and chip on the same green. It does have multiple holes to putt and chip that are not just flat too, so you can work on your feel of the speed and the break of the greens. The one downside to this course is there are no sand traps to practice on but it’s not a big deal for this course because it does not have bunkers on any of the holes on the course.
Grade : C+

IMG_1350_zps765579cb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Course Conditions
The extremely cold winter has taken a toll on most of the courses in the area. The greens are not fully greened in yet. The greens just last year were changed from Bent grass to Bermuda because the course does not get a lot of wind so bent greens were very difficult to keep from losing them in the middle of the humid summers we have here in Arkansas. The fairways have been slow in growing up because of the winter and very little rain. There are still some areas that are a little muddy in the fairways.
The Tee boxes are just as the fairways. The course as a whole needs more time to get the grass growing and fill in so getting it the fairway would become very advantageous. Again as stated earlier, there are no sand traps on this course.
Grade: C
Signature Hole #8: 183 yard Par 3 White Tees (over water) Good 170 yards to carry the water.

IMG_1353_zps570b79e7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Layout
The nice thing about the layout of this course, is that it is a very tight course. There is very little forgiveness for errant shots to the left or right of the fairways. With the conditions as they are now, the lies are very thing so it can make it difficult to pick the ball cleanly. The tightness of the course allows a play to learn to be able to shape your shot around many holes that dogleg Left and right through the 18 holes. It does not offer Senior tees, only Blue, White and Red tee options.

The attached image is a prime example of how many holes turn either left or right on the course. The image is of Hole 12. A 396 yard Par 4 but today with the White tees a little forward it was 334 yards. The Hole itself is elevated with a hill sloping down to a creek that runs in front of the green.
Grade: B

Hole #12 from the Tee Box.

IMG_1355_zps8b3de24c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Pace of Play
You normally don’t see a Marshall during your round. That can be difficult when you get groups that don’t recognize the group behind is either faster or less players than they are in their group. Other than that issue which is not always much of a problem the round went rather smoothly. I was able as a single to easily play 18 holes in just over 3 hours. (Although I did skip to holes because of 2 foursomes in front me that were extremely slow.
Grade: B

Price
Weekend prices are fairly decent for the conditions. $25 (with cart) for a Saturday tee time. Walking would be about $15 per person but with some elevations changes, walking can get a person a good bit of exercise. At this point in the season it fairly easy to get a walk in tee time. As the course continues to improve during the summer, the tee time will become a little more difficult to get just by walking in.
Grade: A

Amenities
The club house did have a small locker room but did have room to change if needed. The locker rooms were fairly clean that would not make you feel uncomfortable. Unfortunately, you have to get your drinks from the clubhouse when you start or on the turn. There is no drink cart that comes around during the day. No drink machines on the course as well. Restrooms were available to the right of the fairway of the 13[SUP]th[/SUP] fairway. Other than that, you have to go to the club house to use the restroom. They do have a very limited list of food for sale. They have hot dogs for sale and when the activity goes up the grill is open to make hamburgers.

Overall
I have played this course in the past and I do like that the greens were changes last year. I love the challenge of the course layout itself. I would recommend this course for a player really wanting to work multiple parts of their game. It has its flaws but it is a very likeable course.
Final Grade: B-

Attachments

• IMG_1358.jpg
    IMG_1358.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1355.jpg
    IMG_1355.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1353.jpg
    IMG_1353.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1350.jpg
    IMG_1350.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Great writeup looks like it could be a fun course and I love no sand lol. Hopefully it recovers from the rough winter.

Seems like a great value at those prices even with those conditions. Hopefully better weather will get the grass growing well on the fairways.

Great writeup looks like it could be a fun course and I love no sand lol. Hopefully it recovers from the rough winter.

Thanks I just updated it with the pics where I intended them to be.

Nice write up. I just took a break out of writing two myself. No sand, where does that leave any fun?

Nice write up. I just took a break out of writing two myself. No sand, where does that leave any fun?
Thanks. This was my first attempt at it. I will probably have another one from the course I am playing tomorrow afternoon.

The fun is that the course is very tight and there are shots over water all over the course.

The fun is that the course is very tight and there are shots over water all over the course.

In a way no sand is good, as my ball seems to be a magnet to sand. Wouldn't know what to do, however I feel that water would attract my golf balls.

In a way no sand is good, as my ball seems to be a magnet to sand. Wouldn't know what to do, however I feel that water would attract my golf balls.

Well, it has some but for the most I think you would survive. No for your balls that would be a different story.

Seems like a great value at those prices even with those conditions. Hopefully better weather will get the grass growing well on the fairways.

Yeah it is a very good value. I will play it from time to time so the greens and fairways have time to green up a little bit more. We need some more rain to help that out.

Nice write up, well done! The course looks like a fun tract.

Hindman is a fun course and because of all the shade, one of my favorite central Arkansas courses once hot weather arrives.

Hindman is a fun course and because of all the shade, one of my favorite central Arkansas courses once hot weather arrives.

Its better to play now that they changes the greens out last year.

Its better to play now that they changes the greens out last year.

I may have to check it out if I get free for a round in the LR area this year.
With a home construction about to be in the works, I don't know if I'll be able to swing that or not.

I've played a lot of courses up in the Hot Springs Village area, and those were mostly great. I never played this one though.

Good write up!

I've played a lot of courses up in the Hot Springs Village area, and those were mostly great. I never played this one though.

Good write up!

I have a golf membership to the village and pretty much all the courses are nice to play.

Good write up!

Jay, was that you that I shared a few comments on some of the HSV courses with last year? I know it was mentioned what a great hole #17 at Cortez is in the discussion.

How much does it cost for members to play at the village? I know that playing 3 rounds (1 at Cortez and 2 and DeLeon) as a guest early this month was pretty expensive.

Jay, was that you that I shared a few comments on some of the HSV courses with last year? I know it was mentioned what a great hole #17 at Cortez is in the discussion.

How much does it cost for members to play at the village? I know that playing 3 rounds (1 at Cortez and 2 and DeLeon) as a guest early this month was pretty expensive.

Members pay sub $30 for a round with a cart and you can replay 18 for less than $10 on the same course the same day.

Members pay sub $30 for a round with a cart and you can replay 18 for less than $10 on the same course the same day.

That's a pretty good rate for those courses. If I lived closer, I'd probably have to look into becoming a member.

Yeah that is why I did the golf membership for a year. It is about $250 but you play at member rates which is great.

Back