Children getting started in golf

Just got my daughter a set of hello kitty clubs for her 5th birthday last month. I cant wait to get started with her :act-up:

Has anyone used the SNAG system yet? Seems like kids would love it. I have an almost 4 year old that really wants to come out with me, but it hasn't happened yet. http://www.snaggolf.com/home.html

They had the snag golf at the driving range I go to but as far as I know it didn't last long, I just checked the website and it doesn't mention it anymore.

Its a shame because I had heard good things about it.

I have both my daughters playing. 8 and 5yrs old. I got the older one some lessons first as she showed interest in learning. After the coach told us he wanted her to get with a swing coach so we did that. After 6 months i got her involved in some tournaments on little linksters. Also another program is first tee program which shows some great values and morals of the game. This program is great.

Also my daughter just won two 1st place medals last week for the first time. So proud but what i love best is that I'm her caddie and we are having fun out there and spending quality time. Just great being together at a game we can play for a very long time together. Lol.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

My daughter is almost 4, I have taken her a handful of times with me to an executive course here. She loves to ride in the cart, grab the flag out so I can putt and then when I am done she wants to putt one. She told my wife she for Christmas she wants and golf club and some Angry Bird golf balls. I think I will start with getting her a kids putter.

I started with our kids last year when they were 5 and 8.

I think it is extremely important to keep it light and not get technical (for example, I just spoke with their coach today - over a year after they started - about introducing a correct grip). Let them develop a love of the game and have fun on their terms. As an example, I really intended for my kids to learn the game on the green first then work their way out. I started with putting games with ice cream rewards. That was good for a while but shock of shocks, they much prefer banging driver on the range - asking me how far they hit it and getting excited when they go deep - over pitching, chipping and putting.

Oh yeah, one more thing: patience. You aren't going to get the work in you want to accomplish for you. They are going to get bored. They are going to be loud on the range. They are going to get frustrated. Don't get upset with them. It's all part of the process.

Last edited:
So, the boy has REALLY wanted me to buy him a driver this year, but I've been holding off. He's got a couple things he's got to do first since we earn things in our house lol. However, the First Tee facility has a bunch, so we borrowed one to use the other day and he hit the hell out of it. I'm trying to find him something that's not too long or too heavy. Took some pics of him swinging that I thought I'd share :)

CameraZOOM-20140426114942296-L.jpg

CameraZOOM-20140426114942550-L.jpg

CameraZOOM-20140426114942819-L.jpg

CameraZOOM-20140426114943281-L.jpg

CameraZOOM-20140426114943543-L.jpg

CameraZOOM-20140426114943753-L.jpg

So, the boy has REALLY wanted me to buy him a driver this year, but I've been holding off. He's got a couple things he's got to do first since we earn things in our house lol. However, the First Tee facility has a bunch, so we borrowed one to use the other day and he hit the hell out of it. I'm trying to find him something that's not too long or too heavy. Took some pics of him swinging that I thought I'd share :)

CameraZOOM-20140426114942296-L.jpg

CameraZOOM-20140426114942550-L.jpg

CameraZOOM-20140426114942819-L.jpg

CameraZOOM-20140426114943281-L.jpg

CameraZOOM-20140426114943543-L.jpg

CameraZOOM-20140426114943753-L.jpg
Awesome form with that cross handed grip!

Awesome form with that cross handed grip!

We're slowly trying to work on that. Conventional feels "weird" to him, so he doesn't like to do it. That's fine for now though.

I occasionally try to get Declan to switch to a conventional grip, but he doesn't like it either. I'm not inclined to fight him on it.

I occasionally try to get Declan to switch to a conventional grip, but he doesn't like it either. I'm not inclined to fight him on it.

Nah. Plenty of time for that and he hit the ball fine this way. Fine enough that he's happy, so that means I'm happy.

I posted a thread on that last year, one of the best players and longest hitters I've played with plays that way and there are pros as well, no harm in it if it's effective I say

I posted a thread on that last year, one of the best players and longest hitters I've played with plays that way and there are pros as well, no harm in it if it's effective I say

Cack Hand!

That's the one, held back on the phrase this time around as it threw some people last time :)

That's awesome Hawk. How old is he again, 4?

We're slowly trying to work on that. Conventional feels "weird" to him, so he doesn't like to do it. That's fine for now though.
My son does the same thing with his plastic club, I wonder what that backhand feel of the lower hand feels more natural!

My son snapped the shaft on his hybrid tonight. He was pretty upset about it, long crying match. Tomorrow before work going to see what I can pick up for him. Suprise him when I get home. This summer I plan on getting him a set, would anyone suggest a us kids golf set or a basic one? My son is 2.5

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

Back