Edel Custom Wedges - Review Thread

Just catching up here & enjoy the thoughts so far.

Those grinds look interesting indeed and look forward to how Hawk compares the playability to the other wedges out there. Having recently picked up SM5 M grind (heel relief) I'm interested in the channel type grind in these.

I agree wedges are very personal & the only hesitation for me would be the bounce.

Sharp looking wedges. Look forward to hearing about these.

Don't want to steal Hawk's thunder here, but I had a chance to do a wedge fitting at the same time as a putter fitting. Everyone's comments here are pretty spot on, especially about how their bounce is much higher than normal. They have some sort of secret sauce that I don't understand, but the wedges I was fit into were 20 degrees (20!) or so of bounce, but had a grind that allowed the leading edge to sit much lower to the ground than you would expect with that bounce. End result was a REALLY forgiving wedge, IMO. I play Scratch wedges right now, but I felt the Edel's were much easier to hit and more consistent in my short time with them.

This sounds very interesting. I really like the looks of this wedge and love hearing that there is some built in forgiveness. Would love to give these a few swings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just catching up here & enjoy the thoughts so far.

Those grinds look interesting indeed and look forward to how Hawk compares the playability to the other wedges out there. Having recently picked up SM5 M grind (heel relief) I'm interested in the channel type grind in these.

I agree wedges are very personal & the only hesitation for me would be the bounce.

I've been fortunate to really dive into to a decent variety of grinds in the last year, so I'm definitely curious.

Maybe it was the angle of the camera, but the shape on these looks pretty unique (let alone the other features!) Still, beautiful looking wedges. Face looks very, very clean. Too pretty to rust, IMO.

Nice thing is that it's a 304 Stainless Steel, which won't (shouldn't) rust and doesn't require chrome plating.

Looks interesting. Way behind here and a slight skim. Is it heavy? That thing looks thick.

Looks interesting. Way behind here and a slight skim. Is it heavy? That thing looks thick.

Not at all. If anything, maybe a bit light in the head.

Not at all. If anything, maybe a bit light in the head.

I guess it does look like that grind removed a significant amount of material.

I guess it does look like that grind removed a significant amount of material.

That one is definitely interesting. Looking at it though, it's not that far off from the 61° MD2 U-Grind that I've used this year. I'm excited to get it in a bunker.

Interesting shape. Interesting that you find it light, because its looks very heavy, chunky in its design. Not a head shape that appeals to me, but the bounce and grind tech is certainly interesting.

I'll check the scale tonight for SW. Shaft is a 110g KBS.

D3, so a tiny bit little lighter in the head than what I play.

The way the grooves lay toe side makes the look at address different.

u3eza8y9.jpg

Should be able to get these to a short game are today.

Interesting Hawk. Those grooves would probably work really well for me. I tend to hot all my wedges out on the toe, especially short shots around the green. It doesn't look quite chunky at address and the swing weight is right where I play all my irons anyways.

I'd be curious how well these work around the greens and how versatile the grind really is. I know my U-grind 58° MD2 is the most versatile wedge I have used to date.

That's the thought on the grooves for sure. Pretty common to see the impact with those shots.

Interesting. I have been trying to get more towards the middle of the face and I am seeing such a better result. But I can see the usual miss being out on the toe. I wonder if you hit it on the toe with these clubs if you don't lose much distance and spin as if you hit it in the middle of the face.

Well, an open face shot on the toe isn't so much a miss imo. Same reason the rotex pattern is designed aggressively out there.

Well, an open face shot on the toe isn't so much a miss imo. Same reason the rotex pattern is designed aggressively out there.

That's true. But I usually miss out there for every shot. Even the pitches. Out on the toe for flops is pretty normal. I should have probably been a little clearer.

Hawk have you noticed where your missed shots tend to go? Are you losing them right? I would think that groove pattern would make you want to hit on the toe, maybe causing a few more misses to the right.

I haven't really had a lot of time to make that call, but will definitely keep an eye in it.

Hawk I will be interested to hear if you have issues with the sweet spot in the middle. I know that sounds odd but I used JP wedges for a good bit a few seasons ago which these are designed off of (or it may be the other way around not sure) and had a ton of trouble initially with it. I loved the wedges once I adjusted but I had a much larger adjustment period than normal.

I know the wedges have some differences but the main common being the sweet spot in the middle.

Interesting wedges. Took a chance to use them in pretty much every possible way I typically play a wedge today.

First of all, the different way the grooves are laid out on the face was a non-issue, as was the slightly different shape the clubs have. Same with the sweetspot being more towards 'true' center.

I like to be able to control my trajectory with a wedge and that was pretty easy to do with both. Crazy enough, but the big bouncy grind (57°) was actually taking divots on 1/2 swings, but just smaller ones. Dug into the turf and just sort of glided out of it. Compared to the 58° K grind (wide sole) Vokey I've been testing, it was also less inclined to want to toss the ball up in the air. Was curious how that work out, since both are pretty bouncy clubs.

Not all that in-love with the feel. It's fine, but can think of a few I'd put above them off the top of my head. Just a little less robust than some others. Not bad, but not my personal favorite.

Chip shots were a breeze with both. Did have some concerns there, mostly with the 57°, but spin was easy to produce, as were lower running shots.

Hit bunker shots with the 57° and I'll say it was pretty damn good from the sand. Easy to just cut in and glide. Didn't hit a lot of really high/soft shots out of there with it, but plenty of spin to control the ball.

Wedges are so personal. Just from the pictures they look a bit chunky and unwieldy. At address though they don't look bad at all. Looking forward to hearing how they perform for you Hawk.
I'm not crazy about the overall chunky look myself, and interestingly enough, think the look at address is kind of nice.

They have some sort of secret sauce that I don't understand, but the wedges I was fit into were 20 degrees (20!) or so of bounce, but had a grind that allowed the leading edge to sit much lower to the ground than you would expect with that bounce. End result was a REALLY forgiving wedge,
I like the sounds of this. Seems like they are combining the best of both worlds of bounce into one grind.

Don't look the look of these at all.

Have done a ton of testing with these in the last week. Still some more to go before I wrap up the review, but enough to have a firm grasp on them.

I'll say that the 53 (I believe the grind is called DRVR) is becoming my favorite of the two. It's a nice pitching club and seems to really toss the ball up in the air with good spin when using a nice 1/2 to 3/4 swing. Actually taking some divots too. Struggling just a little on touch shots right now, but that's not just an issue with these wedges. Something I've seen with others.

The 57° (I am inclined to believe it's the DGR) grind is certainly unique. Not a grind I think I'd pick at that loft under normal circumstances, but it seems to do what it advertises. With that big bouncy sole I personally think I lose a bit of versatility b/c I like to open the face for some shots at that loft and it's not really set up for the way I do that.

Again, not in love with the feel, but not a bad feel. Just sort of middle of the road for me.

I put the 53 on a monitor to see what a little 60 yard pitch was producing with a Z-Star and was pretty impressed with the spin numbers - right in the 7,300 rpm range consistently, which is some serious stopping action. I've seen similar numbers from other wedges too in the last year, but definitely very nice to see.

Back