Trying To Break 90 Club

yep, shot an 87 for a pb. the 2 games before that were 90, 90. for those three games a had single penalties, one lost ball, hit fairways, greens, and putts, landed a 225 yard 3 wood 5 feet from the pin. i played again a couple days ago and it was AWFUL. i stopped keeping score after hole 5 and for the first time playing the game i was miserable and mad. that sucked, need to let the bad chit go, it's only a game.

Congrats. Keep staying under 90.

88 at Scotland Run in NJ today. First legit round this season (played skins and didn't keep score; then a scramble).
First time in my life I scored without hitting it well. 3 up and down scrambling from the woods pars, only one lost ball/penalty stroke.

Have new irons; and me likes'em.

I see a path to " low 80s".

Last edited:
Wow I'm new here and just seeing this thread. My goal is to break 90 this year. My personal best is a 92 and I have shot that 5 times. Numerous 93's and 94 I feel like I'm right on that edge if I could be more consistent tee to green.

My biggest problem is that I can't drive the ball. 4 or 5 iron off the tee for me. I'm extremely comfortable from 150 and in. But again I just have issues getting there from the tee. With a new set of irons and plenty of practice driving at the range I hope to break the 90 barrier.

Wow I'm new here and just seeing this thread. My goal is to break 90 this year. My personal best is a 92 and I have shot that 5 times. Numerous 93's and 94 I feel like I'm right on that edge if I could be more consistent tee to green.

My biggest problem is that I can't drive the ball. 4 or 5 iron off the tee for me. I'm extremely comfortable from 150 and in. But again I just have issues getting there from the tee. With a new set of irons and plenty of practice driving at the range I hope to break the 90 barrier.

Welcome to the club! And good luck breaking 90, youll find plenty of support here

shot a PB 42 on the back 9 at my home course today. That included a double, 6 bogeys, and 2 birdies. only the second time I've ever had back to back birdies:). Too bad I was 50 on the front for yet another disappointing 92...

shot a PB 42 on the back 9 at my home course today. That included a double, 6 bogeys, and 2 birdies. only the second time I've ever had back to back birdies:). Too bad I was 50 on the front for yet another disappointing 92...

That is still awesome dude. At some point you are going to put it all together, and you will break the 80 barrier too. A lot of positives in that round!

It's getting there.

Played my 3rd round yesterday, after getting back into the game after a 4 year layoff. 111 (52/59) the 1st week, 103 (45/58) last week with a nice front 9 and a 99 (49/50) yesterday. It's funny, because I was expecting something better yesterday because I was just killing it at the range the day before, but it wasn't there. But I'm happy to have scored what I did because I was scrambling all day.

So now, I'm here (breaking 90 thread)

Watch, my next 3 rounds will be +100. :laughing:

Shot an 80 at a par 65 course. I was driver short iron all day but was hitting irons fat. Used really good pitching to score. Also adjusted my ball placement and my putting was improved as I sunk three over 15 feet.

Played my 3rd round yesterday, after getting back into the game after a 4 year layoff. 111 (52/59) the 1st week, 103 (45/58) last week with a nice front 9 and a 99 (49/50) yesterday. It's funny, because I was expecting something better yesterday because I was just killing it at the range the day before, but it wasn't there. But I'm happy to have scored what I did because I was scrambling all day.

So now, I'm here (breaking 90 thread)

Watch, my next 3 rounds will be +100. :laughing:

My putting has been killing me with 44 putts in my last round. I use an old Callaway Tuttle putter that used to work great for me. Just got finished working on my putting stroke and figured it out. . . again. I was holding it too upright. Should shave some stroke off my future rounds.
:pray:

I had a good round today on an interesting course. Front 9 was 2964 yards par 35. Back 9 was 3330 yards par 37. I had 9 pars, 5 bogeys and 4 other. 87 total. This one felt really good because I started 8 and 7 on the back 9 but held it together.

Tip Tap on my Samsung G4

well done!
I had a good round today on an interesting course. Front 9 was 2964 yards par 35. Back 9 was 3330 yards par 37. I had 9 pars, 5 bogeys and 4 other. 87 total. This one felt really good because I started 8 and 7 on the back 9 but held it together.

Tip Tap on my Samsung G4

Tip Tap on my Samsung G4

Can't complain about 9 pars, great job.

My putting has been killing me with 44 putts in my last round. I use an old Callaway Tuttle putter that used to work great for me. Just got finished working on my putting stroke and figured it out. . . again. I was holding it too upright. Should shave some stroke off my future rounds.
:pray:
Yeah, that ^^^ worked out well for me. I did shoot a 95 today so that's all good. But 42 putts. Back to the drawing board. :sad:

Shot a pb of 87 today! Couldn't be more pleased right now. My previous pb was 88, which was the first time I broke 90. Oddly enough, today's round had 4 penalties as well...2 were on one hole. That was painful.

But, I stuck a 156 yard par 3 two feet from the pin. Closest I have ever been to an ace. Tap in bird.

Congrats on the pb ironcondor. Nice that you made the putt on the par 3. I hate wasting shots like that with a 2 putt par.

Tip Tap on my Samsung G4

Shot a 92 at a course i have never played before. played really well the back nine(at least for me) and shot 43. couple pars too! but the doubles and OB drives are too killer! :bad:

I failed miserably yesterday with an humiliating 48 putts for a card of 105.

I was trying out a new putter and needless to say its back on the marketplace. it is a great putter, but I couldnt line it up.

I will go and work on my short game and putting, hopefully I can remember how it works.

yesterday was 48/42 for *another* 90. triple bogey'd the 18th to ruin it once again. Today was 45/46 for 91. guh. quad on the 16th (2 in the water) and double on the 18th (one in the water)... I was +3 on the back coming into 16 and just straight blew it. it'll happen soon. just not this weekend :(

at least I can think about the 120yd approach on a par 5 that was 1 inch from being a slam-dunk eagle. pitch mark almost touching the hole. tap-in birdie... remember the good shots, not the bad, right? :D

I played 36 today ahd i got close!
I wasnt able to drive the ball this morning and it cost me some shots in route for a 97.

Got it figuredout on 18 so the next round was much prettier. 3pars 3 doubles and bogies for a 90

I played 36 today ahd i got close!
I wasnt able to drive the ball this morning and it cost me some shots in route for a 97.

Got it figuredout on 18 so the next round was much prettier. 3pars 3 doubles and bogies for a 90

Stick to it! Very early in the season still, you will get there.

I'm confident, I was consistently under 90 at the end of last season, still working on it this year, and its getting close

Stick to it! Very early in the season still, you will get there.

my last few rounds out have been my best, setting a couple of PBs. I'm going out of town this weekend so I won't get to play again until next week, meaning about 10 days between rounds. I'm a little bit worried that I'll come out of the groove I was in, but I also could use some rest. Left arm pain has been nagging lately. I guess it just sucks to be getting so much closer and not be able to get out there for a while. When I get back I'm tempted to play up a set of tees just to get 'er done :). The "whites" at my home course are only one set up, but they make three of the par 4s reachable with good drives, and all of the par 5s play much easier. but then I'm not sure how good I'd feel about finally breaking 90 on a significantly easier set of tees.

89 starts with 8 no matter where you play from. My best rounds last year, all in the high 80s, came after a bit of time off. Sometimes you just need to mentally take a break and come after it with a refreshed attitude. It also puts less pressure on my when the first holes dont go so well, but you know there is a lot of time to make up for it.

Well I am happy to so that I have had 2 rounds so far under 90 this year. I shot and 87 and an 89. With a few other rounds scattered around 90-95. At this point I feel like it's all about consistency. I have been limiting my blow up holes to no worse than double by not trying the hero shot and just getting my ball back in the fairway. Sometimes it's best to leave the ego at home.

Back