How do you measure how well you're playing?

For me it's greens in reg. that's where I struggle the most and when I'm hitting at least 50%, I know I'm playing well

Amen brother. Since I haven't been driving ball far, GIR is huge to me in route of lowering my score

Amen brother. Since I haven't been driving ball far, GIR is huge to me in route of lowering my score

Hell I'm driving the ball as far as ever and still can't hit a green lol

How do you measure how well you're playing when you're out on the course?
My level of frustration. I need to get away from that though. When I first started playing, I knew I would be bad, and so when I was shooting in the high 120's to 130's I was happy as a clam. Not happy with my score, but just happy to be out there playing and enjoying the outdoor. Then I decided to be a decent golfer, so I started taking lessons ... and immediately placed a pile of expectations onto myself. As someone who used sports to pay his way through college, the idea of failing at a sport was pretty alien to me (unless you count missing the cut on my high school baseball team my freshman year). Of course, my college days were 20 years ago, and so now I need to realize that I've not maintained myself like I should have, and to get back to that level of physical - and more importantly mental - prowess is going to take time. I am an impatient creature however, so I've been frustrated a lot since I started taking lessons.

For me it is two things, firstly the score , as ultimately that is the number I put towards my GHIN. Secondly I look at how I managed the bad moments both with the club and the mind. Did I let a bad swing turn into a bad hole? Did I let a bad swing ruin part of my day?

Score and ball flight.

Score and ball flight.

I like the ball flight point. It's crazy that we can measure our game by how we hit the ball on not just on numbers.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

Score. Every bad or missed shot or putt is caused by me. There is good luck, bad luck, pretty and not so pretty shots, but the only thing that remains is the number of total shots.

If I score 70-75 I know I've played an excellent round, no matter how many ugly shots I would make...and you can't make that many bad shots if you shoot those numbers. 75-79 is good, 80-83 is ok, 83-85 is meh... and 85-90 is not good. 90+ is "I don't want to play this stupid game anymore."

Back