Playing as a single

Don't sweat it. Have fun. If a group is a 2 or 3-some, they're expecting to get grouped up. If they didn't really want that to happen, they'd find a fourth of their own. I always enjoy difference perspectives on how players approach the golf course.

Being a new golfer it's a bit intimidating to be paired up with people you don't know, but that may happen this weekend. I'm just curious how often you go to the course by yourself and leave your playing partners to chance.

Also are there any unwritten rules or do's and don't's when playing as a single with a group.

Anyone who is eager/willing to let you join their group will be good partners. It means they like golf just as much as you.

I play as a single most of the time, but the times I usually play lends to it not being a big deal. On weekends I'll usually pair up.

I'm in Tampa FL, fairly new to the game myself. I've only played in the westchase/Carrollwood area. I normally go with one of my buddies who is also new to the game. I try to every weekend, let me know if you want to play a round.

Vokey. I play in the same area. Was looking to play early Saturday morning this weekend. Dunno if you'd be interested but send me a PM if you wanna play a round. Or sometime in the future

I just write their names down on my scorecard. lol. I try to remember one name, and the wife gets the others.

yea but having the names and remembering which one belongs to which can be just as bad for me. lol :)

Being a new golfer it's a bit intimidating to be paired up with people you don't know, but that may happen this weekend. I'm just curious how often you go to the course by yourself and leave your playing partners to chance.

Also are there any unwritten rules or do's and don't's when playing as a single with a group.

I play as a single from time to time. Just like you when I was beginner I always felt nervous and intimidated because I can't always strike consistently. Just try to have fun make conversation with them and tell them that you're a beginner. Most golfers will understand because ALL GOLFERS were horrible when they started. You'll get better and more comfortable playing with strangers as time goes on :)

I don't mind playing as a single. I work second shift, so I play a lot by myself through the week.

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone

Before THP, ended up most of the time as playing as a single. Most of my golf friends have odd days off, hardly match days off. I really enjoy the rounds I have played with fellow THPers. I am glad I joined, have gained a wealth of knowledge

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

My Saturday club is always mixed fours. The last club I was at did the same. A great way to get to know the other players in your club. I found it abit hard at first, nerves etc but its now turned me into a more confident golfer :)

I probably play solo about half the time. It is a great way to get comfortable with different levels of golfer. Only my early AM rounds do I usually sneak out by myself. I also agree names can be a challenge sometimes.

I'd tell the starter what your level of play is and see if he can pair you with a group near your abilities.

I was intimidated the first time I went out solo, but it was completely unfounded. Almost every time I head out solo, I stay that way, which helps me hit multiple balls from different lies as I work on my game. One time I caught up with a couple and they asked if I wanted to join, which worked out fine as they were very friendly and were there more for the exercise than the game itself I think.

I go out as a single almost every Friday. I work 4 -10's and am off on Fridays. I go and meet new people and have a blast.
Sometimes I run into someone I know, but most of the time not. If there are unwritten rules for this, I don't know any of them other than be friendly and have fun.

I play as one regularly. New friends!

I play as a single fairly often. You meet some nice people along the way, especially the better players. Everyone always has a tip or two to give, so do take that with a grain of salt. Like others have said most just enjoy the game when you pair up. That's why we play anyway.

I do this all the time and the majority of the time the people are great. Every now and again you get linked up with someone a little off. I definitely enjoy meeting new people and one of my best friends is a random I met on the course.

Anyway, the hardest part is remembering names past the first hole. lol
SO true!

I always have my scorecard with me at the first tee so that when I meet my playing partners I write down their names on the card - otherwise it's gone cause I'm thinking about that first shot or whatever.

I tend to play as a single quite often when there is something specific I want to practice or need to get done quick. I find it fun just to go out there and drop a few balls and hit different shots

I've done it off and on for 40 years. No big deal. Just be sure to observe good etiquette, keep pace, and 99.9% of golfers will be happy to have you join up with them. You don't have to be a good player as long as you just don't hold up the rest.

Anyway, the hardest part is remembering names past the first hole. lol
I am terrible with that. I only do it one way. I use a color of clothing (shirt perhaps) or some other association and say to myself "ok its big steve, red mike, and danny stripes" or whatever it is and I repeat it in my head several times and then I usually stand a pretty good chance to remember. But if I do nothing I'll forget and then ask again and forget again and so on and its very embarrassing.

Ain't it the truth! I have to really focus to remember. I usually write the names down on my card as soon as I can.

I would guess that a third of the rounds I play are when I go to the course as a single. I can think of only once that I was paired with a jerk. I don't know if its because nice people play golf or because golf creates nice people, but as a group, I find golfers to be an extremely friendly group. I also find that most golfers really don't care what you shoot, they are more concerned with what they may be shooting. It only matters how fast you play.

I would also note that I have actually met some regular playing partners when going as a single.

If you frequent a course at a similar time each weekend, you can become friends with regulars and the like. Playing as a single made me nervous when I started but after you do it for the 172nd time, it is no big deal. Everyone is out to enjoy golf so you instantly have a mutual talking point.

Good golf etiquette and play your game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love playing as a single since it allows me to play a couple of shots from certain locations on a hole if I'm not slowing other groups down. That being said, Tuesday night I showed up to the course looking to go out and they had 2 foursomes going off over the next 20 minutes. A 2-some had just tee'd off so the clubhouse manager said, "grab your clubs and catch up to these guys." Not 5 minutes after arriving I was already marching down the first fairway. No time to even stretch my back or arms before teeing off and it showed when I hit my 5i fat off the tee and had to play my second shot from about 5 feet into the fairway.

Learned my lesson many years ago.....paired up a couple of golfers. Into the round I hit a few bad shots and would swear at myself.....few holes later conversation goes to what we do for a living....one of the guys was a minister. Of course I apologized for my language and tried to keep the language clean from then on.....

Back