Early Extension problems.

beeDoubleU

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi,

Does anyone have any advice on: swing thoughts, drills, or training aids - to help with early extension. I've been struggling with this for about two years, and I don't seem to make any progress.
I've been playing for about 20 years, I'm about a 14 handicap, hit my driver about 220-230 yds, 6 iron 150 yds.
I've tried the drill where you put a chair behind you and lean against it, and I've tried placing a shaft in the ground in front of my right knee to avoid hitting it on the downswing.
So far, nothing seems to help.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The drills you are working on are not going to stop an early release or cast. You need to hold the angle created by the club and the right arm until it reaches your right hip and then you release the club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo_Rhuczgj4

This video may be of assistance

The drills you are working on are not going to stop an early release or cast. You need to hold the angle created by the club and the right arm until it reaches your right hip and then you release the club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo_Rhuczgj4

This video may be of assistance

Thanks Tadashi! I'll try this next time I go to the range.

Other good tips specific to Early Extension here

Other good tips specific to Early Extension here

Thanks ward, the video by monte makes perfect sense to me.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

The video from monte would not be a direction I'd guide anyone, at least via a YouTube video. Sitting into your heals can only bring issues to the table. Trevino had a homemade swing that was his own just as Bubba does. Neither of which can be taught. They are both 100% feel.

Love that second video.

The video from monte would not be a direction I'd guide anyone, at least via a YouTube video. Sitting into your heals can only bring issues to the table. Trevino had a homemade swing that was his own just as Bubba does. Neither of which can be taught. They are both 100% feel.

Hi Freddie, thanks for the heads up. I wasn't thinking about going to the heels as a swing thought, but i can see how Monte's advice could lead to that if one lost connection to the ground. The way I integrate the 10:30 move is to imagine a heavy object like a dresser is pressing against my tailbone in the top of the backswing-downswing transition. I want to feel like I'm pressing the inside of my right foot into the ground with consistent pressure to hold up that dresser and push it to 10:30. As this is happening I try to straighten my left leg.
This has been my latest attempt to cure ee.
My theory is that faulty footwork is the cause of my problem.
Does that sound accurate?

Understand how that could be misread--did not think of that Freddie--sometimes hard to describe "feel"--I definitely don't go heals as you mention-- "zipper back feel" helps me to keep but back versus a rock back--but hard to avoid possibly someone doing it wrong if they did not know that. The second video with the causes and flexibility concerns is very good and informative.

Hi Freddie, thanks for the heads up. I wasn't thinking about going to the heels as a swing thought, but i can see how Monte's advice could lead to that if one lost connection to the ground. The way I integrate the 10:30 move is to imagine a heavy object like a dresser is pressing against my tailbone in the top of the backswing-downswing transition. I want to feel like I'm pressing the inside of my right foot into the ground with consistent pressure to hold up that dresser and push it to 10:30. As this is happening I try to straighten my left leg.
This has been my latest attempt to cure ee.
My theory is that faulty footwork is the cause of my problem.
Does that sound accurate?

Swinging into the inside if the right foot should occur from the onset of the golf swing. If you do this then there is no need to set into a 1030 position which not one player on four does. But they all do swing into their right inner leg and drive through with the legs.

Swinging into the inside if the right foot should occur from the onset of the golf swing. If you do this then there is no need to set into a 1030 position which not one player on four does. But they all do swing into their right inner leg and drive through with the legs.

Thanks Freddie, that sounds like good advice to me. I like the economy of keeping pressure on the inner right foot throughout the swing!

Hi Freddie, I'm pressing my inner right foot into the ground and that is helping me hit it more solid ! But i think i have a long way to go. EE is just one of many problems i see now. Do you think i should single out my faulty hip movement and improve that first, or are my club face and shaft plane issues contributing to the EE?
Would you mind looking at this swing?
Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
If your Into the reading side of golf instruction . I would recommend the Gerry Hogan book .. His side karate chop transiton will help with early ee. A great read

If your Into the reading side of golf instruction . I would recommend the Gerry Hogan book .. His side karate chop transiton will help with early ee. A great read

Thanks. I'll check it out!

Hi Freddie,
I've been practicing the pump drill that you recommended (try to get 10-30 minutes in each night), and I've been stretching my hamstrings out each night as well. The last two times I've been to the range I've hit the ball well. I'm seeing more power along with a hook miss, rather than the weak slice that is my usual miss.
So I took some video after the range session today, and I can see that I still have a long way to go. My goal is to stop the early extension by next year.

So this is where I am right now with my swing. The swing thought that I'm trying to integrate is starting the downswing with my arms/hands, I want to feel like my hands are dropping to the ground while my back is facing the target. That's my goal at least.

Thanks again to everyone for your help! I'm always interested and grateful for any advice or input.

[video=youtube;8nZ-c8iLErE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nZ-c8iLErE[/video]

Good looking swing! I am not skilled enough at video review to critique it, but if improvement can be found, Freddie is the man to do it! Just wanted to say thank you for updating and shooting your swing!

Good looking swing! I am not skilled enough at video review to critique it, but if improvement can be found, Freddie is the man to do it! Just wanted to say thank you for updating and shooting your swing!

Thanks Ward! Freddie has helped me a great deal. I really appreciate your help with posting those videos too. I've been watching that Swing Fix video a lot lately.

I looked at the three videos you posted. Please tell why you think you are extending early?

I looked at the three videos you posted. Please tell why you think you are extending early?

Hi Freddie,
Maybe I'm confusing my terminology. When I watch my swing on video I see the line of my rear end is closer to the ball at impact and in the follow through. Also, I thought I was losing my spine angle too early.

Stay down and keeping spine angle is completely different than early extension. I looked at your swing and I see no issues with your move. There is no cure for staying in the shot or keeping spine angle. You just have to do it.

If you are guilty of anything it's playing with a shut club face.

Thanks Freddie! Sorry I've taken so long to reply to your last post. I feel really embarrassed that I've been working on something that didn't actually exist for so long. Now that I know better, I can focus on an actual swing fault - i.e. the shut club face.
I've been working on getting the club face in a more neutral position when it's hip high on the backswing. I find I'm great at getting the toe of the club to point up when my hands are hip high in a practice swing. However, when I take an actual swing with a golf ball, that shut club face is in full effect. Do you have any advice on ways to correct this habit? I tend to respond better to feel based swing thoughts, but any advice is welcome. Thanks so much for all your help.

Thanks Freddie! Sorry I've taken so long to reply to your last post. I feel really embarrassed that I've been working on something that didn't actually exist for so long. Now that I know better, I can focus on an actual swing fault - i.e. the shut club face.
I've been working on getting the club face in a more neutral position when it's hip high on the backswing. I find I'm great at getting the toe of the club to point up when my hands are hip high in a practice swing. However, when I take an actual swing with a golf ball, that shut club face is in full effect. Do you have any advice on ways to correct this habit? I tend to respond better to feel based swing thoughts, but any advice is welcome. Thanks so much for all your help.

Get the toe pointed to the sky on the backswing by the time the club reaches the right hip. This can be achieved by turning the shoulders and folding the right arm to the club into a solid position at the top.

Get the toe pointed to the sky on the backswing by the time the club reaches the right hip. This can be achieved by turning the shoulders and folding the right arm to the club into a solid position at the top.

Hi Freddie, How are you? Hope all is well with your prep for the Morgan cup. I'm working on the shoulder turn/right arm fold, but the shut clubface is a stubborn habit. Is it possible to fold the right arm too early?

By the way, I've been implementing your one swing thought advice into my swing, and I'm seeing progress. I had my first 4 birdie round the other day! Thanks for your time and help.

Back