Laying up on par5s, what do you use?

I've found my best results when laying up and playing smart golf. I will use whatever club gives me 130 or under for my approach shot, sometimes it even involves using something like a 9 iron for my second shot on a par 5 but once I started committing to playing smart it didn't feel weird doing this.

I typically want to leave myself either between 135-145 to have a nice smooth 9i or PW depending on wind and where the flag is, or I try to leave myself around 100 for a nice SW in. I don't carry a driver anymore, but my home course doesn't really require it.

Usually my 4i and then I deal with whatever is left, I'm like a few here that want to be as close as possible even when that is a partial 56*

My lay up club depends on where I want to end up. I tend to favor my 5i or 6i since those are the longest clubs that I have confidence in. I usually try to lay up to 120 yards or to the next club up or down.

I usually try to get to 115, that way I don't have to worry about rolling inside of 100, and if I hit it poorly I'm still hitting a wedge in to the green. It usually means I'm hitting a short iron on my second shot.

I like to leave myself bettwen 90 and 115. I usually just which side of the fairway will give me best shot to the green and go from there.

I get the distance to the green and then I use whichever club will get me about 75 yards out for my approach shot because thats a distance I practice from regularly and one I am very confident in being able to put it close enough to give me a good look at birdie. The 75 yard mark gives me a little flexibility as well in case I end up a few yards short or long of that because I feel pretty good anywhere 85-65 yards out.

Depending on the hole and what might be lurking at either distance, I try to leave myself either 125 or 60.

If I am in good position and need to lay up, 7 or 8 iron is always a solid choice. On your average par 5, that leaves me about 100 yards out. I would rather be at 100 than say, 40.

If I am laying up I will hit whatever club I think will give me 140-155 to the green. That is a distance where I feel most confident at.

my normal MO has been to hit hybrid and hope to have a short pitch or chip onto the green. On longer par 5s, I'll sometimes go 7-iron to lay me up to 100-125 yards, something that I'm comfortable getting on the green.

I usually lay up with a 7 or 8 iron depending how far I have to around 100. Depending on the drive though I can be going as high as 3 wood hahaha

If I am going to lay up I like to hit whatever will give me around 80yrds, a 3/4 54º wedge. If I know from the start that I have no shot of getting there in 2 I might play a hybrid off the tee.

I almost always hit driver on par 5's so if I feel the need to lay up, that distance isn't very great to get in that 125 and in range. Usually never more than a 6 or 7 iron. I will usually take one extra club, choke down and try and hit a 85% shot just to move it down and keep it in the fairway. Never a need to go after a shot like that, just swing easy and keep it in good position.

I get all I can get because it's very rare that I ever even sniff a green in two.

100yds or in for me.
My usual play from tee to green on par 5's are driver, 3W or 5W depending on the lie, then an easy short iron shot or bump and run shot.

On the rare occasion that I decide to lay up on a Par 5, the yardage I'm trying to play to will dictate the club I use. My favorite yardage to play from is 110 yards, so I'll hit whatever club to get me to that yardage.

Of the 4 par 5's at the local course, all but one is basically takes three shots to get there. #4 is wide open from an elevated tee box. It usually plays into the wind but other than a couple of bunkers that aren't terrible there is no trouble. Its bomb away all day.

#8 isn't that long, just over 500 yards, but plays nearly 60 feet uphill tee to green. I've been within a few yards of the front but never reached it.

#11 is long with an intimidating tee shot, and a carry across the corner of a pond to reach in two. If I hit a good drive, I'll try to go 7i-7i. I popped a drive up a few weeks ago which landed on the front tee box, hit a decent 5 iron to about 190 and flew just over the pin with a 7 wood. That was an unconventional play though.

#15 is a short downhill par 5, you almost have to lay up off the tee as there's a creek & woods left and woods right, the fairway tapers to only 40 feet wide at 225 yard from the tee box. The 2nd shot has to thread the needle through that neck. Then you have an easy shot to a green that is set behind a grove of tall sycamores. Its like the hole plays with a late dogleg...

So my usually layup club would a mid iron or occasionally a hybrid.

My lay-up lately has usually been a 7i, which on most holes leaves me anything from a 54* wedge to a PW in my hand for the approach. I sometimes struggle with picking a spot on the fairway and hitting to it leaving me on the wrong angle of approach

If you're talking about strictly laying up, I'll hit whatever gets me between 80 and 100 yards, as 80-85 yards is my 58 degree wedge and 95-100 yards is my 54 degree wedge. That said, some people would consider getting within 10-30 yards of the green a layup on a par 5, but I'm trying to go for that shot more this year if there isn't a lot of trouble around the greens. My percentage of hitting a green on the 3rd shot will always be better from 10-30 yards away as compared to 80-100 yards away. But the 40-70 yard zone is a dead zone for me, I'm not all that confident in that range.

If I've got any shot to get there (under 230) I'll give it a go...depending on hazards and whatnot. But if there's no way, I'm usually laying up to somewhere between 80-130 yards to give myself a good look at the pin and a shot at birdie. My voice caddie has REALLY helped me stick to this and gauge where I'm at this year.

I lay up almost 75% of the time when a hole is over 500yds. I usually go 3iron down to about 270yds. Then i take a 6 or 7 iron down to 90 yds which is a full sand wedge for me. I did however just get a new driver so i will going for them tonight.

Depends on how long the hole is and how my lie is on the second shot, but either a 3H (190-200 yard club), 4H (165-180 yard club), or 7 iron (145 yard club).

Whatever club leaves me with 100 yards, which is what I hit the 58*

Try to lay up around 120 full gap wedge distance. I feel most confident with that one

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

Back