The Official 2013-2014 NBA Thread

If the votes are not public, I don't think it would be unanimous. Cuban has already said that forcing him to sell the team is a "very, very, very slippery slope".

But if Cuban thought that sterlings coments might hurt his teams value he would be the first one with a torch

This is where Magic Johnson steps in with his new business partner, V. Stiviano.
Magic is going to all over this waiting to pounce maybe he will get Larry Ellison involved

But if Cuban thought that sterlings coments might hurt his teams value he would be the first one with a torch

I agree with that. Cuban will definitely keep his best interest in mind, as will every other NBA owner. If Sterling is forced to sell, then the NBA/Silver will own (or at least "manage") the team for a brief stint, most likely. That would have happened to the last 2 teams Chris Paul played for... coincidence?

Honestly, I don't think the value of the team will "plummet". The Clippers still have 2 of the most marketable stars in the NBA and the team has one of the brightest futures in the NBA, all in a league that is rapidly growing financially. You can argue that players and coaches will not want to be associated with the Clippers because of Sterling (which would obviously hurt the team's brand), but that never stopped them before and he has had several instances of racism and bigotry. In the long run, money talks and people will attach on to worthwhile ventures. With that said, I am interested in following along this with process, though. This is probably the last thing the Clippers wanted in the middle of playoff run with the better seeds in front of them struggling.

Whether you want to call it plummet or something else, it is virtually certain the value of the team will decrease if Sterling maintains ownership. Sponsors are running away, the coach and players will do whatever they can to get out of there and they'll stop selling out every game. It's LA and they're not the Lakers, so people will stop coming like they do now, which I'm all too familiar with when I attended games and half the place was the empty and half the place was wearing uniforms of the other team.

As for the bolded part, Sterling has killed this team, many times over. No one wanted to play for them, in large part because of Sterling's reputation and pattern of running a crappy organization in general. It's only been the last few years where the stars have wanted to stay and they've seen a lot more success, resulting in playoff appearances, a lot more nationally televised games and of course, extremely ratched up ticket prices. If he stays, a lot of that will at the very least start degrading, which translates to less value.

As a life long fan, this basically feels like a prison shank to the stomach. There was a glimpse of making it to the finals, which has been unheard of for decades. Then I heard about this, watched the team play half heartedly and distracted basketball on Sunday and am now holding on to a sliver of hope they can turn things around. I'm hoping for the sake of the team he just leaves, but knowing him, I could see him try to kill things as best he can.

As a life long fan, this basically feels like a prison shank to the stomach. There was a glimpse of making it to the finals, which has been unheard of for decades. Then I heard about this, watched the team play half heartedly and distracted basketball on Sunday and am now holding on to a sliver of hope they can turn things around. I'm hoping for the sake of the team he just leaves, but knowing him, I could see him try to kill things as best he can.

No doubt. Sterling will not try to end this quietly or peacefully.

[video=youtube_share;g6bLKe9-Mto]http://youtu.be/g6bLKe9-Mto[/video]

Good take by Bomani Jones. Starts about 3:40 in. And his article written 8 years ago that he mentions.

Joey Crawford is the worst. Stops Durant right before his second free throw to yell at the scorer's table to make sure both teams are shown as in the bonus on the scoreboard.

joeywantsthatball.gif

Joey Crawford is the worst. Stops Durant right before his second free throw to yell at the scorer's table to make sure both teams are shown as in the bonus on the scoreboard.

joeywantsthatball.gif
Conspiracy theorists unite!!!

I had already fallen asleep by this point. Did he make the free throw after the interruption?

Solid troll job here.

i don't know what i want to watch more tonight:
1) watch jeremy lin do some stupid play in the 4th that leads to the rockets losing the game
2) watch dwight get fouled every play only for no whistle to be blown. the league protects precious blake griffin why not dwight. dwight has to get tomahawked for a call. watch the beatings he gets inn the paint
3) see harden ole a million times on defense and pout on offense
4) aldridge putting on a clinic. i am not that much of a homer. i like good basketball as much as the next guy

#BitterRocketsFan

95' playoffs repeating themselves... buuuuut, the '95 team had one of the greatest players of all time. Time for Dwight to channel half of his inner Dream and for Troy Daniels to channel his inner Mario Elie for the Kiss of Death. However, McHale is likely gone if they get bounced, so that will be nice.

I hate the Thunder, so I may be biased, but I was fine with the interruption. You don't want to potentially interrupt the game on an inbound (if MEM did not call a timeout) or a live ball if he missed the free throw, so I think he interrupted it at the right time. KD is one of the greatest players on the planet. Crawford is not the reason he choked on the FT. Scoreboard should always be right when it is functioning.

I hate the Thunder, so I may be biased, but I was fine with the interruption. You don't want to potentially interrupt the game on an inbound (if MEM did not call a timeout) or a live ball if he missed the free throw, so I think he interrupted it at the right time. KD is one of the greatest players on the planet. Crawford is not the reason he choked on the FT. Scoreboard should always be right when it is functioning.

Interrupting an inbound and interrupting a shooter as he is about to shoot are two completely different things. They stop live action all the time on clock errors. The bonus light not being lit up is not worth the show he put on at that moment. If it's a score/clock error, I'd understand. He could've waited for the free throw to be shot and rebounded or made, then blown the whistle. Terrible job on Crawford's part.

Interrupting an inbound and interrupting a shooter as he is about to shoot are two completely different things. They stop live action all the time on clock errors. The bonus light not being lit up is not worth the show he put on at that moment. If it's a score/clock error, I'd understand. He could've waited for the free throw to be shot and rebounded or made, then blown the whistle. Terrible job on Crawford's part.

Stopping it at the FT didn't give either team a free timeout to game plan, though. Stopping it before the inbound would have let Memphis stop the clock, draw up a play, all without having to burn a critical timeout. Sure, it was a power move by Crawford, but the board should always be correct no matter what it is.

Stopping it at the FT didn't give either team a free timeout to game plan, though. Stopping it before the inbound would have let Memphis stop the clock, draw up a play, all without having to burn a critical timeout. Sure, it was a power move by Crawford, but the board should always be correct no matter what it is.

Agree to disagree.

When they look at a toe on the line or a clock issue, it happens. I don't think he was worried about any free timeouts. They still had time to draw up the play as he stood there and yelled at the scorer's table. The interruption at that moment was awful.

Rockets live to fight another day. I guess Mario Elie should be a motivational speaker.

Mike D'Antoni has resigned as coach of the Los Angeles Lakers, the team announced Wednesday night.
I thought for sure he'd get fired.

Who wants the Lakers job? Maybe the Clippers job will be open, Rivers stays in LA?

I thought for sure he'd get fired.

Who wants the Lakers job? Maybe the Clippers job will be open, Rivers stays in LA?

Not sure Rivers would want to move (even though he has another year on his contract anyways). Clippers are in a much better position right now than the Lakers, who are hoping and praying free agency gets them out of the basement. I've heard they'll probably ask Coach K again. I know Kerr is a hot name right now. Byron Scott has been mentioned, not sure that'd be the nest choice.

Let's go Hawks!

The Hawks always play with my emotions. This is going to be a LONG 4th quarter.

Z-Bo suspended for game 7. LOLOLOL

i'm in denial right now. lillard didn't make the shot. the series is going to game 7. rockets won after parsons putback

Back